Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 17, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #20,026 of 22,945
Any of you use ALO cables?

I have had 2 ALO reference 8 cables with intermittent connections, seems like the MMCX connection is slightly loose. ALO was gracious enough to replace my first one, second cable is the same. The connection "snaps" into place but you can definitely tell it fits looser than the stock Shure cables. I don't have any issues with my 846's and my stock cables.

It's not a deal breaker, as I can use the ALO with another set of IEMs, also I don't have an connection issue with the ALO and other IEM's, I have the on a pair of BGVP DM6's at the moment, maybe I'll try a set of Shure 535's.

My thought is that Shure's are held to tighter tolerances, maybe they build their cable specifically for their IEM's, and while the ALO isn't cheap and is of excellent quality, they have to build them to work with all IEM's...?

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:10 PM Post #20,027 of 22,945
Any of you use ALO cables?

I have had 2 ALO reference 8 cables with intermittent connections, seems like the MMCX connection is slightly loose. ALO was gracious enough to replace my first one, second cable is the same. The connection "snaps" into place but you can definitely tell it fits looser than the stock Shure cables. I don't have any issues with my 846's and my stock cables.

It's not a deal breaker, as I can use the ALO with another set of IEMs, also I don't have an connection issue with the ALO and other IEM's, I have the on a pair of BGVP DM6's at the moment, maybe I'll try a set of Shure 535's.

My thought is that Shure's are held to tighter tolerances, maybe they build their cable specifically for their IEM's, and while the ALO isn't cheap and is of excellent quality, they have to build them to work with all IEM's...?
Take some fine-grit sandpaper to those ALO plugs (see two posts back).

Feb 17, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #20,029 of 22,945
You could try filing down the edge of your plug (don't touch the headphone itself - only the cable plug) using fine-grit sandpaper. This has worked for me with other mmcx headphones. The region in red is the only thing that wants reducing slightly.

If that fails, I think it's time for a replacement earbud :frowning2:

Thanks a lot

That makes sense and is a trick worth trying:thumbsup:
First I'll wait on the Shure reply,

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #20,032 of 22,945
They are super lower impedance, I have no issues driving them from my iPhone, Although they will benefit from more power, and better source, How much difference is subjective. In short you will get great sound quality out of a phone.

Feb 22, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #20,033 of 22,945
They are super lower impedance, I have no issues driving them from my iPhone, Although they will benefit from more power, and better source, How much difference is subjective. In short you will get great sound quality out of a phone.

I've had these for a while and can say you're missing out if you're driving them with a phone, unless it's one with a dedicated DAC, like LG's offerings. The SE846 sounded pretty dang good out of the LG V30 when I had it.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:35 PM Post #20,035 of 22,945
I've had these for a while and can say you're missing out if you're driving them with a phone, unless it's one with a dedicated DAC, like LG's offerings. The SE846 sounded pretty dang good out of the LG V30 when I had it.

I drive them from my phone (if needed) When I don't have my DAP (Sony WM1Z) or portable amp (ifi audio micro idsd) with me. There are plenty other IEM's I own that struggle with a phone, not the 846's. I had a DragonFly Red for a couple months with my iPhone and 846's Too much hiss though. Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #20,037 of 22,945
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #20,039 of 22,945
Shure SE846 Knowles Damper Modification

The Brown Knowles damper inside of cable insulation

Introduction

I would like to say a huge thank you to my friend @csglinux for introducing me to the Knowles dampers by giving me some of the dampers at the last The Source AV Summer Series event. I have heard about the dampers, but didn't really think about them too much as I've been pretty busy with writing reviews and taking care of my baby daughter. I am really glad that @csglinux talked about them to me and also glad that there is a difference to the sound of each pair of dampers that are much like the machined valve pairs of my Torque t096z IEM.

"Knowles" your role

The acoustic impedances of the Knowles dampers are:

Grey: 330 ‎Ω
White: 680 ‎Ω
Brown: 1k ‎Ω
Green: 1.5k ‎Ω
Red: 2.2k ‎Ω
Orange 3.3k ‎Ω
Yellow: 4.7k ‎Ω

You can purchase the various colored dampers for the SE846 here (posted originally by @csglinux)

Grey: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=3unH/Dqlvl9jDj9uyvmVwA==
White: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=3unH/Dqlvl%2bz0DHih1fc5w==
Brown: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...00virtualkey66550000virtualkey721-BF-1860-000
Green: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=3unH/Dqlvl/u8b73ZrZUpQ==
Red: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...00virtualkey66550000virtualkey721-BF-1921-000
Orange: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Produc...00virtualkey66550000virtualkey721-BF-1922-000
Yellow: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=3unH/Dqlvl%2byyYubQJkbrQ==

You'll need to use something like cable insulation for the dampers to insert into because the dampers are too small to fit in the SE846 nozzles. Also, once you do this, the cable insulated dampers can't fit into the SE846 nozzle inserts/filters, so you will need to insert only the damper into the nozzle and use each damper instead of the nozzle inserts/filters. I personally put the side of the damper that has the acoustic material the closest to the top inside the SE846 nozzle first.

Acoustic Knowles damper material on top-inside of the damper, inside of SE846 nozzle

Top view

Side view

Top view - zoomed

Brown Knowles damper inside of SE846 nozzle

Knowles damper sound impressions

Now, to the different color Knowles dampers, my listening results:

The Grey sounds a little muffled compared to the other dampers. You may hear it as bright, though.

White is slightly clearer in sound than the Grey.

Red is pretty vibrant and an enjoyable listen.

Green is a little warmer and enveloping. Also enjoyable.

Orange is more of a laid back sound...

...and Brown...Brown is magic. I love the Brown! A good second place is Red for me, but Brown is really, really good! Wow. Clear and vibrant, treble extends far to my ears, and is really enriching to my senses. Everything sounds so articulate and coherent. It's really cool how these different color dampers can change the sound so much - kind of like my Torque IEM with the 6 interchangeable valves. I even tried the Brown against my Black modded, which didn't sound as vibrant in comparison, and filterless (full After Burner), and that didn't have the same emotion and richness (but still highly detailed) sound of the Brown. The Brown is my favorite out of all of the Knowles dampers, nozzle inserts including modded, and filterless (full After Burner).

Add in a third party cable such as the Ted Allen Silver Litz, Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves - paired with your favorite source, and you have a combo that is simply amazing, to my ears.

To take out the Knowles damper: use a paper clip, making sure to angle the paper clip so you push only the cable insulated part of the damper, and not damage the actual damper or acoustic material in any way

Beautiful sound, in a small package

The SE846 has risen an even higher level now with regards to my enjoyment of the IEM.

Conclusion

For the price of the dampers, I would highly recommend them to every SE846 owner to help tailor the sound even more to your ears.[/QUOT

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #20,040 of 22,945
hey thanks for the great article about the damper modification, i got a question base on your comment about installation that got me a bit confuse, you wrote "
ou'll need to use something like cable insulation for the dampers to insert into because the dampers are too small to fit in the SE846 nozzles. Also, once you do this, the cable insulated dampers can't fit into the SE846 nozzle inserts/filters, so you will need to insert only the damper into the nozzle and use each damper instead of the nozzle inserts/filters.
so what i need to know is i will take the blue native filter and replace with the Damper, right ??
and why do i need a cable to insert the damper if i can just replace it with the original filter, maybe a picture can help me to understand, anyhow i do thank you for your time and any input will be appreciated
thanks
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back