Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Apr 1, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #1,981 of 4,022
These SE535s are fantastic. However, they seem to require careful system matching, and react to sources rather differently than my old Etys did.

Straight out of my iPhone 4, the tonal balance is ever so slightly warm, with a slight lower treble peak and somewhat rolled off upper highs. The bass quantity and quality is really something to behold - beautifully textured, just the right amount relative to the rest. And the mids! Wow. Lush, detailed, smooth, and precise beyond words. They really give my living room speaker rig a run for the money. The ER4ps (and the HF2s, to my recollections) have better-extended and airier highs, but the overall sound is quite bright, thin, and uninvolving relative to the SE535s.

Moving on to the iPhone 4 through a LOD and into the headamp end of an iBasso D3, the tonal signature is similar, but the peakiness of the treble, previously mild, is now more noticeable. The bass quantity didn't change, but there's more texture. The mids sound more transparent, but in all cases, we're talking a matter of a few degrees. Comparatively, the Etys react much more to the addition of amplification. The ER4's mids and bass improve considerably, but in exchange that extended, airy upper register is lost altogether. They sound almost dull through this setup.

Using my Macbook Pro as a source through the iBasso D3's DAC portion, then through its integrated headamp, the SE535s sound almost unlistenably bright and almost nasally. Just awful. Not sure why this is, given the ER4s go the opposite direction - the bright DAC section makes up for the highs they lose because of the headamp section, and retains the improved midrange and bass clarity and authority. For what it's worth, my Grado SR225s react to the D3's DAC and amp the same way as the SE535s, while the HD650s react the same way as the ER4s. A very polarizing source, to say the least. From what I can tell, the iBasso D3 headamp is a much better match for higher impedance cans than for lower ones.

Through my Oritek-modded Zhaolu D2.5A with Ori's custom discrete headamp, the SE535's excellent balance returns. There are no faults, other than what I might call a slightly "thick" sound, possibly owing to a lack of outright treble extension. But the overall sound is neither bright nor warm. It's just *good*. The treble peakiness I mentioned is gone. This is music. Female voices are especially lovely. Meanwhile, the ER4ps gain some midrange body and a bit of bass authority, while the treble remains well-extended if a bit bright. No superlatives here, though - the SE535s just sound better to my ears.

Overall, I am really enjoying the SE535s, but caveat emptor - while they sound great straight out of a decent portable, but if you're going to amp them, be careful of what you drive them with. I think I'm going to put my D3 up on the sale block and find something different.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #1,982 of 4,022
I've had my 535s for about six months now, and my 530s for five years. (replaced first set after 2.5 years) When I am in the gym I have the 530's in, everywhere else I use the 535s. I really love the sound and comfort of the 530s. But I prefer the sound of the 535s the instant I start using them. Oh my. I am convinced the more rounded shape of the 530s fits MY ears better than the 535s, and it's somewhat annoying to me sometimes that I notice the difference.

At Christmas time when Amazon did the $95 price on UE TripleFi 10s I bought a couple pair. When I tried them out I was at a loss as to why anyone would prefer them. The midrange is missing. I guess I'm a midrange guy, hence my love for the Shures. As everyone states they aren't bad at the bottom either. At 55, I wonder how much top I have left.

BTW, I had zero trouble finding someone to sell me the 535s for $385. (I notice some recent discussion about this) If there was a need I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. W4s you say? Whateva. Hope you like them as much I as love my 53xs!

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #1,984 of 4,022
I find the 5353's and the ER4P's to be polar opposites. You must be experiencing quite a revaluation.

Apr 2, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #1,985 of 4,022
Bloody similar to the SE530's (which i like)... but i'm loving this cable so far, i ordered another cable for the iphone4, should be here in a week.

So similar that im selling my 530s lol

Apr 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #1,986 of 4,022
This forum is now too long for me to keep track of. I'm currently selling my SE530 to replace with a pair of SE535. I know most people don't think it's worth the trouble if you already have the SE530, but I saw this as a way to protect my investment since right now my SE530s are problem free but require regular maintenance to prevent the cables from cracking. So I thought i'd sell them and buy the SE535. Anyway, to my question. Does anyone here recommend the Westone 4 over the SE535? I mean, for roughly the same money you do get one more driver. And nobody here will deny the difference that made to the SE535 compared to the SE425.
So any thoughts? Would anybody here get the Westone 4 over the SE535? I think the Westones are risky since they also suffer from cable problems. 

Isn't it ironic that Sennheiser has some of the best cables around, yet they don't seem to try as hard as everyone else? I mean, Westones got the braided cables. Yet, they still break. And the Triplefi10 cables are utter rubbish. Mine has suddenly started to crack for no reason at all. replacing them with Jaben cables. 

Anyway. suggestions and comments welcome! thank you all in advance!

Apr 5, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #1,991 of 4,022
...are people still buying them for >400 USD?

Apr 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,993 of 4,022
Got mine today! I'm falling in love all over again! I don't regret buying them over the Westone 4 one bit!
I've been a shure fan since I first listened to the SE530. It really was a love at first listen. 
Within 3 months, my collection also included the IE8 and TripleFi10 Pro. And although the 
Triplefi nearly won me over, I find myself constantly going back to the Shure SE530. I'm gonna 
miss them (sold them to buy the SE535). But now, I have a new love in the form of the SE535. I absolutely adore them, and that's
after listening to them for 30 minutes. It's all there. The lush rich tone. The superb clarity that none can 
match and for once, loving the cable!

This is a match made in heaven. Nothing short of that. 
With these babies, I'll be rocking for shure! pun intended. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back