Singxer SU-1 Owners
Oct 19, 2019 at 9:43 PM Post #737 of 869
Folks I've done a -very- silly thing. Moving back from Japan to Perth, I didn't check the Singxer SU-1 properly and plugged a 110V device into a 240V source. Whilst it has a fuse, it's a 250V fuse. Does anyone who's familiar the SU-1 PSU circuitry if there's any protection that'll cut off to protect itself or have I blown the PSU? No I did not open it up to flip the switch before powering it on - I didn't want to break the warranty seal and the back of the socket did say 110V/230V (and the fuse was 250V).

The fuse did blow however being rated 250V, however I think that is just for a protection overload for the -max- the SU-1 can handle aside (irrespective of the 110/230V switch). So my only hope now is that the PSU has some other kind of protection mechanism. Anyone familiar with it?

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #738 of 869
@AnakChan, what were you thinking?! :wink:. Hope you're well back home besides that little hiccup!

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #739 of 869
@AnakChan, what were you thinking?! :wink:. Hope you're well back home besides that little hiccup!
Never do this at 1 a.m. prioritising checking the firmware over voltage :D

Oct 19, 2019 at 10:38 PM Post #740 of 869
Folks I've done a -very- silly thing. Moving back from Japan to Perth, I didn't check the Singxer SU-1 properly and plugged a 110V device into a 240V source.
If you have a whole bunch of 110V gear, it might be worth getting a proper step down transformer instead of replacing the devices. If so, you could just test the SU-1 with that transformer.

Hope it still works!

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #741 of 869
Back fro, the electronic store. Bought a fuse and replaced it but sadly the SU-1 is still dead. I guess the PSU or Talema transformer must have blown. Now to decide to talk to ShenzenAudio on parts, or look at one of those PSU upgrades (all this in assumption that it's only the PSU that's blown!).

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #742 of 869
Back fro, the electronic store. Bought a fuse and replaced it but sadly the SU-1 is still dead. I guess the PSU or Talema transformer must have blown. Now to decide to talk to ShenzenAudio on parts, or look at one of those PSU upgrades (all this in assumption that it's only the PSU that's blown!).

or bite the bullet and go with the su-6 (evil grin), https://www.head-fi.org/threads/singxer-su-6.902272/

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #744 of 869
@AnakChan - the Singxer should have a mains voltage selector inside it (see below) -

TB2bQWrgsjI8KJjSsppXXXbyVXa_!!42027374.jpg

As the supply uses a linear regulator, I would think (hope) it would be OK as long as it was not on for too long. The regulator would have to deal with a higher input voltage and so it would run hotter. The other risk would be the first capacitors too, as they may not be rated for double the voltage. I would open yours up, change the voltage, put in a new fuse and then connect it back up to the mains (but nothing else).

If you're in Perth Western Australia (and not Scotland), we're in the same town, so I can give you a hand if needed (send me a PM).

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:24 AM Post #745 of 869
@AnakChan - the Singxer should have a mains voltage selector inside it (see below) -

TB2bQWrgsjI8KJjSsppXXXbyVXa_!!42027374.jpg

As the supply uses a linear regulator, I would think (hope) it would be OK as long as it was not on for too long. The regulator would have to deal with a higher input voltage and so it would run hotter. The other risk would be the first capacitors too, as they may not be rated for double the voltage. I would open yours up, change the voltage, put in a new fuse and then connect it back up to the mains (but nothing else).

If you're in Perth Western Australia (and not Scotland), we're in the same town, so I can give you a hand if needed (send me a PM).
We are in the same town :D. Yes I found that switch only after I blew up the internals. I've replaced the fuse with a new one from Altronics and it still doesn't power on so either the Talema, caps or more may have blown.

I didn't want to open it up prior 'cos I didn't want to break the warranty seal (and the external said 110V/230V, and the fuse was 250V) - so tried my luck.

P.S. Since we're in teh same town, we should catch up :D. I used to organise Head-Fi meets in Perth whenever I came back into town. Now that I've moved back, would love to organise another Perth Head-Fi meet!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:41 AM Post #746 of 869
We are in the same town :D. Yes I found that switch only after I blew up the internals. I've replaced the fuse with a new one from Altronics and it still doesn't power on so either the Talema, caps or more may have blown.

I didn't want to open it up prior 'cos I didn't want to break the warranty seal (and the external said 110V/230V, and the fuse was 250V) - so tried my luck.

P.S. Since we're in teh same town, we should catch up :D. I used to organise Head-Fi meets in Perth whenever I came back into town. Now that I've moved back, would love to organise another Perth Head-Fi meet!
PS another thing you could do is buy a Ghent audio or Kitsune hifi singxer SU1 5V kit. Bypasses the PSU and then you can use any 5V power source directly.

I've the Ghent one and it works like a charm!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #747 of 869
Big thanks to @mivarpet who's really just "down the road" for doing the troubleshoot!! Seems it's just the Talema transformer that's blown. So I'll order a a new one and will try to fix it myself.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #748 of 869
And get working on you T2 while you’re at it :wink:

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #749 of 869
Folks I've done a -very- silly thing. Moving back from Japan to Perth, I didn't check the Singxer SU-1 properly and plugged a 110V device into a 240V source. Whilst it has a fuse, it's a 250V fuse. Does anyone who's familiar the SU-1 PSU circuitry if there's any protection that'll cut off to protect itself or have I blown the PSU? No I did not open it up to flip the switch before powering it on - I didn't want to break the warranty seal and the back of the socket did say 110V/230V (and the fuse was 250V).

The fuse did blow however being rated 250V, however I think that is just for a protection overload for the -max- the SU-1 can handle aside (irrespective of the 110/230V switch). So my only hope now is that the PSU has some other kind of protection mechanism. Anyone familiar with it?
Fuse protects against over current (short circuit) not over voltage.

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:58 PM Post #750 of 869
Again thx to @mivarpet in helping diagnose the issue, picked up the new Talema yesterday and soldered it in this morning. All working fine again!

The older Talema bloated (on the right)
IMG_0652.jpeg
IMG_0653.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back