Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Apr 11, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #2,026 of 4,022
...Someone remind me again how the clears look ugly/cheap. I would strongly disagree....

Apr 11, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #2,027 of 4,022
First time I came to this thread since I got myself the SE535s, and I actually agree with most points Kwangsun.

Overall I prefer the sound of SE535 so decided to keep it (and get custom cables),
but the SE530 has better fitting for me with a full round housing,
and the SE535 cable... I think Shure just went too far. Memory wire is lousy and uncomfortable, and it seems the end of the plastic edge of the "wire covers" may cut into the cable a bit and cause connection issues over time.

I noticed this because I got sec hand ones, but I'm about to receive custom cables and see if it'll make fitting issues and connection better.

For sound, I don't really feel it as sibilance through my portable setup. It's clear and punchy. I get fatigued by the SE535 a bit earlier than SE530 due to the cleared up and tight treble plus tighter bass, but it's catchy so I decided this is my pick.

I have the SE530s now for sale if anybody is interested.
Edit: low ballers.. sigh
Quote:
cifani090, i might.
I don't know! i upgraded from my SE530, and they feel uncomfortable. 
I don't get why Shure decided to make the SE535 edgier. Hurts.
Then there is the sound. I remember having the exact issue with the 
SE530. At first listen, I fell in love with the clarity. Then when I started 
listening to Celine Dion or Sarah Brightman. Agad. Sibilance. 
hurts my ears x2.
I contacted Elec-expo about refunds. Looks like i'll take a hit of about 
80 bucks. I don't want to return them just yet. But there is a deadline.
I really want to love them. I've tried the Sennheiser IE8 and the TripleFi10 Pro. 
Heck, tried? Own. And they're not the king of the hill in my opinion.

Does anyone else feel that way? that they're uncomfortable and the the sound is a 
much to sibilant? The thing is, my old SE530s sounded like that at first. But i ended 
up absolutely loving them. So what's am I doing wrong??? 

Apr 11, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #2,029 of 4,022
...and BTW. A lot of 2 armature IEMs can sound better than 4. So, more is not necessarily better. I know a tenured Head-Fier that prefers the 435's over the 535's. To each his own.
But I do like my 535's better than my 530's due to the memory wire and the ability to rotate the wire. With the 530's and 500's, you have to use some sort of wire management or glasses to keep the wire like looking how Michael Stipe from REM wears them. He's got wire sticking out like Donald Trump's hair on a windy day.

Apr 11, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2,031 of 4,022
I'd rather use my Portapros or Sony MDR7506 with it's flat sound first before I use a Dre.
The Dre Solo HD made me wanna bash it into little pieces for insulting pretty much every
respectable headgear upto the 200 dollar point.
I returned my SE535 today. Sad to see them go, but I guess I'll just hold on to the money
until something really interesting comes along. Tempted to buy the B&W P5 cause they're such
a beauty. But then I ended up asking myself if I'd ever trade an Se535 or an Se530 for those
and the answer came out pretty much no. So I'm just waiting for my money and thinking
about what to do with it.

Hahaha, what to do with it. Save it? put it in the bank?
Course not. That would be silly.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #2,038 of 4,022
Get ear impressions done by an audiologist. It should cost no more than $50. I paid $25 for both ears. Get them reshelled by Fisher Hearing or Kozee Sound solutions for $90. Buy a replaceable cable from the company for an additional $20. Shipping will be cheap if you live in the US. Still cheaper to get them turned into customs.

Apr 12, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #2,039 of 4,022

Quote:
...Someone remind me again how the clears look ugly/cheap. I would strongly disagree....

Just personal preference, really.  I saw someone recently with clear SE215s and although at the time I was really set on clear SE535s, I almost completely changed my mind when I saw clears in person.  Obviously the overall quality of SE535s is significantly better than SE215s, but i doubt the cables are made much (if at all) differently and I doubt even more that a 535 cable will look any different than a 215 cable.

My bronze 535s should be here tomorrow!

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2,040 of 4,022

Quote:
I haven't posted here in ages but my Shure E500's finally broke after about 7 years.  Called Shure and they said they would replace them for $240+ shipping.  Please tell me it's worth it?

Holy crap, really? When did they release the E500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back