Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #19,847 of 22,945
I used a Fiio 2.5mm balanced cable with Pioneer XPD-300R and due to a bad impedance situation between the two it sound pretty lightweight. (zero and I mean zero bottom end) When used with the Fiio X5iii it sounded really nice. Better than the single ended cable? Um, I don't think it was noticeably better. Using the standard comes with it SE cable both machines sound really good. If a 24inch balanced cable makes a noticeable difference in sound quality it hasn't proven itself to me. But what the heck, spend a few bucks and find out. With the stock market crashing and the government shutting down, spend your money while it still has value.

Dec 21, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #19,848 of 22,945
I used a Fiio 2.5mm balanced cable with Pioneer XPD-300R and due to a bad impedance situation between the two it sound pretty lightweight. (zero and I mean zero bottom end) When used with the Fiio X5iii it sounded really nice. Better than the single ended cable? Um, I don't think it was noticeably better. Using the standard comes with it SE cable both machines sound really good. If a 24inch balanced cable makes a noticeable difference in sound quality it hasn't proven itself to me. But what the heck, spend a few bucks and find out. With the stock market crashing and the government shutting down, spend your money while it still has value.

Haha.. well this is why I am being a lot less YOLO than usual lol - I am seeing a few people rave about ****.. its about half the price of the RHA one, shall read more before pulling the trigger :)

Dec 21, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #19,849 of 22,945
I've see a couple comparisons online.

https://www.headphonezone.in/blogs/buying-guide/shure-se846-vs-campfire-audio-andromeda

Personally I prefer the 846's over the Andros. I actually don't like the white filter at all, I feel it gives you more brightness and sparkle, from my brief experiences the highs are harsh and hurt my ears. I prefer the blue and black.

I do own the Andros, they are great IEM's and yes they have more sparkle and more reviling than the 846's, although I think they lack in mids and sub bass, both at which the 846's excel! Also, I can't wear the Andro's for very long they are fatiguing - comfort wise. Again, this is strictly my opinion, other may totally disagree. Cheers!

I haven't heard the Andros yet, but I have played around with the filters quite a bit. The white filter, to my ears, doesn't fix the lack of top-end sparkle. It adds a lot of upper-mids and lower treble, but I never thought they were missing from the SE-846. The closest I've found is the Trishd mod.

Yeah, I think it's because the filters roll up starting at like 3-5k (don't have a graph in front of me) To be honest, I've owned many Shure products, started with the first E5 like back in 2000, I've owned most of the e5 series since, also a few 215's for on the go phone IEM's. Shures have always excelled in mids, because they were first introduced as live performance IEM's and tailored for vocalist, all the pairs I've owned including the 846's have a bit of a "veiled" sound, it's just the "Shure" sound. I do feel the SE535's are the brightest model they made but lacked in low end...nothing that EQ couldn't fix though. I personally feel the 846's are a great fit for me, they are not the best at everything,,,I haven't demoed anything that is though, that's we we audiophile types spend too much money on gear...Options. :) Cheers!

Thanks for the info guys!

Dec 23, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #19,850 of 22,945
Just wanna throw in my 0.2 cents about the Knowles filters. Rocking the brown ones and wow are the 846's more aggressive, more of a V shape going on. A lot of roll-off after 10k tho... I'm not sure if I'm a fan.

I've been using the modded blue filters for 4 years, and I've left the foamies in Australia... Also they only came with one foam insert too. I'm interested in trying out the trishd mod, is it possible to steal the foamies from the other filters? I have a really old model so the original one only came with one piece in the blue anyways.

Dec 25, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #19,852 of 22,945
Dec 26, 2018 at 4:30 AM Post #19,854 of 22,945
Guys,

I've just become aware that the high impedance on my AK70 could be hampering the sound on the SE846, which new DAP would you suggest I go with?
Thanks in advance.

Two great suggestions, or perhaps you could keep the AK70 and get an EarStudio ES100 and go Bluetooth. I believe the AK70 has aptx so the sound quality should be good.

Dec 26, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #19,857 of 22,945
@moedawg140 had snugs (and a bunch of other custom tips) for his Andros, but I don't think he ever found the sweet spot with those. Maybe he can comment...?

The problem with all these custom tips is they change the sound. (The longer bore length drops the resonant frequencies.) Maybe you'll like the sound, but there's also a risk you won't, and there's no getting your money back on these custom products. Good luck and let us know how they work out!
@csglinux is spot on here. I tried for over a year to find the best tips (eartips, custom, et cetera) to no avail. Out of all that I’ve tried, my current favorite tips are the Penon Audio Gray Red Eartips - size Large (comes in a three-size pack). The hyperlinks for the eartips and other custom tips that I used are in my review if you check out my profile.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone! (be thankful for your life!)

Dec 26, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #19,858 of 22,945
Just compared the SE846 with the Campfire Andromeda's. The result is just as expected for SE846 lovers, myself included. The Andromeda's have huge sound stage, wonderful high's and great sound overall. (I almost forgot what cymbals sounded like until the Andromeda's). But, the SE846 is more pleasurable for casual listening. Andromeda's win when I want to enjoy, see, feel and/or analyze the music. The SE846 wins when I don't want to think and just want to feel the music.

Dec 26, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #19,859 of 22,945
So, I got a bit overwhelmed by choices, and all paths were leading back to the Chord Mojo.. with AK70 as transport. So I decided to pull the trigger on the Chord Mojo AGAIN.. I did have one before I upgraded to the Qutest.
So obviously the Chord Mojo hasn't had much chance to warm up, its brand new. It still sounds vastly superior to the amp on the AK70. It sounds like a veil has been lifted off the music.

I am not sure how much of it is to do with the Independence output, and how much of it is to do with the Mojo being what it is. I am very happy with it. The subtle details being unveiled are just astounding. What beautiful pair of IEMs these are.
I was intending on getting the NW-WM1A but for now this will do. I might still go down the WM1A/Z route, but for now I can live with this.

Thanks for the update on the Andromeda's I did have them short listed, but I am going to be using this portable set up in work for long periods of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back