Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2,371 of 4,022
Just got my SE535, review sample that I can keep, I like them but they do have their weaknesses, like too forward mids, highs dont sparkle enough and bass extension isn't the best.

But they do have excellent clarity and soundstage.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #2,372 of 4,022
Just got my SE535, review sample that I can keep, I like them but they do have their weaknesses, like too forward mids, highs dont sparkle enough and bass extension isn't the best.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,373 of 4,022
I agree weith you assesment.  I think they are kind of boring.  For being that neutral, and for the price, they should at least have MUCH more transparency which is almost "poor."

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #2,376 of 4,022
They are designed to be worn over the ear due to how the cable enters the ear pieces, wearing them over the ears also diverts the weight of the earpieces over the temple-ish areas. Try to use your IEM's worn over the ear for a week, the benefits will quickly show (less microphonics mainly).

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #2,377 of 4,022

Mids are forward but far from too forward, they are forward but lush. If they were fatiguing and hard to listen to then that'd be too forward, try adding maybe 5-6 DB to them and then mayb that's be too forward.

However other parts are more than true, extension is poor on both ends and texture/impact lacking in lows and treble lacking sparkle. I also think clarity is lacking against cheaper IEMs such as Etymotic series, rock it r-50 and Heir 4.Ai quite noticeably.

More to come. Also think treble was more sparkles on the 530 while bass and mids are slightly better with 535.

Sep 24, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #2,378 of 4,022
Connected to my Apple DAPs, my conclusion concurs with randomkid. That is  mids too forward for a believably balanced sound.

Connected to my Galaxy S2 using Poweramp (Tone-on) the mids are fine. The treble is nice because I turn it up. The bass is good on most songs that don't have the super deep sub-bass notes. Even those are audible, they just don't rattle the bones (as I would like on occasion).

As for the 530 535 comparison, I think the treble and mids are better on the 535, and the bass is ever-so-slightly more "apparent" on the 530. On the S2 at least, the sound-stage of the 535 is much wider and deeper than the 530. Maybe the bass sounds slightly more prominent on the 530 because the sound-stage is more "intimate" (if you will).

Again, those impression are from the S2. The Apple DAP plus Headstage Arrow 4G is revealing something a little different.

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #2,381 of 4,022
Just ordered the 6N OFHC spc cable off eBay, lets see if it's any good when it arrives.

Sep 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #2,383 of 4,022
Quote:
However other parts are more than true, extension is poor on both ends and texture/impact lacking in lows and treble lacking sparkle. I also think clarity is lacking against cheaper IEMs such as Etymotic series,

Completely agree.  When I spend $500 on an IEM I need more than a great midrange and a "so-so" bass and treble.  I would even take UM2 over the "535"

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #2,384 of 4,022
Quote:
Mids are forward but far from too forward, they are forward but lush. If they were fatiguing and hard to listen to then that'd be too forward, try adding maybe 5-6 DB to them and then mayb that's be too forward.
However other parts are more than true, extension is poor on both ends and texture/impact lacking in lows and treble lacking sparkle. I also think clarity is lacking against cheaper IEMs such as Etymotic series, rock it r-50 and Heir 4.Ai quite noticeably.
More to come. Also think treble was more sparkles on the 530 while bass and mids are slightly better with 535.

Quote:
  Completely agree.  When I spend $500 on an IEM I need more than a great midrange and a "so-so" bass and treble.  I would even take UM2 over the "535"

Wow, at first I thought I was alone. Now I see I don't
tongue_smile.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #2,385 of 4,022
I think you'll find the SE535 Ltd Ed fixes some of the short comings of the standard 535.  Better top end, and slightly better bass extension.  I just wish they had a little more bass impact.  Bass texture is good though.

Still think they are overpriced for what they are though (although saying that ... I have no intention of selling mine ..... still love them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back