Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #10,877 of 22,945
  thanks what about the tsx100 its more expensive are they better than the ts100

i bought the tsx100 lets see how they will sound

Apr 27, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #10,878 of 22,945
  the bass slam is amazing but man sometimes i just can not handle the mids and highs, i do not know what else to do besides using the black filters, and i do not want to sleeves now as i feel maybe that will add to the problem of the highs and mids as the sound will shoot more into my ear canal

and i find using different tips makes a huge difference and i have the westone ones various sizes but still i can not find the best tip to suit me, maybe there are better tips than the weston ones

also the shure is my only iem i own so i do not know if the mids and highs are all like the shure and that is the best i can get

i like warm full bass sound

Either you have ears that are very bothered by mids and trebles or your source files are a bit hot.  What music are you playing that causes this mid/treble issue?  What bitrate?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #10,879 of 22,945
  the bass slam is amazing but man sometimes i just can not handle the mids and highs, i do not know what else to do besides using the black filters, and i do not want to sleeves now as i feel maybe that will add to the problem of the highs and mids as the sound will shoot more into my ear canal

and i find using different tips makes a huge difference and i have the westone ones various sizes but still i can not find the best tip to suit me, maybe there are better tips than the weston ones

also the shure is my only iem i own so i do not know if the mids and highs are all like the shure and that is the best i can get

i like warm full bass sound

Perhaps you're just really sensitive to mids/highs in general? Also, check the quality of your source files. If they're LQ MP3 rips, expect sibilance and headaches. The last thing I'd call the SE846s are "overly bright". Hm. Interesting...

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #10,881 of 22,945
Thanks RELIC, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed to be honest haha.

When i was in your position i first tried the iBasso DX50 which is a lower mid range pmp. It was pretty good but looking back now i feel it was a bit too conservative for an fairly expensive iem like the se846. If i could do it again i would have stepped up to the dx90 or fiio x5. Right now i have my eyes on the new AK Junior which is looking like a fairly cheap but good portable player.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #10,882 of 22,945
I have been listening to the SE846s quite a bit the last couple of days. Got a chance to try the filters and find that the Black (Dark) inserts work best for me. They seem to have the most balanced sound on my setup, the bass & mid-range slightly toned down, with not much effect on the high-end. Clarity and resolution of the instruments also seemed to improve. Really like the tuning feature of these IEMs.

Anyone else like the dark filters?

Apr 28, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #10,883 of 22,945

Either you have ears that are very bothered by mids and trebles or your source files are a bit hot.  What music are you playing that causes this mid/treble issue?  What bitrate?

i play mostly flac files with 44.1/16 bits and sometimes 192/24

for me my struggle is the type of music i listen to edm and synthpop, and as u know most such bands have trash recording quality, so maybe i made a mistake in buying the shure as maybe its not a fogiving iem, so maybe i should look into something that is more warm and more forgiving, I am using my iphone 6 plus,and sometimes iphone 6 plus and ifi micro dsd

i do not blame shure 846 solely for the mids and trebele as i know mostly its the mastering of the music, and since synth and edm bands maybe do not have the capabilties to make out great recording qualities, but i just love synth and edm so i need an iem suits such types of music with their faulty recording qualities

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #10,884 of 22,945

for me my struggle is the type of music i listen to edm and synthpop, and as u know most such bands have trash recording quality, so maybe i made a mistake in buying the shure as maybe its not a fogiving iem, so maybe i should look into something that is more warm and more forgiving, I am using my iphone 6 plus,and sometimes iphone 6 plus and ifi micro dsd

i do not blame shure 846 solely for the mids and trebele as i know mostly its the mastering of the music, and since synth and edm bands maybe do not have the capabilties to make out great recording qualities, but i just love synth and edm so i need an iem suits such types of music with their faulty recording qualities

Try the Sony XBA-Z5.  People in its thread here on head-fi have expressed appreciation for it listening to EDM.  Me, I prefer ECM.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #10,885 of 22,945
Totaly agree baby steps. For others who have alo cables after sampling a few cables a serious step up in quality and sonic improvement is dhc. Expensive and patience is well rewarded

True, from the perspective of knowing which upgrades are doing what to contribute to the better sound....   worse from the cost perspective as baby steps add up to a higher $$ total than doing it right the first time.

That's why it is important to try before you buy and buy from sources that allow returns un reasonable circumstances.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #10,886 of 22,945
The 846s will let you hear the best and the worst of the recordings.  And without trying to start a battle your iPhone may also have something to do with harsh mids and trebles, as the 846 is smooth and doesn't have a whole lot of treble to get harsh in the first place.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #10,887 of 22,945
Totaly agree baby steps. For others who have alo cables after sampling a few cables a serious step up in quality and sonic improvement is dhc. Expensive and patience is well rewarded

True, from the perspective of knowing which upgrades are doing what to contribute to the better sound....   worse from the cost perspective as baby steps add up to a higher $$ total than doing it right the first time.

That's why it is important to try before you buy and buy from sources that allow returns un reasonable circumstances.

Agree as i did. But in sucsession. Start with the iem first buy the best you can afford, then dac amp then cable. The only drawback to this is there isnt really anywhere to go from here, be happy with your picks

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #10,888 of 22,945

IMHO your Micro iDsd is a quality DAC/AMP so I'd stick with that for now. Your music files are also not the culprit, unless those uncompressed files are not from a good source. The only advise we could give is to stick to the black filters and use foam tips instead of silicone. If your SE846s still won't satisfy you, then perhaps you're suited for a different sound signature.

And last resort, Jazz would approve, EQ your sound (iPhone's Onkyo App), feed that into your iDSD using the lightning connector CCK cable.

Best of luck.

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #10,889 of 22,945

IMHO your Micro iDsd is a quality DAC/AMP so I'd stick with that for now. Your music files are also not the culprit, unless those uncompressed files are not from a good source. The only advise we could give is to stick to the black filters and use foam tips instead of silicone. If your SE846s still won't satisfy you, then perhaps you're suited for a different sound signature.

And last resort, Jazz would approve, EQ your sound (iPhone's Onkyo App), feed that into your iDSD using the lightning connector CCK cable.

Best of luck.

i was thing about cardas iem as the sound sig sounds similar maybe to what i like

also maybe i need to properly how to eq, as i think when i play with eq to add more thickness to the low end i mess things up

Apr 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #10,890 of 22,945
I've been at Moon Audio web pages for the last few days, clicking on check out and than cancelling it,

My current setup is
Note 4 (USB Audio Player Pro App)/PC (Hi-Res Audio Player) -> PHA-3 -> Shure SE846.

My question is, do you think will it be worth it upgrading the cable with Silver Dragon IEM headphone cable V1 with Dual 3.5mm balance connections for PHA-3.

Theoretically, I assume with this upgrade, there will be more audio range can be heard due to the cable upgrade, also with the PHA-3 Dual 3.5mm balance connections for individual audio L and R, there will be cleaner audio.

My audio tracks mainly are DSD when possible.

Seek the advice from the fellow SE846 users. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back