Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 18, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #13,291 of 22,954

That's exactly how my set up will be soon, still waiting for the balance Litz from Ted.

How the connection on the balance cable, do you hear any cut out or cracking when you move the cable around, I had that trouble when I move the AK100ii around, if it's stay still it's perfectly working, but once the cable/AK moves, the sounds got cut off. I heard it's a known issue with the female balance port on the AK being picky with what balance jack you have.

Ordered a balanced copper litz from HPL Ted for use with my AK100ii. Once arrived I will let you know about the cutting out/cracking issue if I have it.

Nov 19, 2015 at 2:30 AM Post #13,293 of 22,954

That's exactly how my set up will be soon, still waiting for the balance Litz from Ted.

How the connection on the balance cable, do you hear any cut out or cracking when you move the cable around, I had that trouble when I move the AK100ii around, if it's stay still it's perfectly working, but once the cable/AK moves, the sounds got cut off. I heard it's a known issue with the female balance port on the AK being picky with what balance jack you have.

mine works perfect and and no cut outs whatsoever

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:41 AM Post #13,294 of 22,954
relistened to the SE846 yesterday after not having heard them since selling them off, and in comparison to my 335DW, the mids seemed abit grainy and recessed. 

Nov 19, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #13,295 of 22,954
Thanks for trying to make us feel bad.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #13,296 of 22,954
Thanks for trying to make us feel bad.

No reason to feel bad based on one comment. I own the 846 and also one of the Fitear. The Fitear house sound is warmer in the mids than the Shure house sound. Personal preference enters into any comparison. Frankly I enjoy both although they are certainly different. I think the mids on the 8's are one of their best features. The 8's also allow for a lot of custom tuning with filters and even some  filter mods. I enjoy mine.

Nov 19, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #13,297 of 22,954
That FitEar is in a completely different price range isn't it and also a custom so a completely different experience. I've only heard one fitear and it was a universal however I do wish I was able to hear their customs (and also purchase it since I believe it's hard outside of Japan).

It doesn't change anything about the SE846..

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #13,298 of 22,954
  That FitEar is in a completely different price range isn't it and also a custom so a completely different experience. I've only heard one fitear and it was a universal however I do wish I was able to hear their customs (and also purchase it since I believe it's hard outside of Japan).

It doesn't change anything about the SE846..

The fitear I own is a universal. The one commented is a custom in a very different price range. There are 800 pages of comments on the 846 so I think we have pretty well described it in every possible detail. That is still no substitute for personal experience. One thing I have discovered about iem's in general is that opinions can very greatly depending on associated equipment and ones own listening preferences.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #13,299 of 22,954
anyone using the 846 with the ibasso dx80? any comments for this pairing?

am considering purchasing either the X5 gen2 or the dx80.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #13,301 of 22,954

Shure + grainy + mids ?

Something does not add up here.

It depends on what it is being compared to so I could see that being the case if it is a high end custom.

On another note I bought some spinfit tips for these and they apparently did nothing for me. It looks like the olive tips are probably the best for me. The SE846 came with two sets of mediums so I'm good for a while before I need to buy another pair. I'm hoping the spinfit tips are good with the Dunu iem's I bought recently or that would have been a waste of $30 or however much it cost.

Nov 19, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #13,302 of 22,954
I too was not overwhelmed with SpinFits on first try, but have since MODDED with core from the Yellow Shure tips (i.e. with screen) and now prefer this over the Sensaphonic custom molds. I find a lot depends on cable, tips, and filter with 846. Keep playing with the SpinFits and see if you find a combo you like.

Nov 19, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #13,303 of 22,954
I bought the Shure SE846 5 months ago and upgraded them with a silver cable. I gave them a proper amount of time for burn in and they are the reason i started enjoying music again (just like i did when i was a teenager).
Thank you Shure for crafting these fine piece of audio equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back