Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #2,386 of 4,022
Quote:
I think you'll find the SE535 Ltd Ed fixes some of the short comings of the standard 535.  Better top end, and slightly better bass extension.  I just wish they had a little more bass impact.  Bass texture is good though.

Still think they are overpriced for what they are though (although saying that ... I have no intention of selling mine ..... still love them).

The measurements (and my ears for that matter) show that the bass is linear flat down to 20Hz. 

graphCompare.php

I've included the LCD-2s; headphones that no one has accused of having too little bass 
wink.gif
. Is the treble rolled off on the SE535s? It is so for most IEMs IME, but any more and I'd find them too bright.

Sep 29, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2,387 of 4,022
Quote:

The measurements (and my ears for that matter) show that the bass is linear flat down to 20Hz. 

graphCompare.php

I've included the LCD-2s; headphones that no one has accused of having too little bass 
wink.gif
. Is the treble rolled off on the SE535s? It is so for most IEMs IME, but any more and I'd find them too bright.

i agree with you. I am not a expert but i think the se535 have more than enough bass ann concerning the treble i dont like too much treble

Oct 2, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #2,388 of 4,022
Quote:
I think you'll find the SE535 Ltd Ed fixes some of the short comings of the standard 535.  Better top end, and slightly better bass extension.  I just wish they had a little more bass impact.  Bass texture is good though.

Still think they are overpriced for what they are though (although saying that ... I have no intention of selling mine ..... still love them).

Brooko, interesting to see you are a 535 owner... just ordered myself a pair because I wanted some better portable fidelity

I've been a bit dormant around head-fi recently and I just found it interesting that we've crossed equipment paths again :wink:  Can't wait to give them a shot... got them for a pretty good price through earphonesolutions fall 20 percent off deal.

Do you think the LE version is substantially better? Can't those only be purchased at airports?

I'll fill you in on my impressions.

Oct 2, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #2,389 of 4,022
Quote:
Brooko, interesting to see you are a 535 owner... just ordered myself a pair because I wanted some better portable fidelity

I've been a bit dormant around head-fi recently and I just found it interesting that we've crossed equipment paths again :wink:  Can't wait to give them a shot... got them for a pretty good price through earphonesolutions fall 20 percent off deal.

Do you think the LE version is substantially better? Can't those only be purchased at airports?

I'll fill you in on my impressions.

Yep - I originally started with SE420s, then went SE315, SE425, and finally SE535 LE.  Although they are pricey, I couldn't be happier.  Because I'm in NZ - we come under Shure Asia/Pacific region.  I actually bought them from Addicted 2 Audio in Melbourne, Australia.

As I went through the Shure range, I knew I loved the mids - but each step up there was something slightly missing.  I got the chance to audition some standard SE535 when I was last in the US, and although they were wonderful, I still just wanted a little more top-end.  I was actually considering branching out and trying either the UM3X or maybe the Westone4 - but then the 'reds' were announced.  After I read a couple of reviews - where the consensus was that they had a little more sparkle - I took the chance and bought them.

Love everything about them - beautifully balanced, nice sparkle, wonderful detail - and what surprised me was the intimacy of the presentation.  For a start I have to admit I was looking for just a little more bass impact - but now after owning them for 6 months - I'm pretty happy with the bass.  It is beautifully textured, and extends really well.

I actually think I'm pretty finished now for the next couple of years.  I have everything I could want (flagships are out of my budget while the kids are still at home).  So I've been buying music every couple of weeks - it's been much more fun 
wink.gif

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the 535 standards.

Paul

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #2,390 of 4,022
My 535s have arrived--

I want to spend a lot of time with them before I come to any specific subjective conclusions, but I have a couple of very initial impressions:

I immediately noticed that they were a lot slower sounding than just about all of my other gear that I have owned, short of the HD448, but for being an IEM, the sound had some 3 dimensional shape to it.  I wanted to bold that statement because I am a guy who vastly prefers external setups to headphones-- mainly because every headphone I have tried (yes, 1K+ open back flagship models included) just can't generate sonic space like a good (or even mediocre) speaker system can (Just MY opinion).  So for me to notice a little bit of space being generated from an IEM is impressive in my book.

Second, they're very, very mid forward.  I used to think my SP-1 was the most mid forward piece of sonic equipment I owned, externals included.  Boy, the SP-1 sure sounds flat in comparison.  The mids in the 535 are no joke though, they're quite beautiful and lush, I just feel like they are being thrown at me which comes at the cost of sonic extension... which leads into my third "bullet of notice"

I'm really picky with my bass.  The only thing I might be picker with than my bass is women.  I feel like these things are a little bit on the light side in the low end... and this is coming from an SP-1 user (the other 450PRO/SP-1 users I know have flirted with the idea that it is a bass light headphone - I do not agree).  I'm sure objectively the bass measures pretty naturally, it's just that the balance of these IEMs favors the midrange so much, and it's so lush, that it is all you can pay attention to.  It absolutely butchers the top end and bass extension.

Now, I have a lot more listening to do and my mind may change.  I also think I need to give them a fair shot out of a more...synergistic (for lack of a better word) amp than the D100 - which I am fully convinced pairs terrible with lower impedance headphones.  I almost think they sound better right out of my iPod classic 160GB.  Might get these guys a fair portable amp with a lower output impedance designed for high current, low resistance setups.

I'll stay in touch as I listen more.  The 535 does seem promising, but I'm still finding my SP-1 more desirable.  Granted... I can't really take them outside.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #2,391 of 4,022
Just a word of caution if this hasn't been mentioned before: Please be careful when cleaning the nozzles with the supplied cleaning tool. I punctured the sound filters in both nozzles thinking the wire loop wouldn't reach in far enough. At first, I thought the filter only served as an internal wax guard, but immediately noticed the change in SQ, especially the highs (very harsh/shrill at the same volume), enough to be fatiguing.

I was ready to drop $200 for repair, but thankfully, Shure support replaced both drivers for free (didn't even ask for the receipt). I'm using Complys exclusively with these now to prevent making similar mistakes.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #2,392 of 4,022
My review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631340/review-shure-se535

With cable impressions on 3rd page

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #2,393 of 4,022
Nov 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #2,394 of 4,022
hey man, I Kinda touched the mesh while I was cleaning it  since wax was hanging on it. I don't see that came out.. but should I be worried It's damaged? I mean, if you can't touch the mesh how are you suppose to take that gunk off it :S

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2,395 of 4,022
Check the nozzles under a bright light. I remember as I was cleaning it, the parts that were ripped/punctured looked clear/silver instead of black (which the mesh is). At first I thought I was cleaning out the dirty waxes that turned dark, but there were none to begin with. I was too eager I guess, haha. Also, check for any changes in sound quality, especially the highs. It was enough to hurt my ears at high volumes.

Hope that helps and good luck. Try calling Shure support if you're unsure, great tech support.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #2,396 of 4,022
Thanks man, I appreciate it! No I don't think I see it, looks pretty uniform to me and sounds the same .. this is the first time with a hifi IEM, usually just go for open ear over the heads. So, was kinda new to it. Sounds amazing, but soooo difficult to clean.. especially when so many ppl want to try it out XD

Nov 2, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #2,398 of 4,022
Nov 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #2,399 of 4,022
I did notice a very slight (negligible in my opinion) decrease in SQ, but the A/B test only lasted about an hour so don't take my word on that. I personally don't mind sacrificing 1-5% SQ hit (if any) for the wax guard and especially the comfort of Complys. Gives me a peace of mind, haha. If SQ took a hit any more than that, then it might be due to the fit. The medium Complys are slightly smaller than the Shure olives of the same size. They didn't form a tight enough seal for my ears but the large tips fit very nicely (between Shure's large and med).

Nov 3, 2012 at 5:54 AM Post #2,400 of 4,022
hey man, I Kinda touched the mesh while I was cleaning it  since wax was hanging on it. I don't see that came out.. but should I be worried It's damaged? I mean, if you can't touch the mesh how are you suppose to take that gunk off it :S

theres no matter here to be worried, I have been cleaning it every 2 weeks or 3 and touching the mesh on purpose.. no probs whatsoever to the sound! i think thats one reason the se 535s are priced so high! 

I did notice a very slight (negligible in my opinion) decrease in SQ, but the A/B test only lasted about an hour so don't take my word on that. I personally don't mind sacrificing 1-5% SQ hit (if any) for the wax guard and especially the comfort of Complys. Gives me a peace of mind, haha. If SQ took a hit any more than that, then it might be due to the fit. The medium Complys are slightly smaller than the Shure olives of the same size. They didn't form a tight enough seal for my ears but the large tips fit very nicely (between Shure's large and med).

the complys dont degrade the SQ, this is just some audio fad going on! i've been using complys with the shures for the past 7 months and no difference, except for the sibilance is killed! i still prefer the shure olives the most! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back