Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #10,906 of 22,945
Yes MarcusL. This is what I did. Even there's a problem with a product, I am not there to fight the reps. Simply because they are human too and I need their help.

I started my first email politely then as the shure customer rep responded "politely" that they won't honor their warranty and my only choice is to pay more to solve my problem I started stating their design flaws and asked them to own up to it.

The truth is, it's so easy to respond with a cold polite email to tell us the customer that we are screwed. Politeness does not equate to good aftersale service from the company. At the end of the day, I just want them to solve my problem and as a customer I believe the onus of their design problem should not fall on us.

I have received similar emails from less reputable companies and my experience with shure customer service is nothing like what I've read on this forum so far.... Sigh.

Btw,.. Thanks for all your inputs. Anyone can provide me an email to their customer service manager??

I would have probably reacted the same way responding to the rejection. It's a $1000 iem so I'm expecting them to make simple replacements like these. Good luck, mate. I do hope you can get in touch with the proper key person that can solve this. Keep us posted.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #10,907 of 22,945
Thank you Marcus! I hope so, as I am a manufacturer myself in a totally different industry. I believe the parts don't cost shure much,.. it's really about their conviction as a brand and truely get behind their products. Be it a $50 or a $1000 headphone. actually, especial $1000 headphone.

It really sucks that I have to fight this hard for my rights as a customer:frowning2:

Yes I promise to keep everyone posted. Hopefully in the future, if anyone runs into the same issue, they will be protected and not having to Deal with all these nonsense.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #10,908 of 22,945
I decided to give the whites another try, and they're really growing on me. The bass still has its punch, or enough of one at least, but some of the tiniest little details that have now come out--especially in acoustic vocals-- is something I've never heard before. Just thought I'd share for some reason.

I agreed with you, straight after seeing your post, i swap out to the white ones and listen to Barbra Streisand - Beau Soir Voice. Her voice are more prominent now. Thanks

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #10,909 of 22,945
Thank you Marcus! I hope so, as I am a manufacturer myself in a totally different industry. I believe the parts don't cost shure much,.. it's really about their conviction as a brand and truely get behind their products. Be it a $50 or a $1000 headphone. actually, especial $1000 headphone.

It really sucks that I have to fight this hard for my rights as a customer:frowning2:

Yes I promise to keep everyone posted. Hopefully in the future, if anyone runs into the same issue, they will be protected and not having to Deal with all these nonsense.

Thanks for your post. From now on I watch out the screw parts.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #10,910 of 22,945
I'm still riding mine bareback, and loving it.  Occasionally, on a badly-mastered track, it gets to the edge of shrill if I have it up too loud, but for almost all of what I have it's wonderful (with the Sensaphonics).  Bass is excellent and treble is really "there" now.  Mids are good and strong, and it feels a bit wider in the soundstage now.

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #10,911 of 22,945
  I'm still riding mine bareback, and loving it.  Occasionally, on a badly-mastered track, it gets to the edge of shrill if I have it up too loud, but for almost all of what I have it's wonderful (with the Sensaphonics).  Bass is excellent and treble is really "there" now.  Mids are good and strong, and it feels a bit wider in the soundstage now.

Olddude, I thought I will be done with the Silver Dragon cable upgrade (purchasing sooooooooooon) and no more spending. And I saw your Sensaphonics setup. And start googling it... OMG.

Thanks for the introduction, I'll look into it once I got my SD. It never ends does it.. hahahahaha

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #10,912 of 22,945
Thanks for your post. From now on I watch out the screw parts.

Yes! I think Shure expects us to check them compulsively but forgot to list it on their manuals.
Ok... Maybe I'm not being totally fair, but I did have to go through a few frustrating emails with their standard response from their rep.
In their view, they are not at fault and I "lost" the nozzle... So I am not protected under warranty.

Another advice is to always keep them in the box if you are not wearing them. Even for a split second... Coz in my case, I left it hanging on the side of my neck for about half an hour and the nozzle, filter, and tip were gone.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #10,913 of 22,945
Yes! I think Shure expects us to check them compulsively but forgot to list it on their manuals.
Ok... Maybe I'm not being totally fair, but I did have to go through a few frustrating emails with their standard response from their rep.
In their view, they are not at fault and I "lost" the nozzle...

Another advice is to always keep them in the box if you are not wearing them. Even for a split second... Coz in my case, I left it hanging on the side of my neck for about half an hour and the nozzle, filter, and tip were gone.

Yeah, I'll be extra careful with my SE846. Thanks for the advice.

I used to have TripleFi 10, one fine day, 1 decided it's ok to let it on my desk at home for a while before i put in in a container, and only discovered my baby was sucking on it!!!!! when i get back... *it has since introduce funny problem to the TF10. Now, no more headphone lying around in the house unattended.

Apr 29, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #10,914 of 22,945
Btw, this is what they asked of me for replacement after purchasing the product for 4 months:

Black Filter Part #RPE846NZLNSRT-WRM (pair of 2)
Price: $16.73

Nozzel and Collar Part # RPE846NZL
Price: $28.16

I think members that got free parts for their replacement are very lucky,.. or famous. Haha. Sadly, I'm neither... But I don't deserve getting screwed either.

Apr 29, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #10,915 of 22,945
Those prices seem reasonable enough. Golly.

Apr 29, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #10,916 of 22,945
Yes.that's 5% of what we paid for on the se846. So for those mad scientists that wants to experiment with moddding their filters or doing something crazy with the nozzles they can perhaps get the extra parts for their experiments.

I'm just hoping and waiting for shure to make things right for me... So anyone have contact info to share??

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #10,918 of 22,945
Some posts ago, I have written that my SE846 does not wow me sonically despite them being $999 and changing to all sorts of filters don't work quite well. Was close to modding my blue filters but held myself from doing it.

Yesterday I collected my NocturnaL Silver + Copper cables which I got locally from Treoo.com. Fitted them on and WOW it really opened up the SE846. On the stock blue filter, vocals are clearer, no longer they have that slightly veiled sound. Mid-Bass is toned down and not so boomy. It has become very warm and inviting eventhough playing through with an ipod nano.

Finally I am looking forward to put the 846 on my ears every day, and not a 'meh'

Plus they make the 846 look absolutely kick-ass.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #10,919 of 22,945
Oh yeah, I got these baby last Christmas and a month ago the bass driver on my right iem went bad. There was no subbass. I got a replacement unit and this unit was relatively new... & I'm still under warranty coverage period.

Anyways... I am not here to complaint about Shure. Just trying to protect my rights as a customer and I guess serve as a reminder that we all should check our nozzles regularly as they can get loose overtime even after initially tightened with their key. I didn't see this part or any warnings in their instructional manuals.

So if anyone could provide the email to the right person, I would be grateful. Man... After spending so much money on a pair of universals I really hate dealing with this headache.

Now I'm forced back to my old trusted JH13. I like the highs, but the bass just isn't quite the same:frowning2:

I thought the issue is with the second time replacement. I think Shure wouldn't want to replace the missing part free (due to your negligence) after giving a new IEM a month ago. May be you have not screwed the nozzle tight enough in the first place As I have several times my IEM got pulled while in the pocket due to my cable got caught  by some object. The IEM still is good without any looseness and still sealed tight in my ear. I thought Shure has done everything right by giving you a reasonable price of fixing the problem.

Apr 29, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #10,920 of 22,945
  Some posts ago, I have written that my SE846 does not wow me sonically despite them being $999 and changing to all sorts of filters don't work quite well. Was close to modding my blue filters but held myself from doing it.

Yesterday I collected my NocturnaL Silver + Copper cables which I got locally from Treoo.com. Fitted them on and WOW it really opened up the SE846. On the stock blue filter, vocals are clearer, no longer they have that slightly veiled sound. Mid-Bass is toned down and not so boomy. It has become very warm and inviting eventhough playing through with an ipod nano.

Finally I am looking forward to put the 846 on my ears every day, and not a 'meh'

Plus they make the 846 look absolutely kick-ass.

Is this a balanced output?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back