Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Sep 1, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #2,041 of 3,218
Unfortunately, many people who speak about phones just spent a few minutes in a shop with them (not always in a quiet environment), listened to a few of their favourite tracks and then come and post their impressions. They often sound as if they really know the IEMs they're discussing (this goes both ways, the raving and the trashing) and rarely speak of the gear they used, the music they tested and the amount of time auditioning the IEMs and the conditions under said audition. Add to that not being able to try different tips...

This I agree wholeheartedly with. A generalist forum in Singapore had a guy declaring passionately after auditioning the shures for all of TEN SECONDS in meet conditions that, to his golden ears, these were the joke of 2013. It is perfectly normal for people to have different preferences, but ten seconds in meet conditions... Wow. I raised my concerns about this there too but nobody else seemed to think that this was a less than ideal way to audition. Ah well.

For what it's worth I've had these now about a month, listening daily, and I continue to love them a lot. So far my Favourite combination is 801-> portaphile 627 -> silver cable -> shure se846 with balanced filter. The shures seem to be very source dependent. They really change and show the different characters of each source/ amp I own, much more than a few of my other iems.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #2,042 of 3,218
Quote:
And you have. A certain member has been banned from this thread.

A real shame indeed although I do understand why you did it. Was just getting to some good parts though.....someone could have mentioned the fact that a lot of rock bands playing live with their expensive 'gear' (supplied by sponsors) but if you check them out in the recording studio you'll find a 40 year old Marshall amp with a Strat to get their signature tone. Aaaaaah....but I digress. And it seems I missed the train. Back to regular gear talk folks. 

Let us know what amp you are using with the SE846. And end with a smiley face to end the post for safety reasons. 
smile.gif
 And I'm done.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #2,043 of 3,218
I am using an RSA Protector amp with balanced OCC silver cables. It really allows the 846s to shine. The bass is tighter and the clarity and PRat are great.

Initially, I felt the combination made the 846s a touch too dark but upon "burn in" the 846/Protector combination to me is perfect.

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #2,044 of 3,218
I am using a Alo Audio National Amp, it increases bass weight and impact, while shelving the highs abit.

I'm also using a mid-focused cable, the Null Audio Arete (not sure what's the material used, but it tightens the bass compared to the stock cable).

As of now, my preferred filter is the balanced filter. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #2,045 of 3,218
Quote:
To be honest, their pre-order list isn't real I think. I think if one calls them every day for a week one probably is getting them early... I haven't been following up so I guess that's where we are. Was planning to give them a call so you've got me motivated
wink.gif

And I will be eating my words... Called today and looks like it's waiting for me at the store, youhouuu!

Probably gonna pick it up tomorrow after work ...

Sep 1, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,046 of 3,218
And I will be eating my words... Called today and looks like it's waiting for me at the store, youhouuu!

Sweet! Glad to see that others are finally getting them.

Sep 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #2,048 of 3,218
Quote:

Félicitations! 
ksc75smile.gif

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #2,049 of 3,218
I'm new to this thread. I'm hearing the bass is more visceral and punchy than se535 and even jh13 and vocals more smooth, thick, and lush. One review said the se535 sounds pichy and se846 husky.
It's sounding like to me, from what others have said that the se846 sounds like LCD-2 rev. 1. Can anyone who has both LCD-2 and se846 elaborate?
Or what full sound headphone sounds like the se846?

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #2,050 of 3,218
I'm new to this thread. I'm hearing the bass is more visceral and punchy than se535 and even jh13 and vocals more smooth, thick, and lush. One review said the se535 sounds pichy and se846 husky.
It's sounding like to me, from what others have said that the se846 sounds like LCD-2 rev. 1. Can anyone who has both LCD-2 and se846 elaborate?
Or what full sound headphone sounds like the se846?

On the other thread I replied to you saying I think the SE846 is more accurate and resolved than the LCD2. I find its sound sig more in line with the LCD3

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 1, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2,052 of 3,218
Quote:
On the other thread I replied to you saying I think the SE846 is more accurate and resolved than the LCD2. I find its sound sig more in line with the LCD3

If this is true, then I definitely need to pick up a set eventually.  I've been pretty happy with the fitear TG334 and the Parterre thus far for my recent IEM upgrade....but if these have a closer sig to the LCD3, count me in.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #2,053 of 3,218

I didn't hear them that way else I wouldn't have cancelled my 846 pre-order after the advanced demo as I love my lcd3. To me the 846 reminds me more of the d7100. Maybe I should get an extended loaner and fiddle with all the filters and tips to get this lcd3 sound you are getting as it was not even close for me.

Sep 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,054 of 3,218
I didn't hear them that way else I wouldn't have cancelled my 846 pre-order after the advanced demo as I love my lcd3. To me the 846 reminds me more of the d7100. Maybe I should get an extended loaner and fiddle with all the filters and tips to get this lcd3 sound you are getting as it was not even close for me.

Wow, We sure hear things differently!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back