Sleeping Headphones?
Oct 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FasterX

Head-Fier
I was thinking about wearing headphones to bed, listening to soft songs/rain sound effects. I was thinking AD700s for their open-back design. Maybe something below $100.

Thanks

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 18
Definitely wear a "portable" can to bed. I've been wearing Grados to bed every night for 4 years and I couldn't imagine wearing something big since I'm actually a side sleeper haha... I just plop one of the swivel drivers on my head then doze off... 

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 18

Quote:
I was thinking about wearing headphones to bed, listening to soft songs/rain sound effects.

I  think these headphones match perfectly your description:

http://www.sleepphones.com/SleepPhones_Explained

Only 40$.
Now I  didn't try them , but I  imagine they are quite comfy for sleeping
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 18
Now when I hit the sack I use with great comfort and sound IMO are the "Audio Technica AD-700". They aren't in the same leauge as my HD-650's or my even better HD-800's but I not wearing those to bed..... The "wings" and headband are nice and the cable going in on only one side is also a nice "no tangled feature", best part I picked mine up new for $83.50.....
wink.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 18
Im afraid to sleep with my headphones on. Take a look at this
eek.gif

Oct 9, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 18
I sleep with the meelec M6 (iem).  It's pretty low profile, flat on your ear for side-sleeping, and they're pretty intensely durable.  Sound quality is only ok, but I really just use them for tv type stuff. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 18
I fall asleep regularly wearing headphones - I mean going to sleep for the night - and
have a few observations that others might find useful.

1. Headphones worn in bed risk ending up on the floor, being rolled over upon, 
and sundry other unpleasantries.  They need to be reasonably sturdy.

2. I prefer closed headphones in this situation - might as well keep out any outside noise
when falling asleep.

3.. Avoiding phones that have large earcups.
If they do, they'll rub against the pillow and be microphonic.
(For this reason, I wouldn't consider wearing the AT 700's.)

4. Clearly, headphones worn while lying down must stay in place - and I've found few that reliably do so.

Having tried many, many headphones, I know that few can be worn while one is horizontal.

Grado's are very good in this regard.
But they're sort of delicate.  And open, of course.

AT ATH-M50's slide right off.
so do Shure 840's.
Beyer DT880
Ultrasone 780
Denon 2000
and several others.

Wthout listing all of the headphones I've tried this with, I'll mention the two that work best for me:

Senn HD25 I II - they stay in place, sound great, and the earpieces are small enough to avoid touching
the pillow (or whatever you've got you're head resting on...)

The other pair - Sony MDR 7606 / MDR V6.
They stay in place, earpieces are small enough front to back, and sound is
pretty decent especially when the intention is to be asleep in a little while.

And with the Sony's, if there is any untoward event, well - they're pretty inexpensive.

Oct 9, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 18
Wearing headphones in bed is impossible for me. Even Denon D1001, which is about the smallest circumaural model can get, was pushing and making contact against my pillow.

IEM all the way for this purpose. I personally use Triplefi 10.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 18
why headphones over iems or speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back