Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Sep 6, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #2,071 of 3,218
I'm not saying it's better, but the frequency response is comparable to the LCD's and the graphs kinf of relate to that now too. I do find the 846 faster than the LCD2's, doesn't mean it's better per se.

I understand. I can definitely see an iem being faster than the LCD's. Glad you're enjoying it and you could certainly do much worse than the LCD's FR.

I was commenting mostly in response to the repeated assertions (not just here but all over the place) that iem X is better than the HD800, LCD's, etc... I just personally cannot see it. The timbral qualities, macro dynamic shifts (volume contrasts), ambient cues and palpable attack are all important areas that an iem, any iem, is just handicapped in comparatively. They of course can be great, but mostly stemming from a great-sound-anywhere convenience factor but not from my experience relative to what a desktop setup brings. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #2,072 of 3,218
I'm not saying it's better, but the frequency response is comparable to the LCD's and the graphs kinf of relate to that now too. I do find the 846 faster than the LCD2's, doesn't mean it's better per se.

I understand. I can definitely see an iem being faster than the LCD's. Glad you're enjoying it and you could certainly do much worse than the LCD's FR.

I was commenting mostly in response to the repeated assertions (not just here but all over the place) that iem X is better than the HD800, LCD's, etc... I just personally cannot see it. The timbral qualities, macro dynamic shifts (volume contrasts), ambient cues and palpable attack are all important areas that an iem, any iem, is just handicapped in comparatively. They of course can be great, but mostly stemming from a great-sound-anywhere convenience factor but not from my experience relative to what a desktop setup brings. 

Well neither can beat good pair of speakers with a decent amp, source and a well treated room, can it? It's all about the application. Try using the LCD-2s outside, the 846 will naturally be the preferred choice.

No point comparing a headphone with a earphone. If one were to buy a earphone, it wouldn't be for home listening, unless he/she is using it at home and out. In that case, his hands are tied too cuz he ain't got any choice.

So impressions and comparisons to other appropriate products (though sound signature references to headphones are pretty useful too) however in certain technicalities, it doesn't take a genius to know a headphone is better, no need to stress your point with multiple posts.

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #2,073 of 3,218
Based on the frequency plots:
Shure SE846 = V-shape / Warm
Shure SE535 = neutral with a slight bump on the mid

Is this right?

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #2,076 of 3,218
Good news everyone (!)  Advancedmp3players will have the shure 846 in stock soon.  For £949!!!

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #2,077 of 3,218
Good news everyone (!)  Advancedmp3players will have the shure 846 in stock soon.  For £949!!!

I admit this is off topic but why do Eurpoeans put up with a 50% VAT. It is not like your income taxes are low to compensate. At current exchange rates 949 GBP is almost 50% more than I paid Earphone Solutions last week. In both cases the SE846 was manufactured in China so shipping is a push.

I would be marching on Washington DC with a pitchfork and torch to burn it down if someone proposed a VAT in the US. Remember the proposal to begin taxing Internet sales is dead on arrival in the House of Representatives. Thank God for Madison and Hamilton and Article I Section 7 of the US Constitution.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2,078 of 3,218

£949 ($1,485 USD)? God, that's a bargain! I'd been thinking all along they'd retail for £950 or £999, in which case I'd have thought they'd be a total rip-off. For £949 I think I might as well get two pairs.

Sep 6, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,080 of 3,218
Music ignore the comment by someone who does not appreciate your sarcasm. Thank you for your always amusing posts. Most people take themselves far too seriously.

:)

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #2,081 of 3,218
Udauda: isn't the frequency axis of the first graph comparing the 846 and 535 messed up?

I say this because if I was to trust it, I'd need to convince myself the 846 doesn't produce sound above 7kHz... :wink:

It looks to be going up in increments of 2000 for each line after 2k.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #2,082 of 3,218
It looks to be going up in increments of 2000 for each line after 2k.

Yep, so I though I know what a log scale was but I stand corrected! 
redface.gif
. It's such a weird setting, it's a 2 base so the lines go like

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #2,083 of 3,218
So if the SE846 is V shaped, I added a mid centric cable, with a dark and Bassy (\--) amp so it comes a neutral earphone with bass boost? However I find the bass still not to overwhelming, maybe even ever so slightly underwhelming on some electronic tracks.

Sep 6, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #2,084 of 3,218
So if the SE846 is V shaped, I added a mid centric cable, with a dark and Bassy (\--) amp so it comes a neutral earphone with bass boost? However I find the bass still not to overwhelming, maybe even ever so slightly underwhelming on some electronic tracks.

Myap,

I have a similar setup (silver balanced cables and the RSA Protector amp) and I agree with your observations. I have found the underwhelming bass on some songs is a function of the recording not the 846s. No artificial bass but I do find myself listning to more bass centric recordings (Porcupine Tree) just to enjoy the subwoofer of the 846s.

Sep 6, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #2,085 of 3,218
Looking at the chart is interesting, I always felt that the warm and the balanced filters were quite close with just a tad more warmth on the former, with the bright sounding much more different. Since I love the balanced sound, I could see myself using warm, but not bright.

So is it just me, or does the chart show that warm and balanced are indeed very similar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back