Smyth Research Realiser A16
Aug 23, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #241 of 16,022
I will be going with the 2U version. While the headstand idea is cool, just not my cup of tea and I also would not have the vertical room for it in my setup.

Yep. 2U for me. I just hope that both versions go into production.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #242 of 16,022
yup same here.

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #244 of 16,022
I had à demo at Munich but... I did not really understood if It Is mainly for gamers and films or if It can be of "audiofile usage" ? Can we use our own high-end DAC and headphone Amp or do we need to use it's internal DAC/Amp ?

Also, does It works optimal with 2 chanels ONLY music files ( high-res HiFi files or TIDAL streaming) or only with 5.1 or 7.1 files/DVD for movies ?

All very good questions, chief among which I'm interested in the emphasized part.

Let's say I've already got a chain for stereo listening (PC, DAC, Amp, Headphones). Would using my own music collection or streaming benefit from the Realizer added somewhere in the chain? If yes, in what way? 

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #245 of 16,022

All very good questions, chief among which I'm interested in the emphasized part.

Let's say I've already got a chain for stereo listening (PC, DAC, Amp, Headphones). Would using my own music collection or streaming benefit from the Realizer added somewhere in the chain? If yes, in what way? 

You have to understand the purpose of the Realiser:

(a) It is NOT intended or designed to "improve" sound.  It is not trying to "optimize" anything.

(b) It is built to DUPLICATE THE SOUND (as your own brain and ears hear sound) OF ANY GIVEN REAL MULTIPLE LOUDSPEAKER LISTENING ENVIRONMENT, WHEN PLAYED THROUGH STEREO HEADPHONES.  You won't realize you're listening to any source program (2-channel stereo or multi-channel) through headphones, but instead you will think all of those same multiple loudspeakers of the original listening environment are all around you... same as they were originally... and that the source program is actually being played back through those real loudspeakers.

The "measurement" of the listening environment is performed through calibrated microphones in your two ears, and sweep frequency sounds generated by the Realiser through every one of the loudspeakers in the environment.  The result is a digital file called a PRIR, which when used for playback through the Realiser will accomplish the "duplication" of the original listening environment sound, no matter what source program you play through it.  It's as if that source program was being played in the real original listening environment, through those speakers, electronics, cables, wall/ceiling baffles and flooring, etc..

If those loudspeakers and the room are "crummy", then the Realiser will duplicate that "crummy" sound through that PRIR.  If it's a million dollar sound mixing room with the world's best electronics and reproduction construction, you're very lucky indeed because that PRIR will give you very much joy.

If you use a headphone to play 2-channel stereo music, the sound is "in your head". Or, maybe if the headphones are terrific the sound field is somewhat "outside your head".  But it's pretty much around your head.

If instead, you listened to that same 2-channel stereo music program through two L/R loudspeakers on the floor in the room in front of you while sitting in a chair "in the stereo sweet-spot", with the speakers positioned say at 30 degrees left and right of center from where you're seated, the sound of the same stereo music will be very different than how it sounds when played directly through the headphones.  One sound is from headphones (i.e. sound inside your skull), and the other is from loudspeakers physically in front of you at 30 degree offsets from dead-center.

The Realiser is built to let you listen through stereo headphones, but have it appear that you're listening to those real loudspeakers physically in front of you.  It's a very different listening experience, and if you're wanting to experience listening to real speakers in front of you a real room, but through headphones, that's what the Realiser does.  If you're lucky enough to be able to "measure" a wonderful listening environment and walk away with the PRIR, you've just given yourself to listen to any audio program from now on as if you were in that listening environment doing it.

And if you extend the concept to multi-channel sound (e.g. 5.1, 7.1, etc.) intended for playback say in a home theater with a real multi-loudspeaker sound system, the Realiser is built to have you again listen through stereo headphones, but have it appear that you really do have multiple loudspeakers arrayed all around your seating position (as measured per the PRIR from that real multi-loudspeaker listening environment).

The Realiser DOES NOT "IMPROVE" anything in the playback through the headphones.  It DUPLICATES the listening environment represented by the PRIR file you're using for playback, however good or bad it was.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #246 of 16,022
  ....The Realiser DOES NOT "IMPROVE" anything in the playback through the headphones.  It DUPLICATES the listening environment represented by the PRIR file you're using for playback, however good or bad it was.

Even if the original material (the High-res music file) is only a standard 2 channel version ? ( like Tidal streaming or HD-Track download )

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #247 of 16,022
I take it that for two channel no specially encoded music is required and that Tidal will give the Realiser the signal it needs to work it's magic?

2.0 content is just as specially-coded as 5.1, 7.1, etc. You'll get the sound as if your were sitting in front of the two main speakers (assuming you don't put on any mixing / routing options).

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #250 of 16,022

What about rendering 2.0 content on a 5.1 PRIR or whatever? How would that work?

Only the two "active" L/R speakers (out of the 5.1 setup) normally utilized for 2.0 content are simulated through the headphones, even if you are using a 5.1 PRIR (which measured a 5.1 loudspeaker listening environment). .

It's exactly as if you played back 2.0 stereo audio through your 5.1 home theater room, with only the two front L/R speakers actually producing sound and the others silent because nothing's fed to them.

Again, whatever you would have experienced if you were actually in that real room (represented by the PRIR measurement file) listening to ANY audio program fed through whatever are the loudspeakers in that room... that is exactly how it will seem to you through your headphones.  No more, no less, no different.  You think you're listening to actual loudspeakers located physically around you (both horizontally, and now with the A16 vertically as well)... but magically it's coming through stereo headphones on your head.

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #251 of 16,022
I think the Realiser does attempt to improve the sound, in the sense that duplicating a finely-tuned room can improve the timbre as well as the soundstage relative to a standalone headphone. For example, the Realiser can (perhaps) remove the 6 kHz peak in the HD800 if of course it does not appear in the room measurements. In fact, whether the new equalization in the A16 can do this more effectively than the A8 is an important issue, and will affect what headphones are a best match. 

Aug 23, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #252 of 16,022
  I think the Realiser does attempt to improve the sound, in the sense that duplicating a finely-tuned room can improve the timbre as well as the soundstage relative to a standalone headphone. For example, the Realiser can (perhaps) remove the 6 kHz peak in the HD800 if of course it does not appear in the room measurements. In fact, whether the new equalization in the A16 can do this more effectively than the A8 is an important issue, and will affect what headphones are a best match. 

Well, to be fair, my long anticipated purchase of #0001 A8 in April 2009 (I first learned of Smyth and SVS and the Realiser technology in a Widescreen Review article I saw back in 2004) because I do not have my own home theater room/system, i.e. no loudspeakers through which I listen to BluRay movies, HDTV, etc.  I arranged for a PRIR measurement in the AIX mixing room in LA in June 2009, and I have been listening to everything through that one PRIR ever since.

Originally, that A8 was 8-channel analog input, which I fed from the preamp outputus of an analog-centric Yamaha RX-V863 AVR.  I played back through a vintage 1995-era Stax Omega-1 headphone and Stax SRM-T1S amp.  I used the DAC in the Realiser, feading the SRM-T1S from the RCA headphone outputs of the Realiser.  Although I'd collected several other PRIR's, the AIX PRIR was in fact the only one I ever actually used to listen through.

In 2013 I upgraded my HDTV to a Panasonic 65VT50, and also purchased a second A8 (this one with the HDMI input capability).  I also bought a digital-centric Yamaha RX-V867 AVR and an Oppo BDP-103 that decodes to LPCM output via HDMI.  It also provides two external HDMI inputs, so that you can route external HDMI sources (e.g. cable company DVR for HDTV) through the Oppo.  I also bought an Audio-GD NFB-9 DAC, which I feed from the Toslink optical output of the A8. I also bought a Stax SR-009 and SRM-007tII, which is fed via XLR from the Audio-GD DAC. Again, the same AIX PRIR used on the analog A8 was also used on the HDMI A8 (as it represents the AIX sound room, no matter which A8 or A16 it is used on).

In 2013 my original A8 and related equipment was "re-purposed" to support my HTPC, which allows me to enjoy listening to multi-channel HDTV via headphones while I work at my computer.

The magic of the SR-009 and SRM-007tII is really difficult to convey, unless you've heard it for yourself.  Fed from an A8 with LPCM digital input via HDMI from the Oppo, and feeding the Audio-GD DAC via optical output from the A8 and then XLR to the SRM-007tII, coupled with the PRIR for the AIX sound room, it's genuinely as if I've got my own private high-end listening environment which I could never possibly really afford myself (although I did spend a fair amount on the 2013 upgrade).  The cleanliness and transparency and "virtual surround" of the AIX-like sound I hear is astonishing.

Bottom line: for someone like myself who simply does not have a real multiple loudspeaker-based audio system through which to enjoy movies and HDTV with multi-channel audio, being able to enjoy the same sound experience as if I were playing movies or watching HDTV while in the AIX sound room... well that's priceless to me.  I paid my one-time fee to AIX in 2009 to let me create a PRIR in their sound room which took an hour of their tme, and I took it home with me.  And I've been enjoying that PRIR (i.e. listening to everything I've ever listened to since then as if I were doing it in the AIX sound room) for the past 7 years, through two different Realiser A8's and two different Stax headphone setups.  I think I have gotten my one-time small fee's money's worth for that PRIR, which has given me countless thousands of listening enjoyment hours... and I don't own any loudspeakers.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #254 of 16,022
Edward Sean:  I'm considering an A16 purchase as well.  My phones are Senn HD800's (Sd modded) and Audeze LCD X's) and personally I would not want to drive either one of them with the 300mW headphone amps in the A16.

Fortunately as a understand it, the A16 outputs spdif optical and/or cable.  I plan to keep on using my IFI IDSD micro which can output 4000 mW in turbo mode.  I sure your superb DAC/Amp would be the obvious choice over the A16's  Dac/amp module.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #255 of 16,022
The Realiser A16 does not use a Sabre DAC, it uses a AK4414EQ DAC.

Hmm! Interesting!
Is this AK DAC chip used in other DAC units on the market? The EQ part makes me think it's a little specialized for the A16's type of application. I'm going to try the almighty Google search, but if you can share any nuggets of info about this DAC (comparable quality DACs, timbral flavor, "digital glare" and lack thereof, fine detail resolution resulting in the ability to convey spacial depth, etc) that would go a long way to holding me (and hopefully others) over while waiting for the release.

I will be going with the 2U version. While the headstand idea is cool, just not my cup of tea and I also would not have the vertical room for it in my setup.

I agree that, aesthetically, the silver will make the headstand visually "stand" out (figured it was better to just go for it). A typical home theater is supposed to "disappear" to the audience as they get immersed in the media. On one hand, that could be distracting and un-uniform with a typical home-theater setup, but on the other hand it will be the centerpiece of most setups (besides perhaps an uber-expensive TV. I'll be using a computer monitor for a great % of the time) and acknowledging the piece that makes your setup unique from almost everyone else's can give "gear price" and be a conversation starter. Let's be honest; sometimes it's fun to show off. I also like having a "home" to put away my headphones when not in use to try to keep things tidy.

I'll have to measure my space to see if the headstand will fit in a couple nooks I have in my entertainment center, but assuming there is space the only real determination is personal taste and style.

Maybe if I had an awesome headphone stand besides just my X7 and a banana hook, I'd be looking at the flat Realizer, but I don't, and the headstand version just catches my fancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back