Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #19,996 of 22,946
I would have probably picked up a Shure KSE1200 by now if it had detachable cables but seeing as it doesn't, I think that's a bit too much money on a portable device for which I can't replace the cables in case something happens to it :)
Totally understand. Also, compare the setups:

1) connect your OTG cable from your smartphone to your Hugo 2 microUSB input and set its input to USB. Power up the KSA (KSE amp unit) and set it to line input and connect a 3.5 mm cable from the Hugo 2 output to the KSA line input, then connect your KSE earbuds to the KSA LEMO ports.

vs

2) plug your SE846 into your V30.

Option 1 doesn't really work if you're in a rush, at the gym, running/cycling, etc. :wink:

Feb 7, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #19,997 of 22,946
Totally understand. Also, compare the setups:

1) connect your OTG cable from your smartphone to your Hugo 2 microUSB input and set its input to USB. Power up the KSA (KSE amp unit) and set it to line input and connect a 3.5 mm cable from the Hugo 2 output to the KSA line input, then connect your KSE earbuds to the KSA LEMO ports.

vs

2) plug your SE846 into your V30.

Option 1 doesn't really work if you're in a rush, at the gym, running/cycling, etc. :wink:

Indeed different use cases though :)
Unfortunately my ears are that tiny I don't have access to these multi BA IEM's..
(I can listen to them for a brief moment but I can't own them because I just can't fit the damn huge shells) :p

I've just found out about Final Audio so I might try my luck with one of those dynamic driver IEM's...

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #19,998 of 22,946
Hi guys, this is probably nothing but while cleaning my 846, I've noticed the seals on the nozzle collar has deteriorated... Now the collar doesn't sit flush when it's tighten down, don't think it would impact anything but should I get the seals replaced and if there's even any replacement seals available?
IMG_0847.jpg
IMG_0850.jpg

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #19,999 of 22,946
How do the seals deteriorate like that? Looks like the Challenger O Rings...I would try contacting their customer service, wouldn't risk self repair on an expensive IEM like that (hopefully still warranty, or cheap repair from Shure service dept)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:32 AM Post #20,000 of 22,946
Post #20000 get rekt casuls.

I am deathly curious where the IEM market will be in 5 years, with new manufacturing techniques and materials and acoustic transducer technology coming out so seemingly rapidly....AMT drivers, electrostatic, planar magnetic, laser cut filters, Tia, graphene, 3D metal printing, CNT fibers...the future looks bright!

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 2:35 AM Post #20,002 of 22,946
No clue... Maybe I've tighten it down too much perhaps??

Actually that makes sense, especially if they are latex instead of silicone O.o

If it is a removable piece you could try searching for a generic O-ring with the same dimensions, shouldn't be too bad to find from an online hardware retailer like Grainger or something

Feb 10, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #20,003 of 22,946
Hi guys, this is probably nothing but while cleaning my 846, I've noticed the seals on the nozzle collar has deteriorated... Now the collar doesn't sit flush when it's tighten down, don't think it would impact anything but should I get the seals replaced and if there's even any replacement seals available?
This has also happened to my pair some time ago. I just scratched the residues of the sealing ring away – the sound is the same without them.

Feb 12, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #20,004 of 22,946
2evdxdk.jpg

Probably my first real OMG moment in years,all it took was a $2 TRRS plug and some rewiring.Prefer listening to these balanced than Andro S or CA Atlas unbalanced.These scale and scale in clarity,detail,soundstage and general efortlessness and overall refinement as well as musical enjoyment.I can safely say you haven't heard the real SE846 until you plug them into really good gear,we were missing out with phones and $300 or even $1000 daps sad to say.For the really adventurous get the SP1000M Gold as it is said to be warmer and richer in tone plus it's the best looking dap out there.

Feb 12, 2019 at 7:57 PM Post #20,005 of 22,946
2evdxdk.jpg

Probably my first real OMG moment in years,all it took was a $2 TRRS plug and some rewiring.Prefer listening to these balanced than Andro S or CA Atlas unbalanced.These scale and scale in clarity,detail,soundstage and general efortlessness and overall refinement as well as musical enjoyment.I can safely say you haven't heard the real SE846 until you plug them into really good gear,we were missing out with phones and $300 or even $1000 daps sad to say.For the really adventurous get the SP1000M Gold as it is said to be warmer and richer in tone plus it's the best looking dap out there.

somehow I haven't experienced any major difference using balanced vs unbalanced....:frowning2:
probably need more time or something

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #20,006 of 22,946
somehow I haven't experienced any major difference using balanced vs unbalanced....:frowning2:

Better more holographic sound,taking into account the physical limitation of SE846,this is not a soundstage iem,it stretches a bit wider and deeper,bass is more controlled and more detailed ,better imaging and separation of instruments,unbalanced sounds more fuzzy and closed in always in comparison,the sound is a bit more refined and dynamic balanced but of course this is not a night and day difference like listening to a phone.

Feb 12, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #20,007 of 22,946

Don't expect too. Really Balanced is not necessary with cables under 15ft really. Unless you have a DAP that has like double the amount of voltage out of the balanced output or you have extremely hard to drive headphones. If you are using really efficient IEM's (10ohms or so) there is no point, I've actually had issues with balanced output with players and certain IEM's (WM1Z and Shure 846) You have to study the principles, though. A good low impedance amp capable of delivering required power to the headphones for your target SPL that could be configured for either a differential output or single ended output, and the gain difference compensated for, then there would be no audible difference....Just my take.

Feb 13, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #20,008 of 22,946
Took delivery of a second hand set of 846’s this morning, they are a recent model from May 18.

Always been keen to try the 846 and so far with only a small amount of listening this morning I am very impressed. Had to change the tips from the foam to the grey tips to get a good seal and better sound. The foams sounded thin and tinny. The greys however really open up and so far I’m very pleased with these. Using the Sony WM1a as source.

Feb 13, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #20,009 of 22,946

A lot depends upon the DAP itself, its output impedance, and the quality of the balanced cable being used (less about copper v silver, and more about capacitance and impedance). After going balanced with more than 20 headphones and IEMs, the difference going balanced makes goes from absolutely nothing to a fairly significant difference. Lots of variables involved. For what it's worth, my 846 did improve going balanced on the Onkyo DP-X1, though I did have to change the filter and tip-roll again to make up for the slight difference in tonality and that balanced and increased output impedance made.

Overall, I agree completely with this:
Better more holographic sound,taking into account the physical limitation of SE846,this is not a soundstage iem,it stretches a bit wider and deeper,bass is more controlled and more detailed ,better imaging and separation of instruments,unbalanced sounds more fuzzy and closed in always in comparison,the sound is a bit more refined and dynamic balanced but of course this is not a night and day difference like listening to a phone.

I especially agree with the part about how this difference is fairly subtle and does very little to the tonality. I found such a difference worth the price of a cable, but others may not.

Feb 15, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #20,010 of 22,946
I've just bought some new SE846 from Amazon UK and it appears the cable is attached to the headshell, even though there are two cables included. The top of the cable that came attached is rubbery. Am I missing something?

Also, it no longer comes with filters. This is a totally different product that the last time I bought them new.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back