Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 17, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #13,276 of 22,946
Chodi, I agree with what you say but I will add that the 846 has one of the best bass compared to other BA iems. It is not the best compated to certain iems with DD drivers.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #13,277 of 22,946
Chodi, I agree with what you say but I will add that the 846 has one of the best bass compared to other BA iems. It is not the best compated to certain iems with DD drivers.

Not to disagree but would you please name some. I would be very happy to buy a few to try. I would be interested in your suggestions.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #13,278 of 22,946
Chodi, the Aurisonics 2.5 has ground shaking sub bass with hard ounchibg bass. It has a bass port that one can adjust the bass, I have it at only 25% open any more open will pound my head too much (pain). Aurisonics Harmony has more Bass plus it has two BA Drivers that makes the treble extend close to how the UK10. Sony Z5 and 90EX have deeper sub bass.

Nov 17, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #13,279 of 22,946
  This thread has gotten really interesting. You guys are comparing the 846 to the K10U? They are in very different price ranges not to mention that actually getting a K10U is almost impossible. I own the 846 among others and have had the K10U in my home for an audition (a friend had one). They are nothing alike. I am not saying one is obviously better but they are very different. Your personal preference would apply. I would say the K10U would better be compared to something like the UM Mentor or the UM Mason both of which I have owned. The 846 is the king in the bass department. Nothing I have heard can equal the sub bass of the 846. It is at least competitive with most everything in its price range but your personal taste would apply. At a street price around $800 the 846 is a best buy in my book.

It depends where you live but $650 should be obtainable if you are in ConUS. Most of the time I see a FS ad for the SE846 the first digit seems to be a 6 lately. I can't remember how much I bought mine for but I'm guessing it's in the same range. I'm not sure why they are discounted so much but it's good for the buyer.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #13,280 of 22,946

It depends where you live but $650 should be obtainable if you are in ConUS. Most of the time I see a FS ad for the SE846 the first digit seems to be a 6 lately. I can't remember how much I bought mine for but I'm guessing it's in the same range. I'm not sure why they are discounted so much but it's good for the buyer.

Certainly they are available used in the $600-$700 even here on this forum. You can buy them online new for around $800 if you shop. I cannot account for local taxes and import duty as it may apply. Where I live everything comes at a large premium do to taxes even if you buy online. I have to pay as much as a 30% premium in my location for anything imported. For those in the US things are much more reasonable.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #13,281 of 22,946
Chodi, the Aurisonics 2.5 has ground shaking sub bass with hard ounchibg bass. It has a bass port that one can adjust the bass, I have it at only 25% open any more open will pound my head too much (pain). Aurisonics Harmony has more Bass plus it has two BA Drivers that makes the treble extend close to how the UK10. Sony Z5 and 90EX have deeper sub bass.

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't want to give the impression that I'm a basshead. Far from it. I listen mostly to classical music and the bass forms the foundation for all classical music.

Would you describe the harmony as a TOTL iem competitive with products like the K10U and the UM Mentor? If so I will order tomorrow.

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #13,282 of 22,946
Chodi, yes but to be totally shure (no pun intended) if you like the Treble of the 846 the get the Forte and if you like the Treble from the UK10 the the Harmony is for you. Both the Forte and Harmony has thunderous sub bass and silky clear thick mids.

Nov 17, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #13,283 of 22,946

There is a difference between quanity and quality.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #13,284 of 22,946
2.5can be a bit lower quality due to how powerful its bass is but the Aurisonics Harmony has quality top notch bass and a lot of quantity.

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #13,285 of 22,946
2.5can be a bit lower quality due to how powerful its bass is but the Aurisonics Harmony has quality top notch bass and a lot of quantity

Be interesting to see how the Harmony stacks up against the new entries from  Dunu which are based on the same design principle. I am assuming the new Dunu will be around the same price range? There is also a host of other dynamic plus BA entries out there from Translucent and UM among others.

Probably is time to get back on subject with the 846 as an owner I still feel it is a fantastic iem in it's price range.

Nov 18, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #13,286 of 22,946
there you have it 

shure 846 + westone tips + balanced cable from ted Allen + Ak100ii 

all balanced

then there is the adapter that I use when i want to listen to the ak100ii + headstage arrow 5tx in single mode

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #13,287 of 22,946
there you have it 

all balanced

then there is the adapter that I use when i want to listen to the ak100ii + headstage arrow 5tx in single mode

Slick setup, must ssound incredible :) I like how you can see the Head-Fi in the reflection too haha

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #13,288 of 22,946
Slick setup, must ssound incredible
smily_headphones1.gif
I like how you can see the Head-Fi in the reflection too haha

i was doing serious testing that moment with my gear, by the way balanced is a different story than single ended with ak100ii and the westone tips are amazing

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #13,289 of 22,946
How much more forwards are the mids of the SE846 compared to the UM3X. 
Also interested to know how much larger the sound stage is from the shures. UM3X is known to have a very small, intimate and almost claustrophobic like sound stage.
Does the SE846 share the same issue prone mmcx connectors in the SE series? 

Nov 18, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #13,290 of 22,946
  there you have it 

all balanced

That's exactly how my set up will be soon, still waiting for the balance Litz from Ted.

How the connection on the balance cable, do you hear any cut out or cracking when you move the cable around, I had that trouble when I move the AK100ii around, if it's stay still it's perfectly working, but once the cable/AK moves, the sounds got cut off. I heard it's a known issue with the female balance port on the AK being picky with what balance jack you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back