Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 4, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #2,447 of 3,855
Yeah it's a slight misconception I think... There are headphones with serious coloration in bass and you're not feeling any thump, just loose low-frequency noise. 

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #2,448 of 3,855

Quote:
The punch generally comes from the mids in my experience >_>

If it exists, it generally comes from the music. If by "punch", they mean "emphasis" then that's a built in coloration that exaggerates something. Normally I get more punch by increasing the volume.

It a very common trend these days, whereby people expect the government to look after them and for headphones to give them "more" bass. Or a preference for foods loaded in sodium and trans-fats and headphones with too much bass response. If the SRH940 is a "light" or "low-fat" headphone, it's probably healthier.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2,450 of 3,855

Quote:
If it exists, it generally comes from the music. If by "punch", they mean "emphasis" then that's a built in coloration that exaggerates something. Normally I get more punch by increasing the volume.

It a very common trend these days, whereby people expect the government to look after them and for headphones to give them "more" bass. Or a preference for foods loaded in sodium and trans-fats and headphones with too much bass response. If the SRH940 is a "light" or "low-fat" headphone, it's probably healthier.

I think of "punch" and "impact" as the ability of the driver to move air significantly to where you can feel the bass without losing any other frequencies. In other words the diaphragm needs to be able to move significantly from equilibrium and *hold* that position while also vibrating to smaller details (higher frequencies) despite being farther from equilibrium. This is very difficult because the diaphragm naturally wants to return to the resting position like a spring. 

From what I see in head-fi in general, this feature seems to be one of the more admired attributes of headphones, which is why people love ones like HD650s so much. Keep in mind that being able to produce a lot of bass "slam" at high volumes does NOT indicate a good headphone, but rather being able to maintain those deep organic tones seems hard to achieve in cheaper headphones and is necessary for a good sound from bass to mids.

The SRH940 IMO unfortunately lacks that ability somewhat, and it's it's only real flaw IMO. This doesn't mean it's a bad headphone, because it more than makes up for it in its upper frequency response, but still the bass limitation is still there.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #2,452 of 3,855
I  don't know , for me senn IE7 + bbe Mach3Bass from cowon = mind blowing slam.
Maybe one day, I'll get a headphone that doesn't rely on BBE (or the new  digizoid thing)   to get a heavy slam,  but for now that's fine.
I'm wondering if I  wouldn't get a similar result with a multiband compressor though (loudness compressor,
limited to some frequency range) though. But enough  experiments with the dsp...

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2,455 of 3,855
Quote:
I agree with Beagle, lots of bass is bad for your health.
Bass is like eating hamburgers, treble is more like white wine.

Not to be a spoil sport, but in reality treble is the more damaging to one's hearing. Bass generally doesn't damage hearing quite so much unless of course it's massively loud, which is extremely hard to accomplish (probably impossible) with headphones anyway.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0501/p2749.html

> Noise-induced hearing loss is a sensorineural hearing deficit that begins at the higher frequencies (3,000 to 6,000 Hz) and develops gradually as a result of chronic exposure to excessive sound levels

Then again, you could say we might as well accept our fate and emphasize the treble to compensate :p

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:25 PM Post #2,456 of 3,855
Sonic and ultrasonic weapons (USW) are weapons of various types that use sound to injure, incapacitate, or kill an opponent. [...]
Although many real sonic and ultrasonic weapons are described as "non-lethal", they can still kill under certain conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weaponry

So what is the best to kill  somebody ? Lot of bass or treble ? I'd say the  bass
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #2,457 of 3,855
Quote:

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0501/p2749.html

> Noise-induced hearing loss is a sensorineural hearing deficit that begins at the higher frequencies (3,000 to 6,000 Hz) and develops gradually as a result of chronic exposure to excessive sound levels

That sucks, I always thought it was the bass, since when listening to something like the FXC51's or going to a loud bassy nightclub your ears ring afterwards.

Lately I feel like my left ear feels a bit less sensitive, probably just imagining it, better turn down the volume, silly treble happy Sony IEM's.

Dec 4, 2011 at 2:55 PM Post #2,458 of 3,855

Quote:
Sonic and ultrasonic weapons (USW) are weapons of various types that use sound to injure, incapacitate, or kill an opponent. [...]
Although many real sonic and ultrasonic weapons are described as "non-lethal", they can still kill under certain conditions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weaponry

So what is the best to kill  somebody ? Lot of bass or treble ? I'd say the  bass
biggrin.gif

I'm confused, are you joking? Ultrasonic = ultra-treble :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back