Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #19,877 of 22,943
Nothing, for me, is as good as the Sony silicone tips. The more spherical tips like those from RHA, or even Shure's own silicone tips are good, but the slightest bit of movement pops them out from their insertion depth, and I like to listen while lying down a lot. Don't get this behaviour with the Sonys!

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #19,881 of 22,943
I listened to all the chatter about CIEMs being the best of the best of the best. I bought and sold my CIEMs quickly and still love my olives. I think some of you kids fool yourself about some of this. Enjoy the never ending search.

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #19,882 of 22,943
I listened to all the chatter about CIEMs being the best of the best of the best. I bought and sold my CIEMs quickly and still love my olives. I think some of you kids fool yourself about some of this. Enjoy the never ending search.

question if you don't mind. Have you tried SE846 with your phone s8? I'm looking into buying it for cheap but don't know how well it pairs with Shure.

also, I thought olives or foam make 10k roll-off? I'm not technically knowledgeable, but I do hear a lot less treble even with blue mod or white filter (tried with stock olives and comply comfort, isolation, and also the P series). Still deciding between Symbios or Spinfit and my compulsive self doesn't want to settle for either comfort or isolation...I want BOTH

Dec 30, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #19,883 of 22,943
What is ciem?

A custom in ear monitor ? That’s different from just changing your ear tips to other off the shelf ear tips ?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #19,884 of 22,943
question if you don't mind. Have you tried SE846 with your phone s8? I'm looking into buying it for cheap but don't know how well it pairs with Shure.

also, I thought olives or foam make 10k roll-off? I'm not technically knowledgeable, but I do hear a lot less treble even with blue mod or white filter (tried with stock olives and comply comfort, isolation, and also the P series). Still deciding between Symbios or Spinfit and my compulsive self doesn't want to settle for either comfort or isolation...I want BOTH

I think the 846 sounds great with the S8. The S8 doesn't have a lot of juice but it does have enough for the 846.
I have tried Spinfits etc and the Olives are my faves. The fact that they can stay in my ears all day and do the best job blocking out external noise seals the deal. (for me)
Custom In Ear Monitors (CIEM)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #19,885 of 22,943
I assume the olives are foam tips. I've tried various foams and, although they may isolate better, I feel a loss of staging, compared to the silicone tips. I found the spinfits work best on my Shures, and the spiral dots for my Angies...FWIW.

Dec 30, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #19,886 of 22,943
I assume the olives are foam tips. I've tried various foams and, although they may isolate better, I feel a loss of staging, compared to the silicone tips. I found the spinfits work best on my Shures, and the spiral dots for my Angies...FWIW.

The loss of staging is probably due to the foam ones being inserted further into your ears.

Dec 30, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #19,887 of 22,943
The loss of staging is probably due to the foam ones being inserted further into your ears.
Hadn't thought o' that. I just figured the foams were obsorbing too many highs and decreasing the special cues from the music. Which ever IEM I used, they just sounded dull and flat.
Oh, and thanks for that Tyll's back link. I think my preferences differ from his, but that man's got a lot of knowledge in him.

Dec 31, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #19,888 of 22,943

The truth as ever is in between. For those that had a great experience with ciems nothing else would compare. There are those of us (me included :frowning2: ) that have had nothing but hassle with them yet still try as apparently "nothing beats ciems". The reality check for me was when one member mentioned he went to 10 (!) different audiologists and never did get a good fit so gave up. Would I like ciems? Hell yes, do ciems fit me (despite going to two audiologists) Hell no :frowning2: Really should give up but always hope that this time could be the one. It doesn't help that I never seem to get a good fit with iems, particularly on the right ear. Small is too small and medium up start to hurt after a while, which is where the interest in ciems came from in the first place.

Dec 31, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #19,889 of 22,943
For me fit wasn't an issue, isolation was. The hollow, hard acrylic shell did not do the job.

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #19,890 of 22,943
Hello,
Is it crazy comparing the Se846 to the Hd800? I have now $1000 and want to have a new hi-end headphones. I cannot bear the weight from my LCD-2 anymore (though I love their sound).
I had many sub-$500 iem such as the Sony Ex1000, the Fischer DBA-02,, but nothing sounded like the LCD-2 in term of quality.
Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back