Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #10,847 of 22,945
Hey guys, 1st ever post so bear with me please.

I have trouble finding a good source for the shure se846's. I know they're picky, and that they hiss with certian players.

People have talked of the X3 and X5, the Sony NZ1/2, Astell and Kern and exedra.

Personally, I'm getting the LG G3, but then I heard that the phone has problems registering the IEMs or that it just has bad quality.

Then people are talking about needing a proper DAC.

I'll be playing FLAC files in various bitrates.

I'm just an audio enthusiast, but I've done hours of research on these guys. I'm not looking for other headphone recommendations, and my whole setup will be completely portable so nothing stationary please.

I'm just confused. Best portable hifi sources? (No budget)

Last week I would have said Fiio X5 (or similar: Cayin, pono etc) and still do for ultimate portability. But for a big rise in sound quality, X5 plus Hugo.

Not sure Hugo for running or mountain walks! But for taking anywhere around house, on holiday etc, its the biz.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #10,849 of 22,945
Thanks guys, last thing though, any good input sources that pair with the Hugo? I like the Astell and Kern AK240, but that already has a DAC built in.

I think that's massive overkill in that the AK would only be a transport. While the 240 may well be one of the best all-in-ones, not sure it makes sense with Hugo? Be interested in any 846 owners who have both.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #10,850 of 22,945
Thanks guys, last thing though, any good input sources that pair with the Hugo? I like the Astell and Kern AK240, but that already has a DAC built in.

Thats exactly it you have started your journey. Dacs are very important as are dac/amps like the hugo. The dac in an iphone is very good, the dac in the hugo is best in class, imo. What kind of player do you need then when a hugo or many dac amps by pass the one built into the player. are you using a phone, is it compatable with that dac amp.....keep on keeping on, your solution and monies spent are in the balance

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #10,851 of 22,945
Hey guys, 1st ever post so bear with me please.

I have trouble finding a good source for the shure se846's. I know they're picky, and that they hiss with certian players.

People have talked of the X3 and X5, the Sony NZ1/2, Astell and Kern and exedra.

Personally, I'm getting the LG G3, but then I heard that the phone has problems registering the IEMs or that it just has bad quality.

Then people are talking about needing a proper DAC.

I'll be playing FLAC files in various bitrates.

I'm just an audio enthusiast, but I've done hours of research on these guys. I'm not looking for other headphone recommendations, and my whole setup will be completely portable so nothing stationary please.

I'm just confused. Best portable hifi sources? (No budget)

The best source for portability and simplicity is AK240SS and replaced your SE846 stock cable with an upgraded balanced 2.5mm TRSS cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back