Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Aug 31, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #2,011 of 3,218
Great to finally see activity on this thread. Congrats Anak on your purchase of the 846, didn't see you mention before that you bought one. Looking forward to see your review on it.

@Jelt,
There isn't exactly much choices (of sound signature) at this price range. The IE800 and K3003 as mentioned before have terrible sibliance and a tiresome sound respectively. The only strong competitor I see for the 846 in my honest opinion in this price range, excluding CIEMs, would be the FitEar Paterre.

If were not for the significant price gap of the Paterre and 846, I might have gave the Paterre a go.

Now back to the 846.
After using them for a while, I honestly feel that a product of such high price should have a sense of (class?). The 846 is definitely well built and real solid but it just isn't as exquisite, as good to look at as the K3003 or IE800. To you hardcore "only-sound-matters" people won't really care but for 4 digits, I would not mind something more unique rather than just electronics I'm a plastic bulge. (Sound's still number 1 and that has let the negatives slide)

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #2,012 of 3,218
Quote:
@Jelt,
There isn't exactly much choices (of sound signature) at this price range. The IE800 and K3003 as mentioned before have terrible sibliance and a tiresome sound respectively. The only strong competitor I see for the 846 in my honest opinion in this price range, excluding CIEMs, would be the FitEar Paterre.

Yes, the K3003 is, among other things, a serious sibilance monster. Absolutely!

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,013 of 3,218
@Jelt,

Yes, the K3003 is, among other things, a serious sibilance monster. Absolutely!

Try the IE800 and you will jump off the face of the earth, it's sibliance is even worst then the K3003. Dun even mention their fit and isolation which is not just a class but several classes below the SE846.

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #2,014 of 3,218
Quote:
Try the IE800 and you will jump off the face of the earth, it's sibliance is even worst then the K3003. Dun even mention their fit and isolation which is not just a class but several classes below the SE846.

I have owned the K3003 for 1 year and 8 months. I owned the IE800 for about 5 months (sold them a few months ago).

Aug 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #2,015 of 3,218
I have owned the K3003 for 1 year and 8 months. I owned the IE800 for about 5 months (sold them a few months ago).

Not surprising. I wasn't exactly charmed by the 846 but I definitely like it much better than IE800. Never got a good fit to hear the IE800 as it probably is intended to be heard.

Anak congratz. Let me know you like it with the 901.

Aug 31, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #2,016 of 3,218
I sold my IE80s here on the forum as my SE846s were incoming. TBH I prefer my IE80 to both the 846 and the 800. It's moot as my 846 had the "crackling" at the cable junction and the left bud is now dead. I used to live down the street from Shure's HQ but will have to send them back. I would rate the bass on par with the IE80 with the bass at zero. They did sound great but not worth the hassle as the fit of the IE80 is near-perfect for me with the Tx500 large.

IMO the IE80s are much better suited to my favorite genres; EDM, trance, etc. I bit the bullet and bought another pair of IE80 at retail. The 846 fit was fine, but I couldn't go more more that an hour w/o pulling them out due to pain. The 800s are too dry for me but my wife loves them. The cable length and microphonics were maddening, but a perfect over-ear fit for my wife who is 5'6". I think I need "fatter" more fleshed out sound. I am content with my (4th pair!) of IE80. I only use IEMs on the go with Spotify and my Galaxy S4.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #2,017 of 3,218
I think the SE846 looks much better than both the IE800s and 3003 (not to mention much better ergonomically). The straight bodies of those look rather plain, and the IE800 is just too small.

Aug 31, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #2,018 of 3,218
I think the SE846 looks much better than both the IE800s and 3003 (not to mention much better ergonomically). The straight bodies of those look rather plain, and the IE800 is just too small.

Ergonomics aside, neither the IE800 not the 3003i have replaceable cables all the way to the IEM so balanced cables were not going to work without cracking open the IEM. Also, the IE800 has stupid proprietary eartips. If you could not get a good fit you were out of luck barring DIY modification (I cannot speak about the 3003i as I have no knowledge of its eartips). I compliment Shure on not going down the same proprietary road and allowing owners to easily upgrade or modify the stock 846. I am hoping if the 846 is a success, third party companies will make other filters for the 846 to allow further customized sound signature beyond the stock three.

Aug 31, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2,019 of 3,218
I sold my IE80s here on the forum as my SE846s were incoming. TBH I prefer my IE80 to both the 846 and the 800. It's moot as my 846 had the "crackling" at the cable junction and the left bud is now dead. I used to live down the street from Shure's HQ but will have to send them back. I would rate the bass on par with the IE80 with the bass at zero. They did sound great but not worth the hassle as the fit of the IE80 is near-perfect for me with the Tx500 large.

IMO the IE80s are much better suited to my favorite genres; EDM, trance, etc. I bit the bullet and bought another pair of IE80 at retail. The 846 fit was fine, but I couldn't go more more that an hour w/o pulling them out due to pain. The 800s are too dry for me but my wife loves them. The cable length and microphonics were maddening, but a perfect over-ear fit for my wife who is 5'6". I think I need "fatter" more fleshed out sound. I am content with my (4th pair!) of IE80. I only use IEMs on the go with Spotify and my Galaxy S4.

Dang, I have new in box IE80's for sale since I got the 846! PM if it interests you... If you can return yours, I'd sell mine 300$, priced to go.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Aug 31, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #2,021 of 3,218
@Anakchan: what!!?? Last time I know you're curious about the 846 and now I see unboxing pics! Good for you :).

I am still waiting to receive a phone call from Fujiya Avic, nothing in sight... Where did you get yours from? You priviledged :wink:.

Looking forward to your impressions, pay attention to the amp pairing due to low Z...

Arnaud

Aug 31, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #2,022 of 3,218
Arnaud,

I'm kind of a sucker for unobtaniums :p. I actually did get mine from Fujiya. They twittered last afternoon that they had one in stock - a cancelled pre-order. So I quickly called to reserve it & picked it up last night.

Weird that they didn't offer it to the next pre-order in-line though.

Anyway I've yet to try it as it's still boxed up. I'll ping you off-line about the amp pairing to get your thoughts.

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #2,023 of 3,218
Quote:
 Is it worth upgrading from the Shure SE535 to the Shure SE846? 

Yea, that's the $64,000 question.  Or actually the $600 (upgrade) question.

One thing that really questions the reviews is whether EQ is being used or not because Shure IEM's respond REALLY well to EQ.

I would LOVE a pair of SE846.  I'm sure they are awesome!

But right now my set up is SE535 +UM56 tips + Ibasso T3 analog on gain 4 setting (+10dB) with Ipod Classic on "Rock" setting.

I get ZERO distortion but exceptional clarity, slammin bass and a very complete full sound with a spacious soundstage.  No ********.  IT sounds frickin awesome.  Hands down better than UM3X, W4, W3, UE900 and UM3X.... but if I could back off the midrange about 25% it would truly be perfect.  

I am just wondering where SE846 kills this set-up?  Or if it does at all?  

My personal opinion is that if people are against EQ they will love the SE846.  It EQ and amping to mold your sound is an option, then the SE535 may get very close SQ-wise.

Aug 31, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #2,024 of 3,218
Quote:

Perhaps this is the case for you, but I it sound a bit like hyperbole.
To quote Tyll Hertsens who is very sensitive to sibilance:
"They're a tad bright for me (which means they're probably just right for most), but are not harsh sounding. (I liked them WAY more then the AKG K3003.)"

As someone who listened to both I found the K3003 harsher for sure.

Aug 31, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #2,025 of 3,218
Arnaud,

I'm kind of a sucker for unobtaniums :p. I actually did get mine from Fujiya. They twittered last afternoon that they had one in stock - a cancelled pre-order. So I quickly called to reserve it & picked it up last night.

Weird that they didn't offer it to the next pre-order in-line though.

Anyway I've yet to try it as it's still boxed up. I'll ping you off-line about the amp pairing to get your thoughts.

To be honest, their pre-order list isn't real I think. I think if one calls them every day for a week one probably is getting them early... I haven't been following up so I guess that's where we are. Was planning to give them a call so you've got me motivated :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back