Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #2,341 of 4,022
Yesterday I was finally able to try these. To be honest, I'm kind of dissapointed. The detail retrieval is nowhere as good as I would expect from a highly-priced, 3 balanced-armature IEM. Audio Technica CK10 smokes these in terms of both detail and instrument separation, with "only" 2 drivers and roughly half of the price. Actually, even the single dynamic driver RE272s excel the Shures in those terms.

They also do not perform as good as CK10, Brainwavz B2 or RE272 with complex music. The Shures sound way too congested.

I can't deny though that the Shures are more fun to listen to than the previously mentioned.

Aug 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #2,342 of 4,022
Well, I've come full circle on these...picked up a pair of used SE535s. Glad to have them back. Simply one of the best IEMs I've heard. I still slightly prefer my Westone 4s, but not as much as I did a year ago. IMO, both are much better than the bright/thin Hifiman IEMs or ER-4P/S. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #2,344 of 4,022
Quote:
The hifiman and etymotic iems have a completely different sound signature to the SE535s. Comparing the 2 is like comparing tea and coffee. It is up to wat kind of sound u prefer :/

Comparing IEMs to IEMs isn't valid? Seems silly. They are absolutely valid. Now comparing IEMs to say speakers...that would be silly.

What I prefer is "true to life" sound...and the Hifiman/Ety's are far from it to my ears. Bass light...etched treble and generally thin. The hyper treble can give a sense of increased detail, but in the end, its not.

graphCompare.php

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2,345 of 4,022
Yeah, its a perfectly valid point u have there. I used to love the detail on the etys too. Then I got LCD2s which made me realise wat natural sounds like which made me pick up a pair of 535s after I lost my etys'

I got the red limited editions which apparently have a very slight increase in treble but I dont have a 535 to compare it to. Anyone compared them before?
Oh and the limited edition ones have horrible cables! They are way too short!

Aug 2, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2,346 of 4,022
Quote:
Yeah, its a perfectly valid point u have there. I used to love the detail on the etys too. Then I got LCD2s which made me realise wat natural sounds like which made me pick up a pair of 535s after I lost my etys'

I got the red limited editions which apparently have a very slight increase in treble but I dont have a 535 to compare it to. Anyone compared them before?
Oh and the limited edition ones have horrible cables! They are way too short!

Too funny, I find that the standard SE535s have cables that are way too long. 
smile.gif
 Aren't the Limited Editions only available in Asia? Funny since Shure is in Illinois. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #2,347 of 4,022
They are just barely long enough for me turn my head left and right. I suppose Shure tihnks all asians are short so short cables to cater to their height. Im 175cm tall and this cable is too short for me -.- Apparently the limited edition ones are to cater to the Asian market's interest in red earphones aka fake beats though in this case a 600% upgrade in terms of SQ over beats XD

Aug 3, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #2,348 of 4,022
Quote:
 The hyper treble can give a sense of increased detail

Even though I do agree with that statement, in this case I'm positive that at least the RE272 and B2 (and by extension, the CK10) have better detail than the Shures, as I did extensive A/Bing. And I insist that the Shures can't handle complex material very well, which is a big let down for me, specially taking into account their triple driver setup and high price tag. Well, it's just a matter of taste I guess.

By the way, have you guys tried the RE262? I think these IEMs may appeal to you (these don't really appeal to me, but I think they are superior to the Shures sound-wise, sharing a similar sound signature).

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #2,349 of 4,022
The purpose of an IEM (for me) is to listen to my music for hours (on end) in the noisy environment of the big-rig (engine/wind noise). My T-Mo' S2/535 combo (with triple-flange tips) conquers the noise easily at ¼ to ½ volume. That's without feeling something was missing that required more volume.

I have earphones (and headphones) that do more sub-bass resonance (in quiet surroundings) than the 535. In fact, I have a $9 pair of old Skullcandys that can out-bass much more expensive IE8s. I have headphones that can out-sparkle the 535 in treble peak (fatiguing over time) and upper midrange peaks (giving the illusion of “greater detail”).

What I don't have (and haven't heard) is an IEM that does music as well as the 535 (in particular, my music—R&B, Blues,Rap*, Pop, Gospel, some Jazz/Rock). The balance (bass/mid/treble) is just right for me (using Poweramp). The instrumentation (especially the horns), background vocals**, and lead vocals aren't just present, they sound good. The treble doesn't tweak your eardrums but it sounds crisp and cute.

No headphone (or earphone) is perfect, but for me to spend money, an earphone would have to be clearly superior. Frankly, I don't see that being the case for less than twice the price of the 535. I'm thinking probably UM Merlin and higher on the price scale. I wouldn't spend a penny on a lateral move.

*The 535 can do 90% of my Rap songs (bass wise) without issue (especially when you combine isolation—what good is super deep sub-bass when you can't hear it in a noisy place?).

**Something occurs (with, I'm guessing balance volume) that draws your attention to individual singers singing in harmony (part of the dynamics).

Aug 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #2,350 of 4,022
Quote:

Even though I do agree with that statement, in this case I'm positive that at least the RE272 and B2 (and by extension, the CK10) have better detail than the Shures, as I did extensive A/Bing. And I insist that the Shures can't handle complex material very well, which is a big let down for me, specially taking into account their triple driver setup and high price tag. Well, it's just a matter of taste I guess.

By the way, have you guys tried the RE262? I think these IEMs may appeal to you (these don't really appeal to me, but I think they are superior to the Shures sound-wise, sharing a similar sound signature).

Sorry, I find the RE272 and 262 in the brighter/thinner camp = perceived more detail but does not = actual more detail. YMMV as they say.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #2,351 of 4,022
What I prefer is "true to life" sound...and the Hifiman/Ety's are far from it to my ears. Bass light...etched treble and generally thin. The hyper treble can give a sense of increased detail, but in the end, its not.

There lies the problem of how individual defines what is 'true to life'. Remember, Etymotic is tuned using research data so theoretically it is 'academically' true to life, but you don't agree with the science of it, don't you?

Also, though we will use different words to describe it, I do think this is just a half-full / half-empty argument that actually points to the same thing. To perceive more treble, of course you need to tune down the mid and bass. Just as to perceive more bass, you need to tune down the mid and treble. There is nothing wrong with that - our brain can only process and focus on that much information at any given time and headphone is tuned with that principle at mind. As far as the real world goes, perceived more detail = actual more detail, psychoacoustically.

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #2,352 of 4,022
Quote:
There lies the problem of how individual defines what is 'true to life'. Remember, Etymotic is tuned using research data so theoretically it is 'academically' true to life, but you don't agree with the science of it, don't you?
Also, though we will use different words to describe it, I do think this is just a half-full / half-empty argument that actually points to the same thing. To perceive more treble, of course you need to tune down the mid and bass. Just as to perceive more bass, you need to tune down the mid and treble. There is nothing wrong with that - our brain can only process and focus on that much information at any given time and headphone is tuned with that principle at mind. As far as the real world goes, perceived more detail = actual more detail, psychoacoustically.

So when one is listening to say someone with a jackhammer, the Ety's portray what real life sound? 
tongue.gif
 Sorry, not to my ears...rather far from it. Real life has bass, mids and treble and for me the Etys and RE272s miss the boat in that balance. YMMV, but sorry...I don't buy "that science". 
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #2,353 of 4,022
Well, I am sure someone from the objective camp will like to argue with you on that (to the death no less!), but as long as the difference can be recognized and understood, I see no foul :cool:

Aug 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #2,354 of 4,022
Quote:
Well, I am sure someone from the objective camp will like to argue with you on that (to the death no less!), but as long as the difference can be recognized and understood, I see no foul
cool.gif

You mean "subjective" camp. 
wink.gif

The SE535s and W4s (and even UE TF10s) sound AND measure more neutral (without as nasty treble peaks as the Etys or RE272s). But no need to fight to the death....its only audio, man. 
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #2,355 of 4,022
I will invite you to read the research papers that Etymotic FR curve is based on just to prove my point, but we already know you are not buying those... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back