Shure SRH1840 and SRH1440 Unveiled!
Dec 6, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #76 of 2,282

Quote:
Wow they're much more expensive than I imagined. Guess I'm sticking with my HD600.

What?  Where's your sense of audio and fiscal adventure?
wink_face.gif

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #77 of 2,282

Quote:
What?  Where's your sense of audio and fiscal adventure?
wink_face.gif

Could be a change of pricing strategy for Shure but if they remain on their current 'performance for
dollar spent' path then when you consider what they deliver with the 840 and 940.

These should be very special cans indeed ~ dare I say it speculatively speaking ~ 'Giant Killers'.

Could be 2012's LCD-2. Maybe...

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #79 of 2,282
I'm also looking forward to reading Jude's impressions.

> I've had a Shure SRH1840 prototype here this past spring, and received a production version of it last week. It is a very impressive headphone, and I'll say more about it later. (It's the middle of the night here right now.)

From his post I'd assume he's listened to it recently but probably hasn't gotten around to writing up a description of it quite yet.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #80 of 2,282

Quote:
Buy the HD6x0. FOTM, fads, varied opinions etc, basically when the price drop hits these, they'll be affordable and we'll have a good read on whether or not it's actually a headphone worth owning. If the price doesn't go down, I suppose it's not a terrible thing because the only way it'll stay where it's at is if it has a reputation for being worth that price. Get the HD6x0, it's a must own phone anyway.

the SRH940 didn't ring as true to us as the SRH840 so we can't just take shure by faith, although the SRH840 broke a lot of rules when it first came out (great sound under 200$, good sound stage in a closed can, etc). The SRH840 had a few critical flaws in my opinion. The pads are not thick enough, the headband not rigid or tight enough, and the headphones too heavy to be truly a comfortable phone. In general while wearing them the sensation is like balancing spinning plates on my nose. One bad movement and they're not seated anymore. Basically, they're the most clumsy headphone I own. Actually considering selling them for this reason, but (and this is important) I don't know that I can because of all the headphones I own they're the only ones to show wear and tear. The headband is actually falling apart on me.

So far, Shure has proven to have a bad track record for fit and finish. In my mind the HD6x0's have none of these faults the SRH840 have, and the only real con to them is their signature, if you dislike it, you bought the wrong phone. It's one of those benchmark cans everyone should own though, and it's something this sort of can would likely get gauged against.

No doubt in my mind these phones will be good. Just need to wait to see how good. I do like their look though. A lot.

Things it's doing right:
  1. Open
  2. Velour
  3. Metal construction
  4. dual entry removable cable
  5. clean dark look

This post was comforting. I just bought a pair of HD600s during an amazon lightning deal for $260. Between this thread and the HD700 thread (two of the hottest threads today it seems), I was starting to think I should have waited a few more months before making a purchase. This may end up being the case depending on how these 3 cans pan out, but the more I read about them, the more psyched I am to finally hear the classic HD600. The only other Sennheiser can I've ever had was the HD 280 pro, and they were an awesome value. I'm hoping the HD600 turns out to be the same case.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #81 of 2,282
These new mid-tiers from Shure and Sennheiser shouldn't deter anyone from purchasing a current model. The old favourites are known quantities and are likely to be 2 or 3 times cheaper than the latest and greatest.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #82 of 2,282
Well you're certainly not going to regret an HD600 IMO. I've been enjoying my HD650s more and more lately, they're just wonderful sounding headphones. I think ultimately the biggest issue with my SRH940 is comfort and just a tad too bright for me. I like relaxing and listening to music some times, and the SRH940 is just a bit too harsh sometimes. The HD650 has almost as much detail as the SRH940 when equalized, and much better lower end response.

It will be interesting to see how the 1840s sound. The 940's ultimate flaw for my casual listening is the just slightly too bright upper end and less satisfying bass than my HD650. If they resolve these, combined with the comfortable looking design, AND improved sound quality... these might just hit that seemingly unattainable perfect sound so many people are looking for.

Me... well, I'm not an EQ snob so I just EQ my HD650s to have the perfect sound ;P

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #83 of 2,282

Quote:
This post was comforting. I just bought a pair of HD600s during an amazon lightning deal for $260. Between this thread and the HD700 thread (two of the hottest threads today it seems), I was starting to think I should have waited a few more months before making a purchase. This may end up being the case depending on how these 3 cans pan out, but the more I read about them, the more psyched I am to finally hear the classic HD600. The only other Sennheiser can I've ever had was the HD 280 pro, and they were an awesome value. I'm hoping the HD600 turns out to be the same case.

As I said in my post, the HD6x0 represents the best compromising audiophile can in the world. It's sound stage, sound quality, and price range make it perfectly positioned to pretty much end up in every audiophile's collection, and due to it's wide appeal, it's got an appearance in what I'd guess is 9/10 reviews on this site.

In short, it pays to own this headphone, even if it's just to have as a reference to other cans or amplifiers in the review.

Beyond just a tool for reference though: it's a brilliant sounding can, which is it's reason for being the reference can.

That said, I'm sure this shure can will be awesome as well, but I am skeptical also since the SRH940 was said to not be a direct upgrade over the SRH840. Anxiously awaiting more information!

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #87 of 2,282

Quote:
I can see a woodie housing mod emerging from Headphile for these puppies and that would be interesting.
darthsmile.gif

Haha they aren't even released yet and already people are thinking about modifying them.

That's kind of like going to a restaurant and ordering a steak, then calling the waiter over to complain your meal isn't cooked properly before it arrives.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #89 of 2,282
The headphones were unveiled quite quickly after rumors appeared of a new Shure open headphone
Now I guess there is two of them!

If they can keep this below 350, they have an advantage advantage against other mid-range headphones
(HD6xxs Anyone? or Beyerdynamics DTs?)

The headband is very similar to the Beyerdynamic's
but the grill is more of a Sennheiser influence.

Can't wait!

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #90 of 2,282
Nobody has made any complaint, only an observation on a possibility was made.
darthsmile.gif
 They are already released over here.

Quote:
Haha they aren't even released yet and already people are thinking about modifying them.

That's kind of like going to a restaurant and ordering a steak, then calling the waiter over to complain your meal isn't cooked properly before it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back