Shure SRH 940 impression and support thread
Dec 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #2,461 of 3,855

Quote:
THEY ARE AMAZING but the SRH-1040's will be announced tomorrow and will sound better, I can see into the future.

ahhhhh. definatley a compliment for my 440's XO im in new england and nowhere!! i mean nowhere let'syou test real headphones. best buy just lets you test.......those horrific red and white monsters (beats)

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #2,462 of 3,855
ahhhhh. definatley a compliment for my 440's XO im in new england and nowhere!! i mean nowhere let'syou test real headphones. best buy just lets you test.......those horrific red and white monsters (beats)

No music stores like guitar center or Sam Ash around you? If they aren't on display but they have them behind the counter just ask if you could audition them and they usually let you. First time i heard and fell in love with the 940 was in a Sam Ash.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2,463 of 3,855

Quote:
No music stores like guitar center or Sam Ash around you? If they aren't on display but they have them behind the counter just ask if you could audition them and they usually let you. First time i heard and fell in love with the 940 was in a Sam Ash.

Really!?? I hve a guitar center near my house.!!! Im going there ASAP

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,469 of 3,855

Quote:
I'm confused, are you joking? Ultrasonic = ultra-treble :p

And infrasounds ultra-bass.

From wiki:
The possibility of a device that produces frequency that causes vibration of the eyeballs — and therefore distortion of vision — was apparently confirmed by the work of engineer Vic Tandy[...]  Some detective work implicated a newly installed extractor fan that, Tandy found, was generating infrasound of 18.9 Hz, 0.3 Hz, and 9 Hz

Anyways both are harming ultrasound & infrasound. On the film irreversible, they used infrasounds to induce a nauseating feeling & fear on spectators. Very disturbing film, even if you are used to watch regularly violence on TV.

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #2,471 of 3,855

Quote:
No i wasn't looking like one, only had some cheapo IEM's on me, im just saying you will be able to get a better feel for them if you have an amp.

OK thanks. i was about to say. Not looking the part wouldn't let me demo them! Ha. That would be hilarious. 
"Umm im sorry sir. but those Generic Fostex Apple Earbuds just aren't gonna cut letting you use.... Le Shure"

Dec 4, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2,472 of 3,855

Quote:
Not to be a spoil sport, but in reality treble is the more damaging to one's hearing. Bass generally doesn't damage hearing quite so much unless of course it's massively loud, which is extremely hard to accomplish (probably impossible) with headphones anyway.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/2000/0501/p2749.html

> Noise-induced hearing loss is a sensorineural hearing deficit that begins at the higher frequencies (3,000 to 6,000 Hz) and develops gradually as a result of chronic exposure to excessive sound levels

Then again, you could say we might as well accept our fate and emphasize the treble to compensate :p

Hmm...

With a basic understanding of how the basalar membrane works, I'm not so sure treble is more damaging than bass.

It is true that the tapered end of the basalar membrane which is used to pick up the higher frequencies degrades faster with age (thus resulting in less hearing of upper ranged frequencies when older)...

but larger bass waves are less affected when traveling through a medium (i.e. your internal ear) and actually vibrate the basalar membrane much more violently than treble frequencies.  I'm sure the hair receptors at this end are better designed to take on that larger wave, but how much so is the question?  I also wouldn't be surprised if the density of receptors is lower on the end that is utilized for lower frequencies, since the waves are larger.  This means losing one receptor could have a larger effect, potentially.

My point is that I am not so convinced that treble is more damaging than bass.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2,473 of 3,855

Last time I was at a place with loud window-shaking (literally) bass, that has vibrations that you can feel in your clothing, well I think that is more (physically) potentially damaging than the high frequencies.

A shrieking sound or high-pitched sibilance makes you turn the volume down straight away and doesn't sound nice, but some people like heavy muddy bass in IEM's and headphones (I don't), and when listening to the JVC FXC51's (without EQ) at the same volume I'd listen to an IEM like the EX600, I thought after only 15 minutes or so the FXC51 would have me fatigued, whereas a bass-light IEM or headphone I can listen to for much longer with no issue.

I have a funny sensation in my left ear sometimes like it's less sensitive to low frequencies but I tested my hearing (basic stuff, online) and I can still hear from 17Hz to 19kHz so I guess nothing is wrong, maybe it's just that "air block" thing you have when you have a cold? It's annoying.

Dec 4, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #2,474 of 3,855
Last time I was at a place with loud window-shaking (literally) bass, that has vibrations that you can feel in your clothing, well I think that is more (physically) potentially damaging than the high frequencies.

A shrieking sound or high-pitched sibilance makes you turn the volume down straight away and doesn't sound nice, but some people like heavy muddy bass in IEM's and headphones (I don't), and when listening to the JVC FXC51's (without EQ) at the same volume I'd listen to an IEM like the EX600, I thought after only 15 minutes or so the FXC51 would have me fatigued, whereas a bass-light IEM or headphone I can listen to for much longer with no issue.

I have a funny sensation in my left ear sometimes like it's less sensitive to low frequencies but I tested my hearing (basic stuff, online) and I can still hear from 17Hz to 19kHz so I guess nothing is wrong, maybe it's just that "air block" thing you have when you have a cold? It's annoying.

I wouldn't count on an online test, there are a lot of things that could add distortion that you might be hearing but you aren't actually hearing that frequency. A visit to an audiologist would be optimal but using a sine generator on your computer through a decent dac should give you more accurate results than an online test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back