Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #13,306 of 22,954
  I too was not overwhelmed with SpinFits on first try, but have since MODDED with core from the Yellow Shure tips (i.e. with screen) and now prefer this over the Sensaphonic custom molds. I find a lot depends on cable, tips, and filter with 846. Keep playing with the SpinFits and see if you find a combo you like.

Unfortunately they just don't fit me well. I've had this issue in the past with some single flanged tips so it's not a surprise but disappointing since these tips were a bit expensive. Hopefully they fit better on the other iem I'll have but if not no big deal. Two out of the four sets I have are unused so I can sell them anyway so not all is lost. 

I do have a cable coming in soon so pretty excited about that. My linum cable crapped out on me recently and have been using the stock cable since which is not that good for a glasses user such as myself.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #13,307 of 22,954
I bought 4 pair of spinfits off the reviews and wound up not using them on any iem I own. I never could get a really good seal with them. Since I have been on this kick with universal iem's I have learned a lot about tips and the fit as it can make or break the sound of any iem. I must have bought most of the tips available in the market and tried them all on several iem's I own. I discovered the fit is a very personal thing. What works with one iem for someone else may very well not be your best choice. Unfortunately, the only way to get to your personal best with each iem is to go through a lot of experimentation. On the 846 I wound up with the grey flex tips as my personal best and they sound great and fit me very comfortably. Might be a totally different experience for someone else.

I also changed the cable for a custom silver cable and got a noticeable improvement. I am not really a cable guy but this certainly made a positive difference with the 846. I have much more expensive iem's and I still feel the 8's are competitive and very enjoyable.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:56 PM Post #13,308 of 22,954
  I bought 4 pair of spinfits off the reviews and wound up not using them on any iem I own. I never could get a really good seal with them. Since I have been on this kick with universal iem's I have learned a lot about tips and the fit as it can make or break the sound of any iem. I must have bought most of the tips available in the market and tried them all on several iem's I own. I discovered the fit is a very personal thing. What works with one iem for someone else may very well not be your best choice. Unfortunately, the only way to get to your personal best with each iem is to go through a lot of experimentation. On the 846 I wound up with the grey flex tips as my personal best and they sound great and fit me very comfortably. Might be a totally different experience for someone else.

I also changed the cable for a custom silver cable and got a noticeable improvement. I am not really a cable guy but this certainly made a positive difference with the 846. I have much more expensive iem's and I still feel the 8's are competitive and very enjoyable.

I still use the stock ones (the dark grey/blackish with that wax feeling). I think the Shure SE846 are super comfortable (once you adjusted the behind the ear cable correctly).

I changed my cable to the Brimar Quantum SXC (bought in Bangkok) and i also heard a noticeable difference. Though i think that the improvement that i heard for a 200 $ cable compared to stock might be a big difference, but i cant imagine that a 2000 $ cable would give me that much more (and i even take in account it all might be a placebo, which is also fine because i "only" spent 200 $ on the cable - it looks cooler and it sounds better - or tricks my brain - whatever).

Edit: Do you think it is worth going for a balanced silver cable and get a balanced amp like the RSA Protector ? Is the difference that huge compared to a standard silver cable upgrade?

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:51 PM Post #13,309 of 22,954

I changed my cable to the Brimar Quantum SXC (bought in Bangkok) and i also heard a noticeable difference. 

Hi,

Where in BKK do you get these?

Nov 20, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #13,310 of 22,954

Hi,

Where in BKK do you get these?

Jet Live Audio.. near Asok BTS.

I also found Munkong Gadget to be a very well informed shop, but i discovered it after i bought the IEM and the Cable already, not sure if they might also have it.

Nov 20, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #13,311 of 22,954
  Jet Live Audio.. near Asok BTS.

I also found Munkong Gadget to be a very well informed shop, but i discovered it after i bought the IEM and the Cable already, not sure if they might also have it.

Many thanks!  Jet looks impressive. I have a condo next to Ekkamai BTS so I'll pop in there when I return in December.

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #13,313 of 22,954
Hi guys just bought a used se846 and its with the blue filter. I was looking around and i saw something like wax in the filter so i pulled it out, looks like some wool or something, is this a mod the prev owner did or did i just damage the filter?

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #13,314 of 22,954
Hi guys just bought a used se846 and its with the blue filter. I was looking around and i saw something like wax in the filter so i pulled it out, looks like some wool or something, is this a mod the prev owner did or did i just damage the filter?

Stock blue filter does have stuff in it, if you take the thing out, its considered the "blue filter mod".  As long as you didn't damage the "wool", you can just put it back in.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #13,316 of 22,954
Thanks for pointing that out, i also just did the blue filter mod and will listen to it today :)

Nov 21, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #13,317 of 22,954

I still use the stock ones (the dark grey/blackish with that wax feeling). I think the Shure SE846 are super comfortable (once you adjusted the behind the ear cable correctly).

I changed my cable to the Brimar Quantum SXC (bought in Bangkok) and i also heard a noticeable difference. Though i think that the improvement that i heard for a 200 $ cable compared to stock might be a big difference, but i cant imagine that a 2000 $ cable would give me that much more (and i even take in account it all might be a placebo, which is also fine because i "only" spent 200 $ on the cable - it looks cooler and it sounds better - or tricks my brain - whatever).

Edit: Do you think it is worth going for a balanced silver cable and get a balanced amp like the RSA Protector ? Is the difference that huge compared to a standard silver cable upgrade?

Won't cost 2 g but dhc best I have tried. Check my sig for further reviews, photos, for what I got. Also blue un modded is great through these.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:01 AM Post #13,318 of 22,954

Stock blue filter does have stuff in it, if you take the thing out, its considered the "blue filter mod".  As long as you didn't damage the "wool", you can just put it back in.

What will it improve exactly?  I'm curious.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #13,319 of 22,954
Well you have to try it. I did and decided didn't like the low end reverb I was getting with my dhc and Hugo. Most try the whites, go wow to clarity but over time get tired of harshness, so modded blues seems like the fusion choice in this regard.

Nov 21, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #13,320 of 22,954
Well you have to try it. I did and decided didn't like the low end reverb I was getting with my dhc and Hugo. Most try the whites, go wow to clarity but over time get tired of harshness, so modded blues seems like the fusion choice in this regard.

Thx   :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back