Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2019 at 4:40 AM Post #19,981 of 22,942
Has nothing to do with the connectors. What is the impedance out on the Sony? If its high - then its a damping and crossover issue. Higher impedance from your source will skew the frequency response. Often happens with very low impedance multi-BA IEMs (especially if they have crossovers)
True, but it is only happening with his right earbud, and only on balanced-out. Is the z-out of the WM1Z significantly different in balanced and SE modes? And even if that's the case, why only on the right bud??

P.S. Apparently SE out on the WM1Z is <1 Ohm.

Attachments

• mcxplug.png
    mcxplug.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:02 AM Post #19,982 of 22,942
True, but it is only happening with his right earbud, and only on balanced-out. Is the z-out of the WM1Z significantly different in balanced and SE modes? And even if that's the case, why only on the right bud??

P.S. Apparently SE out on the WM1Z is <1 Ohm.

Oh - his post isn't exactly clear. So he's saying he has an issue with one of the earpieces which only shows up for Bal and not for SE? Sounds like a cable issue to me.

Feb 1, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #19,983 of 22,942
Has nothing to do with the connectors. What is the impedance out on the Sony? If its high - then its a damping and crossover issue. Higher impedance from your source will skew the frequency response. Often happens with very low impedance multi-BA IEMs (especially if they have crossovers)

WM1Z output impedance - 0.94
Shure 846 impedance - 9
ALO Reference 8 cable impedance - .8

I'm not experiencing this issue with any other IEM or cable, and the unbalanced 3.5 is normal as well.

To be honest with the super efficient IEM's I'm running balanced vs unbalanced doesn't seem to change, both the performance and sound quality seem to be equal. Anything 40ohm and above the balanced out is preferred, unless I switch to high output mode on the Sony via 3.5mm

Also thought it might be good to mention, balanced 4.4 output via the WM1Z and Focal Elear is also fine.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #19,985 of 22,942
WM1Z output impedance - 0.94
That's correct. I don't know if that's the same for both the single-ended and balanced outputs, but I'd imagine it would be.

Shure 846 impedance - 9
ALO Reference 8 cable impedance - .8

I'm not experiencing this issue with any other IEM or cable, and the unbalanced 3.5 is normal as well.

You've got a really good puzzle here :) I'm going to assume your hearing is equally good in both ears (that's probably not true for any of us, but let's roll with it for now). The fact that the issue seems to follow the right earbud suggests it's not the cable alone (though it might still be good to clean all connectors and measure boths sets of L and R wires separately with a multimeter). It seems to me most likely an issue with the MMCX socket on your right earbud not properly seating the balanced cable plugs, or, just maybe, some mismatch between your L and R buds that you're only noticing with a higher-impedance cable. I'd go with the Deoxit first, because it's cheap (at least in the US!) and will always come in handy another day. If you notice any hint of crackling or drop-outs with that balanced cable, I'd definitely also take that fine-grit sandpaper to your balanced-cable plugs (as in my previous post).

If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at getting yourself a better balanced cable (if you really believe in balanced outputs that is - but that's a question for another day). IMHO, 0.8 Ohm is a bit high for a piece of wire. My Ag litz cables are all about 0.2 Ohm, even with a 2.5->3.5 mm adapter connected. 0.8 Ohm (and 0.94 Ohm) might not sound like a lot, but this can be a bit too high for the SE846 (or Andromeda), given that they're only nominally rated at 8 Ohm based on their response at 1 kHz. Their actual impedances vary with frequency and both drop below 4 Ohm in certain locations:

se846_impedance.png

I left the L and R SE846 measurements separate to show that these things do come with some small unit variance. A higher cable impedance from your WM1Z could create a shift which shows up more strongly on one channel. Something also to note... you said you'd not heard any effect with other earbuds. Andromeda should also show a shift with higher impedance source/cable, but its response, and what you'd need to be listening for, will be very different. You can (roughly) consider the impedance curves to be the shape of the EQ you'd apply when increasing z-out. SE846 tends to get darker, whereas Andromeda tends to get brighter. Both are arguably aberrations, but if you provide a boost at 8 kHz (Andromeda), and can overlook the fatigue and changes in timbre this causes, you typically will hear more detail, so it can lead people to either not worry, not notice, or to think their cable is actually doing something magical. BTW, the effects of cable impedance on the SE846 can easily be measured, even with the cheapest of couplers:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1207#post-13644650

My best guess is that you need some Deoxit on your right earbud mmcx connector and/or sandpaper on your balanced cable plugs. Plan B - I'd try a better (lower-impedance) balanced cable. And, Plan C - in an ideal world, a DAP with lower z-out and no silly proprietary balanced connections :wink:

I'm curious to know which of these (if any?) fixes the problem. Please don't keep us in suspense for too long... Good luck!

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #19,986 of 22,942
Totally agree - Andro should be showing similar variations if its an impedance issue.

Feb 1, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #19,987 of 22,942
That's correct. I don't know if that's the same for both the single-ended and balanced outputs, but I'd imagine it would be.

You've got a really good puzzle here :) I'm going to assume your hearing is equally good in both ears (that's probably not true for any of us, but let's roll with it for now). The fact that the issue seems to follow the right earbud suggests it's not the cable alone (though it might still be good to clean all connectors and measure boths sets of L and R wires separately with a multimeter). It seems to me most likely an issue with the MMCX socket on your right earbud not properly seating the balanced cable plugs, or, just maybe, some mismatch between your L and R buds that you're only noticing with a higher-impedance cable. I'd go with the Deoxit first, because it's cheap (at least in the US!) and will always come in handy another day. If you notice any hint of crackling or drop-outs with that balanced cable, I'd definitely also take that fine-grit sandpaper to your balanced-cable plugs (as in my previous post).

If that doesn't fix it, I'd look at getting yourself a better balanced cable (if you really believe in balanced outputs that is - but that's a question for another day). IMHO, 0.8 Ohm is a bit high for a piece of wire. My Ag litz cables are all about 0.2 Ohm, even with a 2.5->3.5 mm adapter connected. 0.8 Ohm (and 0.94 Ohm) might not sound like a lot, but this can be a bit too high for the SE846 (or Andromeda), given that they're only nominally rated at 8 Ohm based on their response at 1 kHz. Their actual impedances vary with frequency and both drop below 4 Ohm in certain locations:

I left the L and R SE846 measurements separate to show that these things do come with some small unit variance. A higher cable impedance from your WM1Z could create a shift which shows up more strongly on one channel. Something also to note... you said you'd not heard any effect with other earbuds. Andromeda should also show a shift with higher impedance source/cable, but its response, and what you'd need to be listening for, will be very different. You can (roughly) consider the impedance curves to be the shape of the EQ you'd apply when increasing z-out. SE846 tends to get darker, whereas Andromeda tends to get brighter. Both are arguably aberrations, but if you provide a boost at 8 kHz (Andromeda), and can overlook the fatigue and changes in timbre this causes, you typically will hear more detail, so it can lead people to either not worry, not notice, or to think their cable is actually doing something magical. BTW, the effects of cable impedance on the SE846 can easily be measured, even with the cheapest of couplers:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/shure-se846-impressions-thread.675219/page-1207#post-13644650

My best guess is that you need some Deoxit on your right earbud mmcx connector and/or sandpaper on your balanced cable plugs. Plan B - I'd try a better (lower-impedance) balanced cable. And, Plan C - in an ideal world, a DAP with lower z-out and no silly proprietary balanced connections :wink:

I'm curious to know which of these (if any?) fixes the problem. Please don't keep us in suspense for too long... Good luck!

Wow! Thank you.

Really great stuff here.

I have have inspected the MMCX connector on both Shure ear buds, to my surprise the right earbud has a lot movement especially with the after market cables, not so much on the stock Shure cable though, the reference 8 cable is a proper well made cable, it fits a bit more securely with the DM6's and Campfire.

I have reached out to both Companies. Shure has agreed to replace my 846's, and ALO has offered a repair (if any) and/or a replacement.

I have Deoxit on order, I also will be picking up a demo set of 846's next Tuesday. I'll keep you posted. Again, Thank you. And really, I have no problem going with the stock cable and single end out of the WM1Z It sounds fantastic!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #19,988 of 22,942
Shure has agreed to replace my 846's, and ALO has offered a repair (if any) and/or a replacement.
That's very good of Shure, because I don't see any evidence of anything wrong with your 846s here. The problem with mmcx is it comes in all types of subtly-varying sizes and flavors; it's not as universal as you might think :) Anyway, good luck and please let us know what the outcome is!

Feb 1, 2019 at 5:40 PM Post #19,989 of 22,942
That's very good of Shure, because I don't see any evidence of anything wrong with your 846s here. The problem with mmcx is it comes in all types of subtly-varying sizes and flavors; it's not as universal as you might think :) Anyway, good luck and please let us know what the outcome is!

Agree, although being the right ear bud mmcx connection is much looser than the right...I made a strong case. I also know the dealer rep in my area. :)

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #19,990 of 22,942
Questions guys. I've been using the 846's for many years now with a Sony WM1Z, I love the paring! I've been looking at the KSE1200 & 1500 From what I can tell the difference between the 2 is the built in digital front end correct (DAC) on the 1500 correct? If that is the case, as anyone compared the WM1Z DAC to the Shure? I'd most likely be using the WM1Z 90% of the time, just trying to decide if I want to shell out the extra $.
I know everyone has their own impressions of what sounds good. But....How do the KSE compare to the 846's? Unfortunately I'm unable to demo them, of course I can return them via online, but I'm trying to avoid that. Cheers!

What are you guys using for digital out (portable use) I have a Dock for home, but If I go portable I'd like get a short WM1Z to OTG cable if possible. I also have the WMC-NWH10 digital out cable, I was hoping for something a bit more streamlined like a WM1Z to OTG cable but I'm not sure where to look. Cheers!

*Update*
I had a demo set of 846's, they also presented the same sonic issue via balanced 4.4 output out of the WM1Z. I'm picking up a 3.5 to 4.4 adapter today I'm going to see if by using the same ALO REf. 8 cable via the unbalanced 3.5 output exhibits the same issue. To be honest, I'm really, really happy with the 3.5 unbalanced output using the stock cable, especially giving the sonic issues I have with the 846 and balanced. the WM1Z has plenty of power for these low impedance IEM's. I'm using the balanced output with my Focal Clear, they definitely benefit from the higher 250mw output, the 846's do perfectly fine with the 60mw 3.5 output.

As far as balanced vs unbalanced...Well, for me I don't see the advantage. Sure, if I got a cable that is over 13 feet or so sure. ...Headphone transducers are balanced devices. They have two wires. The electrons that flow into one wire must flow out of the other. The current is always balanced. The headphone transducers cannot detect the difference between a single-ended drive and a voltage-balanced drive. The system is balanced with either type of voltage drive, not to mention the amount of "Hype " Sony puts into their balanced 4.4 connection...it's just one of the most basic ways to reject common mode noise? And they make it sound like the greatest innovation in Audio history....ways

I decided to give the 4.4 a shot with the low impedance IEM's because someone gave me a cable.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

_rant over. \,,/

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #19,991 of 22,942
Questions guys. I've been using the 846's for many years now with a Sony WM1Z, I love the paring! I've been looking at the KSE1200 & 1500 From what I can tell the difference between the 2 is the built in digital front end correct (DAC) on the 1500 correct?

That's correct. So the biggest practical differences with the KSE1200 are you wouldn't have a built-in parametric EQ or a digital input. The EQ might not matter (because you might have an EQ on your DAP or not care about EQ), but not having a digital-in reduces the KSE1200's flexibility a bit. For example, KSE1200 wouldn't pair well with something like a newer iPhone, since Apple - in their infinite wisdom greed - decided to scrap the iPhone's analog output altogether. (I guess you could connect the KSE1200's analog-in to the Apple dongle, if you could live with the dongle's reduced dynamic range and not feel like you were being massively ripped off: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/iPh...apter-liefert-schlechteren-Sound-3325932.html). But if you were only ever planning on connecting via your WM1Z analog-out, then you could save yourself some money with the KSE1200.

If that is the case, as anyone compared the WM1Z DAC to the Shure? I'd most likely be using the WM1Z 90% of the time, just trying to decide if I want to shell out the extra $.
I know everyone has their own impressions of what sounds good. But....How do the KSE compare to the 846's? Unfortunately I'm unable to demo them, of course I can return them via online, but I'm trying to avoid that. Cheers!
The KSE1500/1200 is awesome. It's my all-time favorite headphone. You'll hear the difference with the SE846. The SE846 is great, but there's a whole other level of detail in the KSE. But the differences between DACs are way more subtle. I do prefer the Hugo 2 as a DAC, but the differences aren't that large; the KSE DAC is really not that bad. (Some even say they prefer it to their external DACs.) It does have some limitations (it doesn't support 192 kHz), but otherwise, I think you'd struggle to hear a meaningful difference between the KSE1500 DAC and your WM1Z DAC.

What are you guys using for digital out (portable use) I have a Dock for home, but If I go portable I'd like get a short WM1Z to OTG cable if possible. I also have the WMC-NWH10 digital out cable, I was hoping for something a bit more streamlined like a WM1Z to OTG cable but I'm not sure where to look. Cheers!
LG V30 or V40 for the best UI experience or Shanling M0 for ultra-portable. Shanling sell a nice small USB-C to micro-USB OTG cable. But if you're going down the KSE1200 route all that's irrelevant - you'll only need an analog 3.5 mm->3.5 mm or 3.5 mm-> nasty-Sony-proprietary cable.

*Update*
I had a demo set of 846's, they also presented the same sonic issue via balanced 4.4 output out of the WM1Z.

The mystery deepens :) Have you been so unlucky that you've picked up two SE846 that both show the exact same unit variance? Seems unlikely. We also ruled out the cable. We also assumed your hearing was the same in both ears(?). The only thing left is your DAP.

I'm picking up a 3.5 to 4.4 adapter today I'm going to see if by using the same ALO REf. 8 cable via the unbalanced 3.5 output exhibits the same issue. To be honest, I'm really, really happy with the 3.5 unbalanced output using the stock cable, especially giving the sonic issues I have with the 846 and balanced. the WM1Z has plenty of power for these low impedance IEM's. I'm using the balanced output with my Focal Clear, they definitely benefit from the higher 250mw output, the 846's do perfectly fine with the 60mw 3.5 output.

As far as balanced vs unbalanced...Well, for me I don't see the advantage. Sure, if I got a cable that is over 13 feet or so sure. ...Headphone transducers are balanced devices. They have two wires. The electrons that flow into one wire must flow out of the other. The current is always balanced. The headphone transducers cannot detect the difference between a single-ended drive and a voltage-balanced drive. The system is balanced with either type of voltage drive, not to mention the amount of "Hype " Sony puts into their balanced 4.4 connection...it's just one of the most basic ways to reject common mode noise? And they make it sound like the greatest innovation in Audio history....ways

I decided to give the 4.4 a shot with the low impedance IEM's because someone gave me a cable.

I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

_rant over. \,,/

You are seeing the light about balanced cables :wink: In theory it's a cheaper way to get more power and better channel separation, and (over a long-enough run) cancel our RFI effects in the cable, but yes, I completely agree with you. I've yet to find a balanced output source that beats any of the specs of my single-ended Hugo 2 output.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #19,992 of 22,942
That's correct. So the biggest practical differences with the KSE1200 are you wouldn't have a built-in parametric EQ or a digital input. The EQ might not matter (because you might have an EQ on your DAP or not care about EQ), but not having a digital-in reduces the KSE1200's flexibility a bit. For example, KSE1200 wouldn't pair well with something like a newer iPhone, since Apple - in their infinite wisdom greed - decided to scrap the iPhone's analog output altogether. (I guess you could connect the KSE1200's analog-in to the Apple dongle, if you could live with the dongle's reduced dynamic range and not feel like you were being massively ripped off: https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/iPh...apter-liefert-schlechteren-Sound-3325932.html). But if you were only ever planning on connecting via your WM1Z analog-out, then you could save yourself some money with the KSE1200.

The KSE1500/1200 is awesome. It's my all-time favorite headphone. You'll hear the difference with the SE846. The SE846 is great, but there's a whole other level of detail in the KSE. But the differences between DACs are way more subtle. I do prefer the Hugo 2 as a DAC, but the differences aren't that large; the KSE DAC is really not that bad. (Some even say they prefer it to their external DACs.) It does have some limitations (it doesn't support 192 kHz), but otherwise, I think you'd struggle to hear a meaningful difference between the KSE1500 DAC and your WM1Z DAC.

LG V30 or V40 for the best UI experience or Shanling M0 for ultra-portable. Shanling sell a nice small USB-C to micro-USB OTG cable. But if you're going down the KSE1200 route all that's irrelevant - you'll only need an analog 3.5 mm->3.5 mm or 3.5 mm-> nasty-Sony-proprietary cable.

The mystery deepens :) Have you been so unlucky that you've picked up two SE846 that both show the exact same unit variance? Seems unlikely. We also ruled out the cable. We also assumed your hearing was the same in both ears(?). The only thing left is your DAP.

You are seeing the light about balanced cables :wink: In theory it's a cheaper way to get more power and better channel separation, and (over a long-enough run) cancel our RFI effects in the cable, but yes, I completely agree with you. I've yet to find a balanced output source that beats any of the specs of my single-ended Hugo 2 output.

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #19,993 of 22,942
Ok, so after using the same ALO reference 8 - 4.4mm cable and a 3.5 to 4.4mm adapter the Shure's (Both pair) sound is normal, as the same with the stock Shure 3.5 cable.
so definitely not the cable.

Being that I can use the same cable and other IEM's (today I used the BGVP DM6) and headphones with the Wm1Z with no sound issues out of 4.4, It has to be the combination of the Shure and Wm1Z.So, I think the DAP can be ruled out....sorta.

Yes. My hearing is fantastic! :wink: (says me) maybe too good since I'm picking up these sound differences / flaws. I'm just going to stick with the stock cable, ALO said they will switch out the 4.4 for a 3.5 I'd just have to pay the 5 dollars to cover shipping, I'd do it myself but they have a machine that mimics the Shure termination also making it more secure. Cheers!

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #19,995 of 22,942

I would have probably picked up a Shure KSE1200 by now if it had detachable cables but seeing as it doesn't, I think that's a bit too much money on a portable device for which I can't replace the cables in case something happens to it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back