Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #1,966 of 4,022
I think it may just be the new body and angle/length of the stem. When I tried them, I had a much harder time with fit than the older fixed cable models. I used to use the mid olive which if anything are a hair big and I still had to work for a seal. I'm sure for others the revised architecture is actually better but not for me and apparently you.

Mar 14, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #1,969 of 4,022
I know a lot of people here love their SE535's but many others on the Westone 4 thread seem to prefer the W4's over their Shure's in nearly every single way. They enjoy the mids, bass, highs, soundstage, etc. etc. and it seems the only place the SE535's stand a chance is in the mids. Why is it that some W4 and SE535 owners still prefer the SE535?
Thanks

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:51 AM Post #1,970 of 4,022
I auditioned them both together in preparation for my comparison write up... and I have to say, I personally enjoy the SE535 the most out of the three (EX1000, W4, and SE535). But then, there is something about its treble that does it for me. W4 is VERY impressive (technically), but it is a tad warm for me. They are both good buys, SE535 more so at the $389 price point... but I currently am not making a fuss over the W4's price. It is clearly deserving to be at that level.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #1,971 of 4,022
I just wanted to post the differences of the se530 and se535 for those of u who were wanting to know. I own the se530 and was able to spend a good amount of time comparing them to the se535 which u are able to try out at Shasonic on tottenham court road in london. I tested out my fave tracks which are all metal ie deftones, gojira, A perfect circle. I used the same tips on both earphones.

So firstly i can confirm kick drums were more deeper and powerful on se530 ,and more light and quiet on se535. Bass guitars/deeper bass is still recessed on both at about the same amount as each other.

The mids are clearer on the se535, but i think this could be becouse of the less bass, making it sound less vieled. Snares and guitars sounded more crisp and sharp, and slightly more airy.

The highs are slightly more crisp and clear on se535, and i think very slightly more forward. This may be why snares sounded sharper.

All the differences mensioned above are quite subtle but are definatly noticable when u AB. The same signature of forward mids is true for both. Overall the se535 is clearer and sharper, slightly crisper highs and has lighter kick drum.

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #1,972 of 4,022

Quote:
I auditioned them both together in preparation for my comparison write up... and I have to say, I personally enjoy the SE535 the most out of the three (EX1000, W4, and SE535). But then, there is something about its treble that does it for me. W4 is VERY impressive (technically), but it is a tad warm for me. They are both good buys, SE535 more so at the $389 price point... but I currently am not making a fuss over the W4's price. It is clearly deserving to be at that level.

How do they compare to the EX1000?

Quote:
I just wanted to post the differences of the se530 and se535 for those of u who were wanting to know. I own the se530 and was able to spend a good amount of time comparing them to the se535 which u are able to try out at Shasonic on tottenham court road in london. I tested out my fave tracks which are all metal ie deftones, gojira, A perfect circle. I used the same tips on both earphones.

So firstly i can confirm kick drums were more deeper and powerful on se530 ,and more light and quiet on se535. Bass guitars/deeper bass is still recessed on both at about the same amount as each other.

The mids are clearer on the se535, but i think this could be becouse of the less bass, making it sound less vieled. Snares and guitars sounded more crisp and sharp, and slightly more airy.

The highs are slightly more crisp and clear on se535, and i think very slightly more forward. This may be why snares sounded sharper.

All the differences mensioned above are quite subtle but are definatly noticable when u AB. The same signature of forward mids is true for both. Overall the se535 is clearer and sharper, slightly crisper highs and has lighter kick drum.

How are the shures for metal? I listen to basically everything you listed 
biggrin.gif
 How is it timbre wise? Does the tone of the guitar really come through? That is my favorite part about the pana's which is why they are my go to metal IEM's

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #1,973 of 4,022
@Daanish

I don't dare to make a proper comparison until I could get a hold of my own SE535. However, by memory, I can say that the EX1000 holds its ground as a top tier IEM and against the SE535 very well. These and the SE535, along with the W4, all have its pros and cons against each other and within their own sound spectrum and design.

In a brief comparison between the EX1000 and the SE535, I'd say that the EX1000 has a far better bass than the SE535. The mids of EX1000, despite of being well textured, doesn't hold to SE535's smooth mids. EX1000 also has a grainy treble, which becomes prominent in certain tracks; another thing the SE535 is better at than the EX1000.

Despite of how the summary sounds, these two are more technically equal than I has first thought. Hopefully, my comparison review will show that when it is complete. :)

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #1,974 of 4,022

Quote:
@Daanish

I don't dare to make a proper comparison until I could get a hold of my own SE535. However, by memory, I can say that the EX1000 holds its ground as a top tier IEM and against the SE535 very well. These and the SE535, along with the W4, all have its pros and cons against each other and within their own sound spectrum and design.

In a brief comparison between the EX1000 and the SE535, I'd say that the EX1000 has a far better bass than the SE535. The mids of EX1000, despite of being well textured, doesn't hold to SE535's smooth mids. EX1000 also has a grainy treble, which becomes prominent in certain tracks; another thing the SE535 is better at than the EX1000.

Despite of how the summary sounds, these two are more technically equal than I has first thought. Hopefully, my comparison review will show that when it is complete.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man! Look forward to your review!

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,975 of 4,022
Can I say it? I love the SE535. After doing ABing with the W4, the Se535 is the clear winner to me. Below are my subjective feelings.

The W4 is stellar. Seriously. And the Se535 could learn from it. The W4's bass is super clean and treble well extended, though in comparison its mids are still a little dull for my taste.While the W4 is technically very impressive, the SE535 moves my heart more. Subjectively, I can say the SE535 is about the music; it's not just that it's "fun" but that it's emotional, while still faithful to the source material. It's clean and yet powerful. The W4 is too restrained, almost emotionally stunted. It's not that the W4 is analytical...it's just missing passion. The SE535 oozes passion. The W4 strikes me as more about doing everything perfectly. I'm not dissing it. The W4 is awesome, but it draws in more of my mind and,  in comparison to the SE535, leaves my heart alone. It's a museum not a show.

Comparing them, I feel like I'm comparing to recordings of the same classical piece. One performer manages technical precision but is still a little...boring and uninvolving. Another performer can play with restraint and still make you weep. The second is the SE535. It is a beautiful thing.

To me, the SE535's biggest hindrance is still the cord. I'm slowly getting used to the ear guide, which I find just uncomfortable. I cannot wait for a quality, affordable third party option! One thing I do like about its ergonomics in contrast to the W4 is that the earpiece is longer and not as shallow as the W4's, making it easier to get a seal. I have no idea why the W4's stalk is so short...

The SE535 is just a marvel.

Mar 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #1,976 of 4,022
As it often happens, it's interesting how differently two people can hear things. I know you spoke of "my subjective feelings" and so here are some of mine.

At the time I owned the SE535s, I directly compared them to the UM3X, SM3 & my (custom) ES3X. I was so disappointed by the 535s that I put them up for sale in less than 24 hrs after I got them. They were sold a few days later so, in actual fact, I kept them for about a week. I tried to give them a second, third, fourth...chance, but they just never delivered on the SQ front. Like you, I didn't like the stiff cable which also lacked flexibility and was a little microphonic. I never had any issues with the ear guides/ memory wire, BTW and in fact thought they were quite a nice feature of the 535s.

I much preferred the UM3X's SQ at the time - my UM3X deliver about 90% of my custom's SQ and now I find the W4 an even better sounding IEM, on par with my ES3X. I also listen to quite a bit of Classical music and not only did the SE535s never move me emotionally but they just sounded... wrong. Unlike you, who still enjoys the W4s, I could never enjoy the 535s, not a single moment, I'm sorry to say. Chamber music, and string quartets in particular, never delivered the sound I get when hearing a string quartet live (unamplified). The UM3X comes much closer to that. BTW, only the single-flange soft grey silicone tips work for me both comfort and SQ-wise. Other genres were similarly disappointing.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #1,977 of 4,022
I feel I should have given Westone another chance, even if I didn't end up liking them as much as I love my 535s, just to hear what they sound like. The UM2s just left such a horrible taste in my mouth, from the bloated, sibilant sound to the very questionable build quality. The SE530s were amazing in comparison, minus the cable issues. And for those who are coming from the SE530, the SE535's cable is a godsend. Yes, it is more microphonic, but it's removable and sturdy as can be. So no, I don't regret getting my 535s in the least, but I'm curious about what Westone has come up with since the UM2.

Then again, my next earphone purchase will be JHA customs, so everything I just said is kind of a wash XD

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,978 of 4,022

biggrin.gif
 How is it timbre wise? Does the tone of the guitar really come through? That is my favorite part about the pana's which is why they are my go to metal IEM's

Hi daanish, well iv been using my se530's for over 3 years with mostly just metal, and they've been great. They are ,however, reccessed on both extreme ends of the spectrem, so deep bass ( bass guitars, floor toms) and highs (crash/china cymbols, that last bit of crispness if the hi hat and snare) are much quieter compared to guitars and vocals.

This does mean u are missing out on a more accurate sound, but it does make those screaming vocals and guitars more intence and in ur face, and u will never be distracted by bass guitars and cymbols stealing the show.

The mids are warm and clear (i think well suited for metal), and kick drum is just the right amount of thump (se535 is even more clear but has a weaker kick drum)

I am looking for somthing more balanced now, maybe w4's ,just doin some more research. I may end up prefering the se530's tho ,as im used to that forward mid now and i may miss vocals like the ending of ocean planet by gojira being so close to my face. Very powerful. Anyway ,hope that helps.

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,979 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Hi daanish, well iv been using my se530's for over 3 years with mostly just metal, and they've been great. They are ,however, reccessed on both extreme ends of the spectrem, so deep bass ( bass guitars, floor toms) and highs (crash/china cymbols, that last bit of crispness if the hi hat and snare) are much quieter compared to guitars and vocals.

This does mean u are missing out on a more accurate sound, but it does make those screaming vocals and guitars more intence and in ur face, and u will never be distracted by bass guitars and cymbols stealing the show.

The mids are warm and clear (i think well suited for metal), and kick drum is just the right amount of thump (se535 is even more clear but has a weaker kick drum)

I am looking for somthing more balanced now, maybe w4's ,just doin some more research. I may end up prefering the se530's tho ,as im used to that forward mid now and i may miss vocals like the ending of ocean planet by gojira being so close to my face. Very powerful. Anyway ,hope that helps.

Thanks for the great impressions! Sounds promising but the price puts me off, the HJE900's (when eq'd slightly) make me feel like I'm listening to the distortion guitar live so you really get to feel the entire tone of the guitar. I'm not sure if the reverse V shaped signature will be able to put across the same kind of timbre as the HJE's manages. 

Mar 31, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #1,980 of 4,022
I'm picking up my new SE535s tomorrow, which replace a well-loved set of ER4ps and an equally well-loved and unfortunately lost set of HF2s. I wouldn't have gone the Shure route, except that I managed to get a factory hookup on them at less than 50% of MSRP. (No, I cannot make the source's identity public. :) )

Will post some impressions and comparisons tomorrow, hooked to whatever sources I can muster up. I can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back