Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #1,998 of 4,022

Just got a set of SE535s. I think I need some help. 
They don't sound clear. Highs are not very present, they sound extremely relaxed. 
The sound stage seems very confined. Midrange is strong. Bass seems OK. But overall clarity doesnt seem there. 

I think I'm getting a good seal. I can hear myself loudly and I can hear my heartbeat. 
Is this just a characteristic of them? I've tried all the tips that they came with. 
Some seem to work a little better than others except the white ones and large ones. They don't work at all for me. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,999 of 4,022
They have a fairly mid forward sound sig.  If you associate strong highs with clarity then you probably won't get it from the 535s.

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #2,000 of 4,022
Thanks. After searching, I think this poster is observing the same thing I am:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/539647/shure-se535-sound-really-muffled

How should my apple headphones compare? Should the difference in quality be noticeable to someone who's not an expert at this? 

As of now, they (apple stock)  are noticeably brighter and I can't really hear a $400 difference.

I know it's crazy to compare, but I don't have anything else to compare to. I do have a little experience in car audio and have had great results in terms of quality.. albeit after trial and error and spending a decent bit of money.. So I don't think I'm completely and totally new to SQ. But in this case, I'm not seeing a massive improvement vs what came with my iPhone. Hence I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong..

Apr 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #2,001 of 4,022
Well earbuds don't have much bass at all so I'd bet they might sound a little brighter since the SE535 isn't bright itself.  They have an understated sound that doesn't jump out and grab you as compared to other 'phones so its possible that they just aren't your cup of tea.  That said I think its pretty unlikely (though not impossible) that your tastes are such that you'd prefer the ibuds.  Even if you hate the frequency balance, the difference in detail, smoothness, imaging, separation, and plenty of other things should be plain as day.

Beyond trying all the tips and playing with the fit, you might want to double and triple check all the cable connections, make sure there's nothing in the sound tube except the white filter, and try it with a different source.  Its possible the headphone jack on your iphone is messed up somehow.  If none of that helps then they're probably defective in some way.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #2,002 of 4,022
I just received my Shure SE535 from Electronics-expo.  I have the Shure SE425 and Etymotic ER4P.  I'm listening to the 535's right now out of MacBook Pro and I've tried all 3 out of iPhone 3 GS, too, all with Apple Lossless files.  

I've gone back and forth listening to The Punch Brothers' Alex, Missy, and Rye Whiskey; and Patricia Barber's Light My Fire, Silent Partner, and Too Rich For My Blood.  I love all 3 earphones, but I prefer the Shure sound signature the most, and the 535's are the best of the three to my ears.  The Bass is tight, deep, and fast without over-powering the mids or highs.  The Mids are simply wonderful.  The highs are crisp without harshness and plenty of air.  The soundstage is wider than the 425 and Ety's by a bit, maybe.  They are definitely not veiled or muffled to me, by any means.  They are balanced, full, sweet, clear, and non-fatiguing.  They are also more clear, with wider extension top and bottom, than the 425's, but I love the 425's and Ety's, too.

If I had only one of the three, I'd be happy but I think I will be spending a lot of quality time with the 535's.  I'm sorry you're not having a good experience and hope you can solve the problem.  Maybe try different sources and file types?  Maybe they are defective?  Did you get them from an authorized Shure dealer?  Maybe you just don't like the Shure sound signature?  

If you want a more treble-centric sound signature, try the Etymotic ER4P. They don't extend as deeply into the bass range, but the bass is present and fast; they are very accurate and flat, without adding anything.

Good luck.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Quote:

They don't sound clear. Highs are not very present, they sound extremely relaxed. 
The sound stage seems very confined. Midrange is strong. Bass seems OK. But overall clarity doesnt seem there. 

I think I'm getting a good seal. I can hear myself loudly and I can hear my heartbeat. 
Is this just a characteristic of them? I've tried all the tips that they came with. 
Some seem to work a little better than others except the white ones and large ones. They don't work at all for me. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #2,003 of 4,022
I've read through various user opinions on Amazon and in this thread and im thinking of going for the SE535. I hope they really have a improved bass over the lacking bass of the SE310 which broke for me, guess of poor construction. Listens mostly on electronic music of various styles and bass is quite important for me but not that it overwhelmes the other acoustics.

Now im uncertain which colour i would go for. Which is the coolest, nicest looking one? Clear or Bronze?

Apr 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #2,004 of 4,022

In my opinion, the clears are nicer than the bronze.  It's really up to you though.  No audiophile will knock you for getting one color over the other.  SE535s are SE535s and are better than what the majority of people have in their ears right now.
Quote:
I've read through various user opinions on Amazon and in this thread and im thinking of going for the SE535. I hope they really have a improved bass over the lacking bass of the SE310 which broke for me, guess of poor construction. Listens mostly on electronic music of various styles and bass is quite important for me but not that it overwhelmes the other acoustics.

Now im uncertain which colour i would go for. Which is the coolest, nicest looking one? Clear or Bronze?

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #2,005 of 4,022

Quote:
In my opinion, the clears are nicer than the bronze.  It's really up to you though.  No audiophile will knock you for getting one color over the other.  SE535s are SE535s and are better than what the majority of people have in their ears right now.

Do you really think so? I think the Bronze has a higher quality finish, they look nicer. The clears looks kinda cheap.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #2,007 of 4,022

Quote:

I was first experiencing the same thing, but after changing the eartips, what a big difference!!!  The Shure Olives work the best for me!!!

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2,009 of 4,022

Quote:
Do you really think so? I think the Bronze has a higher quality finish, they look nicer. The clears looks kinda cheap.

Yea, I think the clears just look cooler, but the more I look at the bronze the more it grows on me.  The only reason I haven't bought the clears yet is because I can't find them for $385 like I can the bronze.  

Edit:  Also, Black 535s? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ejAUtFe6Ts

Edit 2: nevermind, I guess they just look black

Apr 10, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #2,010 of 4,022

Quote:

Yea, I think the clears just look cooler, but the more I look at the bronze the more it grows on me.  The only reason I haven't bought the clears yet is because I can't find them for $385 like I can the bronze.  

Edit:  Also, Black 535s? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ejAUtFe6Ts

Edit 2: nevermind, I guess they just look black

I think the clears look like a hearing aid thingy or similar. They're not ugly but they doesn't look that nice either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeQbumY_ej4

The most worrying thing about them could be that if the cable goes broke in the future it can be hard to find a replacement cable in the clear version. Most stockists with Shure replacement parts could just have the normal black cable version instead. I'm just guessing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back