Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 26, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #271 of 16,105
Well, no...haha..actually nothing so complicated. I was thinking of using the room correction DSP in JRiver, where I believe you can assign stereo channels to mutiple channels in JRiver, only you cannot hear any difference on your headphones because it's still only two cups and two ears. But, my thinking is, if you assign let's say, left and right channels of the stereo mix to all of these different channels, and then feed that signal into the A16, wouldn't it then assign these channels to the PRIR file giving you, not discrete instruments in each channel, but at least an immersive sound, having the original stereo mix flying at you from different angles as speakers would?

It's not true 5.1 or 7.1, but it would create quite a beautiful sound I would think.

Yes, you can upmix from 2 channels to 16 channels, and the A16 can assign those 16 channels to 16 virtual speakers.  The upmixing can be done either by JRiver or by the A16's Illusonic N:M (which the A8 lacks).

Aug 26, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #272 of 16,105
Yes, you can upmix from 2 channels to 16 channels, and the A16 can assign those 16 channels to 16 virtual speakers.  The upmixing can be done either by JRiver or by the A16's Illusonic N:M (which the A8 lacks).

Brilliant! It's unfortunate that I cannot fund it just now, because I just dropped some serious cash on a new DAC. Nevertheless, I will be watching the Way closely, and when I get a few more dollars I don't see any reason not to purchase one.

Of course I haven't heard one, so all of this is on faith. Still, in theory, even if I get 95% of the effect without my own PRIR, upmixing familiar recordings to a max of 16 channels sounds not only captivating, but also tons of fun!

Aug 27, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #273 of 16,105
I see that the KickStarter campaign now is at 900£/unit +VAT for delivery in July 2017.  I may not have the CASH now to participate to the campaign.

--> What will be the buying price for NON participants to the KickStarter campaign (list price for the public), and when the product will be available to everybody for sale (after kickstarters) ?

thanks

Aug 27, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #274 of 16,105
What will be the buying price for NON participants to the KickStarter campaign (list price for the public), and when the product will be available to everybody for sale (after kickstarters) ?

In a reply in the Kickstarter comments on 7 August Stephen Smyth stated 'The internet price (from our website) will be US$1595. If you live in the EU then you will pay VAT on top of that.'

Aug 29, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #275 of 16,105
In a reply in the Kickstarter comments on 7 August Stephen Smyth stated 'The internet price (from our website) will be US$1595. If you live in the EU then you will pay VAT on top of that.'

I think I am correct in saying that you will also pay VAT on the £900. It is combined with the delivery charge when you checkout on Kickstarter.

Aug 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #276 of 16,105
I think I am correct in saying that you will also pay VAT on the £900. It is combined with the delivery charge when you checkout on Kickstarter.

That is correct, the Kickstarter deliver charge will cover both the VAT and the delivery, as KS can't handle tax to some addresses only. So for the UK the total will be £1110 for UK delivery. At current exchange rates the post KS price would be about £1490 including VAT and shipping for UK delivery.

Sep 6, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #277 of 16,105
If anyone is interested, I have used my IEM earbud rubbers with great success. They fit much better than the foams and seem to improve the overall balance of the left to right measurements. 

Might be an addition for the A16, they work much better IMHO.

Sep 6, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #278 of 16,105
If anyone is interested, I have used my IEM earbud rubbers with great success. They fit much better than the foams and seem to improve the overall balance of the left to right measurements. 

Might be an addition for the A16, they work much better IMHO.

That would be for the microphones?

Sep 6, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #280 of 16,105
I saw a Facebook post the Kickstarter campaign was active with 3 day left. I checked and it was even though it had previously ended. One last chance to decide.

Man, I just can't do it right now, having just bought a Chord DAVE. Still, this is something I would very much like to try, even if I have to pay full price. But the A16...this could really be a game changer (and I never use that term lightly).

Edit: The only thing I don't know, having never experienced the A16, is how non-intrusive the tone of the headphone amp is. I would hate if it adds any intrinsic coloration to what's coming out of the DAC (or, at least, in my case a DAC).

Sep 7, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #282 of 16,105
Well, I wasn't able to pledge what I wanted to; nevertheless, I'm believe I'm in when this hits the market.

I had forgotten that you can take a wav file in Audacity, and assign L/R channels to as many tracks as you want to, way past 16 (which would obviously be overkill anyway). They make for hella big files when you save them back to wav; still, with cost of HD space these days, who cares?

Now, does the A16 have a coax input for use from a DAC?

NM, I see the inputs now on the advert for it. RCA inputs will work.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:12 PM Post #284 of 16,105
I'm curious about headphone compatibility as far as which headphones would sound best with the Realiser. HD800 is obviously a great choice as that is what they have been using for demos all this time.

Do measurements take into account the headphone being used? For example if I were to use my TH900 which had a warm and somewhat bass heavy signature, would the Realiser take that into account and EQ the headphones accordingly?

And maybe there might even be better headphones for the job out there than the HD800 by the time the A16 releases? The new Utopia for example.

Sep 9, 2016 at 1:19 AM Post #285 of 16,105
I'm curious about headphone compatibility as far as which headphones would sound best with the Realiser. HD800 is obviously a great choice as that is what they have been using for demos all this time.

Do measurements take into account the headphone being used? For example if I were to use my TH900 which had a warm and somewhat bass heavy signature, would the Realiser take that into account and EQ the headphones accordingly?

And maybe there might even be better headphones for the job out there than the HD800 by the time the A16 releases? The new Utopia for example.

It would seem to me, and I could be wrong, that the A16 is picking up the dimensions, the speaker placement, the intensic resonance of the room, while your headphones are what creates the "speaker" sigbature, because obviously that's the only missing ingredient that's left, having extracted everything from the virtual room but the sound signature of the speakers, themselves. That's where you cans come in, whethee they're Utopias or Beats by Dre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back