Shure SE846: A New In-Ear Flagship From Shure. Finally! (Impressions p26-28)
Sep 2, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #2,056 of 3,218
Quote:
I didn't hear them that way else I wouldn't have cancelled my 846 pre-order after the advanced demo as I love my lcd3. To me the 846 reminds me more of the d7100. Maybe I should get an extended loaner and fiddle with all the filters and tips to get this lcd3 sound you are getting as it was not even close for me.

The SE846 provides a more distinct sense of space as I find it images better than the 334's. It's not quite as thick as the 334 as well. Both are great iem's, but I prefer the Shure's customizable options and the fit is superior for my ears. I'd place the 846 anywhere between the LCD3-LCD2.2. It's really the speed that makes me incline towards the LCD3 as every instrument is well defined whereas the LCD2 is somewhat more like being enclosed in a hall between two walls of sound.
Quote:

If this is true, then I definitely need to pick up a set eventually.  I've been pretty happy with the fitear TG334 and the Parterre thus far for my recent IEM upgrade....but if these have a closer sig to the LCD3, count me in.

I say give it a try. I only tried my friend's 334! twice, and I'd say it's darker than both the LCD3 and 846; but it's still top notch! I recommend you try them out before spending your money because of what I've said!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #2,057 of 3,218
Im running my 846's out of a RSA Shadow amp, from LOD on a Sony F series Walkman(Neutron music player).  I find that with the balanced filter in, and through the amp, I get a very smooth, spacious neutral sound.  No frequency seems to overpower another, unless I start fiddling with the EQ.  I don't see myself changing this setup for quite some time.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #2,058 of 3,218
Sorry but this talk of an iem ousting a solid flagship is crazy imo. LCD's are hardly my favorite headphone but driven by a Dynahi or Beta even it far surpasses any of my 3 customs and certainly every universal I've heard. Greater dynamics (especially in the macro sense), more resolving, far more holographic all the common advantages of a full size flagship over in ears. Wish it wasn't so as I use iems very often, but the tradeoffs are substantial to say the least.

Sep 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #2,059 of 3,218
Sorry but this talk of an iem ousting a solid flagship is crazy imo. LCD's are hardly my favorite headphone but driven by a Dynahi or Beta even it far surpasses any of my 3 customs and certainly every universal I've heard. Greater dynamics (especially in the macro sense), more resolving, far more holographic all the common advantages of a full size flagship over in ears. Wish it wasn't so as I use iems very often, but the tradeoffs are substantial to say the least.
Yep as you say it is your opinion.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #2,060 of 3,218
As ever, anything I say is in my opinion. I do have a fairly good frame of reference, but hardly looking to convert anyone.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #2,061 of 3,218
music_4321, 

Would you please tone down on your sarcasm. Not everyone in the world has the time and/or linguistic dexterity to manoeuvre through all that, especially on an online platform discussing personal opinions regarding a technical subject.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #2,062 of 3,218
At last, frequency response data of SE846 from myself, in collaboration with SEEKO. Measured with B&K 4157 (IEC 60318-4) occluded ear simulator at the reference plane:

As you can tell, the effect of the extra woofer can be well-observed in the low frequency range. SE846's treble extension.. is, unfortunately, as good as that of SE420, if not worse.

And here's a comparison between each filters, compensated with a conventional diffuse-field reference on the left, and with Harman's reference target on the right.

Sep 6, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #2,063 of 3,218
At last, frequency response data of SE846 from myself, in collaboration with SEEKO.

Thanks for sharing these. I think they do collaborate with what I heard.

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #2,064 of 3,218
Nice ! I love me my sub bass :) this also shows what I hear- a beautiful sub bass + mids centric phone.

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #2,065 of 3,218
Udauda: isn't the frequency axis of the first graph comparing the 846 and 535 messed up?

I say this because if I was to trust it, I'd need to convince myself the 846 doesn't produce sound above 7kHz... :wink:

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #2,066 of 3,218
Also, how many hours was it run in prior to measurement? I can audibly hear a reduction in LF volume every day (running pink noise overnight). I feel like it went a good 3dB down from the first evening (probably ran it for something like 50 hours so far).

Sep 6, 2013 at 7:53 AM Post #2,067 of 3,218
Udauda: isn't the frequency axis of the first graph comparing the 846 and 535 messed up?

I say this because if I was to trust it, I'd need to convince myself the 846 doesn't produce sound above 7kHz...
wink.gif

No, it's a log scale, so people have to remember they're not seeing 1000 Hz increments. Rin should probably change them to a 10-100000 graph (and just clip to 20-20000) to make the intervals regular so that people can read it instantly.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM Post #2,068 of 3,218
No, it's a log scale, so people have to remember they're not seeing 1000 Hz increments. Rin should probably change them to a 10-100000 graph (and just clip to 20-20000) to make the intervals regular so that people can read it instantly.

I know what's log scale alright, please :). The 2 base is indeed weird setting, but count for yourself, the 10kHz actual roll lines up on the 7kHz line for this graph.

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,069 of 3,218

I'm not saying it's better, but the frequency response is comparable to the LCD's and the graphs kinf of relate to that now too. I do find the 846 faster than the LCD2's, doesn't mean it's better per se.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #2,070 of 3,218
  music_4321, 

Would you please tone down on your sarcasm. Not everyone in the world has the time and/or linguistic dexterity to manoeuvre through all that, especially on an online platform discussing personal opinions regarding a technical subject.

Some of us happen to enjoy the sarcasm... along with the wisdom behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back