Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #10,892 of 22,945
I've been looking at the Fiio X3 II as a PMP, but apparently it's pretty heavy and congested, so here's my question:

X5 vs iBasso DX50

(Astell & Kern AK100 was on my mind, but 5 times the price for the same chip? No thanks.)

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #10,893 of 22,945
  I've been at Moon Audio web pages for the last few days, clicking on check out and than cancelling it,

My current setup is
Note 4 (USB Audio Player Pro App)/PC (Hi-Res Audio Player) -> PHA-3 -> Shure SE846.

My question is, do you think will it be worth it upgrading the cable with Silver Dragon IEM headphone cable V1 with Dual 3.5mm balance connections for PHA-3.

Theoretically, I assume with this upgrade, there will be more audio range can be heard due to the cable upgrade, also with the PHA-3 Dual 3.5mm balance connections for individual audio L and R, there will be cleaner audio.

My audio tracks mainly are DSD when possible.

Seek the advice from the fellow SE846 users. 

I've been following the PHA-3 thread. Many there claim the balanced out is the only way to go with that device. Probably has to do with the way they designed the circuit. I don't think balanced is always better but with the PHA-3 all the reports suggest you will only hear what it can really do with the balanced out. Having said that, there probably are more reasonably priced alternatives in cables.

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #10,894 of 22,945
I've been looking at the Fiio X3 II as a PMP, but apparently it's pretty heavy and congested, so here's my question:

X5 vs iBasso DX50
x
(Astell & Kern AK100 was on my mind, but 5 times the price for the same chip? No thanks.)

X5 has it all over the DX50.  If you add a really good amp, the DX50 gets better but is still not in the X5's ballpark.  A better contrast would be the DX90, which costs about as much as the X5.  Then it gets to a matter of taste in the sound sig.  Or go to a Pono, which many of us feel is better than either.

Note that I am selling my X5.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #10,896 of 22,945
Hi guys,

Quick question, I have been having problem with customer service issue with Shure. I'm afraid I am not communicating with the right person...

I'm pretty reasonable so, I figured, instead of judging their aftersales service right away based on one bad rep. I should probably contact the right person First.

I strongly believe there is a design flaw in Shure SE846 and I am giving them another opportunity to make things right even after experiencing very poor customer support through email exchange earlier.

I can appreciate it's not easy building a brand, and I am still giving them the benefit of a doubt for now... Coz it's sad to see a few bad apples ruining the whole barrel.

Anyways, so if anyone's got an email address to their customer service manager please share... Thank in advance.

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #10,897 of 22,945
Hi guys,

Quick question, I have been having problem with customer service issue with Shure. I'm afraid I am not communicating with the right person...

I'm pretty reasonable so, I figured, instead of judging their aftersales service right away based on one bad rep. I should probably contact the right person First.

I strongly believe there is a design flaw in Shure SE846 and I am giving them another opportunity to make things right even after experiencing very poor customer support through email exchange earlier.

I can appreciate it's not easy building a brand, and I am still giving them the benefit of a doubt for now... Coz it's sad to see a few bad apples ruining the whole barrel.

Anyways, so if anyone's got an email address to their customer service manager please share... Thank in advance.

What is the design flaw?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #10,898 of 22,945
"I strongly believe there is a design flaw in Shure SE846 and I am giving them another opportunity to make things right even after experiencing very poor customer support through email exchange earlier."

This is how you are approaching them?  

If I was Shure, and you came at me like this, I don't think (no offense) I would respond in a positive manner either..  

But then you aren't giving us much info, so what is your complaint?

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #10,899 of 22,945
The metal nozzle getting loose over time... I didn't expect this to happen as I changed filters weeks ago and tightened it with their metal filter capsule(key). But it still got loose after almost a month, and one of my nozzle fell out while I was out and I couldn't find it.

While I appreciate the ability to change filters to tweak the sound signature, I think they should have desigNed some kinda lockto prevent this from happening.

I dunno about you guys, but I do not compulsively check how tightly screwed-in the nozzles are. unfortunately it fell out with my filter and tip.

This Sux, but I think shure should acknowledge this potential problem and provide stress-free customer service experience for such issue.

I don't know about you guys, but after spending a grand on iems I just want to enjoy the sound. Not dealing with potential design flaws or poor customer service.

But again, based on what many members described of their aftersale support, I still have some faith for the brand. Probably just need to contact the right person,that's all.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #10,900 of 22,945
So if I listen to mainly electro, and love my music to be upfront and more focused on sub-bass/bass, would you recommend the X5 or DX90?

In this case the X5 would be a sweet spot for your matching with 846. I find X5 to have a deeper sub bass impact and more quantity as well. Mids are also more upfront when compared to DX90. 846 matches very well with X5.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #10,901 of 22,945
Hi Old Dude,

I didn't lead with that when I emailed them. Hahaha... That just makes me sound belligerent. I came to the conclusion that the metal nozzle not having some sort of lock mechanism to them is a pretty big flaw. I lost half a monitor while out and about as it fell off.

This is a freaking nightmare as now my right ear is useless without a nozzle: (

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #10,902 of 22,945
Oh yeah, I got these baby last Christmas and a month ago the bass driver on my right iem went bad. There was no subbass. I got a replacement unit and this unit was relatively new... & I'm still under warranty coverage period.

Anyways... I am not here to complaint about Shure. Just trying to protect my rights as a customer and I guess serve as a reminder that we all should check our nozzles regularly as they can get loose overtime even after initially tightened with their key. I didn't see this part or any warnings in their instructional manuals.

So if anyone could provide the email to the right person, I would be grateful. Man... After spending so much money on a pair of universals I really hate dealing with this headache.

Now I'm forced back to my old trusted JH13. I like the highs, but the bass just isn't quite the same:frowning2:

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #10,903 of 22,945
Oh yeah, I got these baby last Christmas and a month ago the bass driver on my right iem went bad. There was no subbass. I got a replacement unit and this unit was relatively new... & I'm still under warranty coverage period.

Anyways... I am not here to complaint about Shure. Just trying to protect my rights as a customer and I guess serve as a reminder that we all should check our nozzles regularly as they can get loose overtime even after initially tightened with their key. I didn't see this part or any warnings in their instructional manuals.

So if anyone could provide the email to the right person, I would be grateful. Man... After spending so much money on a pair of universals I really hate dealing with this headache.

Now I'm forced back to my old trusted JH13. I like the highs, but the bass just isn't quite the same:frowning2:

Just my opinion but when asking for a replacement from any company, best refrain from critizising the design (for now). Just be upfront and polite and tell them what happened and ask for a replacemnt. If all goes well and they send the replacement, send a thank you email then that's the best time to give your feedback about the design and suggestions. Then close with another appreciation for them giving you the replacemnet and good service. Just how I would deal with these things personally since reps are humans too and despite the fact that they should be professional and should always respond politely, 'some' reps would get into a defensive position and might not go well for the customer complaining. Some of these reps are probably working long hours so politeness from customers can be a blessing. I hope someone can give you a proper email address. Good luck!

Apr 28, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #10,904 of 22,945
Just my opinion but when asking for a replacement from any company, best refrain from critizising the design (for now). Just be upfront and polite and tell them what happened and ask for a replacemnt. If all goes well and they send the replacement, send a thank you email then that's the best time to give your feedback about the design and suggestions. Then close with another appreciation for them giving you the replacemnet and good service. Just how I would deal with these things personally since reps are humans too and despite the fact that they should be professional and should always respond politely, 'some' reps would get into a defensive position and might not go well for the customer complaining. Some of these reps are probably working long hours so politeness from customers can be a blessing. I hope someone can give you a proper email address. Good luck!

Yes MarcusL. This is what I did. Even there's a problem with a product, I am not there to fight the reps. Simply because they are human too and I need their help.

I started my first email politely then as the shure customer rep responded "politely" that they won't honor their warranty and my only choice is to pay more to solve my problem I started stating their design flaws and asked them to own up to it.

The truth is, it's so easy to respond with a cold polite email to tell us the customer that we are screwed. Politeness does not equate to good aftersale service from the company. At the end of the day, I just want them to solve my problem and as a customer I believe the onus of their design problem should not fall on us.

I have received similar emails from less reputable companies and my experience with shure customer service is nothing like what I've read on this forum so far.... Sigh.

Btw,.. Thanks for all your inputs. Anyone can provide me an email to their customer service manager??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back