Smyth Research Realiser A16
Jan 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #1,696 of 15,986
I have a bit of an off-topic question : when i get my A16, can I use the in-ear microphones to experiment and make binaural recordings ?
Sure you can try, why not? Use your own head (wearing the in-ear microphones of course) for recording a live event, playback with HPEQ only (no PRIR or BRIR). Should be perfect (for yourself). Unless the microphones have limited fidelity (only picking up the test A16 signals is a less demanding job than doing a full range dynamic recording I guess, so it could be they are less suited for the latter). But as I said, just try.
But you would have to sit/stand perfectly still during recording or otherwise you might get a bit seasick during playback! Or remember exactly how you moved ( :L3000: ) during the recording and do the same ( :L3000: ) during playback:beyersmile:.

Now maybe someone can figure something out to have headtracking as well. The trick of playing back through a crosstalk free PRIR that is sometimes used with generic binaural recordings, not made with your own head, is less suitable now. It would be a pitty to "add" an additional HRTF because this recording already has perfect HRTF for you applied to it, by your own head and ears. I am thinking of "constructing" a cross-talk free PRIR that does not apply the full HRTF for each lookanagle, but only the difference between your HRTF from straight in front and your HRTF for the other lookangle (and does not contain any reflexions/reverberations). (So looking straight forward it would do nothing, and looking 30 degrees left for example it would only apply the change in the HRTF.) I am just brainstorming here, I will think about it more.

Jan 3, 2018 at 10:50 AM Post #1,697 of 15,986
I mean more experiment to record my environment at home, or in the street, not recording something playing on the A16. Just to see if while playing back on headphones with closed eyes i can still clearly locate the source of the sounds.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,698 of 15,986
not recording something playing on the A16
I also did not mean recording something playing on the A16. I gave as an example a live event, but any sounds on the street or in your home is also good. I meant you just record from the microphones in your ear, any sounds in real life that you want. And for experimenting the remark about sitting still is not really relevant of course.
But when you later listen to the recoding you made, using the Realiser with the HPEQ of the headphones you use would give the best result. If you would listen without that the sound signature of the headphones (or more precise: the headphone-ear interaction) would cause a difference between what you hear playing back your binaural recording and what you heared originally. In fact also the signature of the microphones (if they have any) would be taken out by using the HPEQ.
[Edit: but playing back those recordings straight without the A16 would still sound very lifelike I expect.]

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #1,699 of 15,986
I have a bit of an off-topic question : when i get my A16, can I use the in-ear microphones to experiment and make binaural recordings ?

Yes.

If your recorder has plug-in power and you want to record unamplified events, you will be fine. If you want to record loud music, then you will need a battery module with higher voltage and attenuation.

See taperssection.com for more details.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #1,700 of 15,986
I also did not mean recording something playing on the A16. I gave as an example a live event, but any sounds on the street or in your home is also good. I meant you just record from the microphones in your ear, any sounds in real life that you want. And for experimenting the remark about sitting still is not really relevant of course.
But when you later listen to the recoding you made, using the Realiser with the HPEQ of the headphones you use would give the best result. If you would listen without that the sound signature of the headphones (or more precise: the headphone-ear interaction) would cause a difference between what you hear playing back your binaural recording and what you heared originally. In fact also the signature of the microphones (if they have any) would be taken out by using the HPEQ.
[Edit: but playing back those recordings straight without the A16 would still sound very lifelike I expect.]

In that case, a crossfeed free PRIR is mandatory.

Or the dual user crossfeed reduction approach, but then not using the head tracker will make recordings less lifelike depending how intolerant you are to head movements.

Edited: sorry, @sander99, I didn’t read post #1696. That is more or less what I was trying to say...

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,701 of 15,986
Technically I can't imagine why not. You would likely have to feed them into a sound card or some thing to get it them to record. Practically though I have no idea how accurate they really are especially with the foam. Some one that has had their PIR done may be able to talk to that.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,702 of 15,986
Technically I can't imagine why not. You would likely have to feed them into a sound card or some thing to get it them to record. Practically though I have no idea how accurate they really are especially with the foam. Some one that has had their PIR done may be able to talk to that.

This is really off topic, but the smaller the diaphragm, the higher the inherent noise of a microphone. The signal to noise ratio is also dependent of the microphone sensitivity.

Those are electret condenser microphones, possible from Knowles. Portable recorders supply approximately 4V plug in power to feed them directly. They probably also work with maximum 9v to 12V from an stand alone battery pack. You can use attenuation from the recorder or an external device when recording high SPL. You can’t use 48V phantom power to handle higher SPL.

So don’t expect the same performance one would have with a professional binaural head, such as Chesky Records use.

Professor Choueiri, who designed a PRIR measurement for his Bacch filter, used to sell his flagship unit with a DPA high qualifty miniature microphone and 48V phantom power. It probably allows better binaural recordings. But the microphones itself directly from DPA (4060) are in the 1000 USD range. He commissioned a microphone according to his specifications that was supposed to be more affordable. You can find those in Theoretica site.

Smyth Research match them and they probably have flat frequency response from 20 hz to 20khz and since the Realiser allow multiple sweeps the microphone relatively higher self noise and lower sensitivity are not a big deal when measuring a PRIR, thus a good fidelity is achieved. The foam is used to hold them in your ear canal and do not block the diaphragm.

But noise/hiss from the recorder preamp or the microphone may not be masked when recording lower SPL.

I am eager to compare them to my binaural microphone, which is so so.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #1,704 of 15,986
I are right, Richter. Perhaps my frustration is more related to keeping my head still while recording and the lack of head tracking in playback than the overall quality Soundman microphones (FR, SN and SNR).
I am curious to know how much the placement in the ear canal alters the result.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,707 of 15,986
Hi, a new status update? Where? Checked the website and the Kickstarter site.

Not really a new update; their latest was Dec 14th: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/2044207

We’ll probably see another update the same time this month, because they quoted 3-4 weeks till they got some plastic samples. However, the next update could be delayed due to CES.

Don’t mind me, I’m just being frustrated about the delays. I COULD try blaming the people that whined about it not having HDMI 2 before the boards existed for delaying the original release estimate from the Kickstarter, but those boards were released in like September and doesn’t fully account for all the other delays on every other component. I said May/June, because at this point I really could see Smyth releasing a full year late on what they outlined when I gave them money on Kickstarter... at this point, hearing their fully functional prototype at audio meets is just tantalizing and a little painful.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,708 of 15,986
Not really a new update; their latest was Dec 14th: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...al-3d-audio-headphone-processor/posts/2044207

We’ll probably see another update the same time this month, because they quoted 3-4 weeks till they got some plastic samples. However, the next update could be delayed due to CES.

Don’t mind me, I’m just being frustrated about the delays. I COULD try blaming the people that whined about it not having HDMI 2 before the boards existed for delaying the original release estimate from the Kickstarter, but those boards were released in like September and doesn’t fully account for all the other delays on every other component. I said May/June, because at this point I really could see Smyth releasing a full year late on what they outlined when I gave them money on Kickstarter... at this point, hearing their fully functional prototype at audio meets is just tantalizing and a little painful.

Ask me! I heard in Paris in October 2016: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/smyth-research-realiser-a16.807459/page-23#post-12920497

You were the one back one saying: "Yeah, it kinda reminds me of the Rocketeer's helmet!" :)))

It realy kills me to wait so long.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #1,709 of 15,986
I think another wait for maximum 6 months from now is very acceptable if they will definitely start shipping then. Meanwhile let them make it as best as possible. In the summer 2017 London when i heard it for the very first time i was Very impressed, and i haven't been impressed like since i heard the Tera Player for the first time.
For those who have doubts about the A16, i am telling you that is Amazing like anything heard before and the reviews say it all:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back