Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #2,401 of 4,022
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Sound quality is def unscathed, its just gunk getting into it is really annoying..though if you guys every have a problem, try a q-tip by thinning out the tip, and gently swabbing the inside, it tends to do the trick!

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #2,403 of 4,022
Quote:
As far as the clear cable discoloring over time?  I highly doubt it.  The clear is more of a hazy greyish/amber color and has a somewhat rough tactile feeling to it.  In addition it has the bendable re-inforcement over the ear sheathing to keep the IEM's in place.  

Having used mine extensively for over a year before moving to a set of DHCs, my clear cables absolutely discolored and turned quite green near the ear.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #2,404 of 4,022
Quote:
I bought some Shure 535s, a year or so ago.  I'm very happy with them:

- great sound
- strong construction
- thick, strong cables
- comfortable
- block outside noise

They were expensive, but I do not regret the purchase, that's for sure!

yup! like they say 'best' sound is what you prefer

Dec 26, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #2,405 of 4,022
has anyone experienced loose connections after awhile between the cable and earphone?  One side is cutting out randomly when my cables wiggle.  When pulled apart it seems like there is a lot of dark oil in there - I'm wondering if it's a loose connection that is corroding?

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,406 of 4,022
Quote:
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Sound quality is def unscathed, its just gunk getting into it is really annoying..though if you guys every have a problem, try a q-tip by thinning out the tip, and gently swabbing the inside, it tends to do the trick!

Agreed.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Dec 26, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #2,407 of 4,022
Quote:
has anyone experienced loose connections after awhile between the cable and earphone?  One side is cutting out randomly when my cables wiggle.  When pulled apart it seems like there is a lot of dark oil in there - I'm wondering if it's a loose connection that is corroding?

Yes, had that with 2 out of 2 pairs I owned.  I am not an engineer but it's an undeniable terrible design.  Think about it.....if the connector can "swivel" that means there is open space and air that allows the movement which is an invitation for moisture and corrosion to happen. You want the damn connection fixed and sealed airtight! 

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #2,408 of 4,022
like others...ive experienced the same thing on occasion...cleaning the connectors well takes care of it...

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2,409 of 4,022
Quote:
Yes, had that with 2 out of 2 pairs I owned.  I am not an engineer but it's an undeniable terrible design.  Think about it.....if the connector can "swivel" that means there is open space and air that allows the movement which is an invitation for moisture and corrosion to happen. You want the damn connection fixed and sealed airtight! 

Quote:
like others...ive experienced the same thing on occasion...cleaning the connectors well takes care of it...

Thanks.  I've tried cleaning the inside of the earphone connection but it's tiny.  Any suggestions on how to get all that out of there?

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #2,410 of 4,022
so I think I figured out the issue.  The small post inside the earphone that has a recepticle hole in it is broken.  There is only half remaining.  I don't know how it got like that, and I don't know what to do.  Can Shure fix that?  I don't want to be out $500 :frowning2:

Dec 27, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #2,411 of 4,022
Quote:
so I think I figured out the issue.  The small post inside the earphone that has a recepticle hole in it is broken.  There is only half remaining.  I don't know how it got like that, and I don't know what to do.  Can Shure fix that?  I don't want to be out $500 :frowning2:

If it's within the warranty period, and you purchased from a genuine Shure approved reseller, they should replace.  In my personal experience, their warranty follow ups (with the agent I use in NZ) have been very good.  Contact your Shure rep from your area - and let them talk you through the process.

Dec 28, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #2,412 of 4,022
I bought from Earphone Solutions on 
8/23/10​

So I doubt they're in warranty.  I wonder what the fix would cost.  I am in Chicago, I'll have to check to see where a rep would be.​

edit:  from the Shure sit, I think this is it - ​
SE535 (L/R Earbud) $84.00

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #2,413 of 4,022
Honestly the thing that makes the SE535 worthwhile for me is the noise cancellation. The sound is good - I think I prefer my HD600s on the whole - but for listening to music on a day-to-day basis, the 535's get much more playtime since I can use them at work. 

In comparison to the 600's - that's all I can really say - I would say that the 535 sounds brighter and a lot less bassy. The sound is generally tighter, but the soundstage is much narrower - in fact, I've noticed very little depth of soundstage with these headphones. I also get the feeling that the sound in these headphones is kind of like a pop-up book - the instruments sound like flat pieces layered upon one another. I guess this sounds a bit unnatural to me. The clarity is fabulous, though.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2,414 of 4,022
Quote:
Having used mine extensively for over a year before moving to a set of DHCs, my clear cables absolutely discolored and turned quite green near the ear.

Speaking of cables, I would like to complain about the quality of the replacement cables Shure sells for use with a phone. It has a microphone on the cable, you know the style. The build quality is just terrible - I had this cable go out twice before I just gave up, stopped replacing it and went back to the stock factory cable. That said, the factory cable is too thick at the jack to fit my phone with the case on, but that's just a personal problem. Otherwise I think the construction is quite sturdy.

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #2,415 of 4,022
Quote:
Speaking of cables, I would like to complain about the quality of the replacement cables Shure sells for use with a phone. It has a microphone on the cable, you know the style. The build quality is just terrible - I had this cable go out twice before I just gave up, stopped replacing it and went back to the stock factory cable. That said, the factory cable is too thick at the jack to fit my phone with the case on, but that's just a personal problem. Otherwise I think the construction is quite sturdy.

I should also say that my cables were the solid black kind, so I haven't had any discoloration (of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back