Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #2,041 of 4,022
Hey! I was reading your comment and found that you ordered the SE535 Bronze! I'm just wondering how do you feel about the sound? How is the clarity and the bass? I'm thinking about buying it but I would like to know more about it. Thank you.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #2,042 of 4,022
Recabled mine today. Solved every single issue I had with the factory ones.
Cables aren't chunky so the housing settles in my ears better.  No memory wire, comfortable.  1.2m, the length just right for my everyday use.
Straight plug, better for my Fuze and Arrow in pocket.

I don't think sound has changed but music comes in my ears more naturally because of the better fit, and I don't have to care about the cable while I walk.

I actually agree the clear ones may look cheap or ugly, but it also means less bling, less attraction for thieves.. I chose clear ones because I already enjoyed enough dark bronze with SE530, time for a change.
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #2,043 of 4,022
What I heard recently from a friend who owns SE530s is Shure no longer offers 530s for $150 when you send your 500s or 530s in. Now they offer 535s for $240. This is for OUT of warranty issues. So now you kids with 530s who want to step up can do it by sending in your pair of 530s and $240. Fun.

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,045 of 4,022
...Someone remind me again how the clears look ugly/cheap. I would strongly disagree....

Maybe in a certain light in a photograph...but when you hold these beauties in real life, they look awesome. Not to mention the metallic ones look too similar to the SE530s. :D

Apr 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,046 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:
...Someone remind me again how the clears look ugly/cheap. I would strongly disagree....

Maybe in a certain light in a photograph...but when you hold these beauties in real life, they look awesome. Not to mention the metallic ones look too similar to the SE530s.
biggrin.gif

I am buying a pair on Head-Fi and i just came from a pair of custom's, and those were nice (transparency) so i hope these are similar to build quality and transparency.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #2,047 of 4,022

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe in a certain light in a photograph...but when you hold these beauties in real life, they look awesome. Not to mention the metallic ones look too similar to the SE530s.
biggrin.gif

I was too harsh in my judging, the clear do look nice but i prefer the coca cola coloured ones.

Apr 14, 2011 at 4:07 AM Post #2,048 of 4,022

Quote:
Recabled mine today. Solved every single issue I had with the factory ones.
Cables aren't chunky so the housing settles in my ears better.  No memory wire, comfortable.  1.2m, the length just right for my everyday use.
Straight plug, better for my Fuze and Arrow in pocket.

I don't think sound has changed but music comes in my ears more naturally because of the better fit, and I don't have to care about the cable while I walk.

I actually agree the clear ones may look cheap or ugly, but it also means less bling, less attraction for thieves.. I chose clear ones because I already enjoyed enough dark bronze with SE530, time for a change.
smile.gif

Nice, i'd make a custom one if i didn't use it with my iPhone ><

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #2,049 of 4,022
All this time i'm still wondering why most of shure product were overpriced in the market, i don't think its just because of their premium brand or something.
Anyway i may getting this IEM soon enough if nothing goes wrong.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #2,051 of 4,022
I got my SE535s back in December, and have been listening to them on and off. I guess I was so naive when it came down to listening to these. However, I continuously put them down. I found the clarity to be beyond phenomenal, mids were crisp, and highs pretty nice. However, after listening to many different headphones, I started to realize exactly what the SE535s were missing, and the reason why I kept on putting them down. True, you would expect a pair of $400-$500 dollar headphones to sound better than a pair of $100 TF10s. However, I guess its not the case we me. I basically love my TF10s. There are many flaws to it, but with the extended sound stage with bold lows, it's hard to go wrong with that. Mids aren't great, but the lows are sometimes too beautiful to actually worry about the mids. There are many flaws to the TF10s, but the pro to con ratio is in the same ball park with the SE535s. Both flagship universals are nice in their own aspect and others. In my own opinion, the lows in the SE535s seem flat. Not a big problem in classical music (Mozart, Tchaikovsky, or Mahler) but it definitely cuts into my rock and hip hop (Rush, Dream Theatre, Five Finger Death Punch, All that Remains, Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson, and Usher just to name a few). All these groups require a bass line that is quick and crisp while not being muddy and imprecise. SE535s doesn't do that for me. It makes it hard to listen to Rush when Pearts drum kicks fall flat in a sense. The highs sounds congested to me, and I really wish it sparkled as much as my customs. I might be because my customs poisoned my ear, but that is just what I feel. I still love these things, and they are beautiful as traveling headphones, but not my cup of tea in certain genres.  

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #2,052 of 4,022
Wow, my TF10s didn't earn a listen beyond a half hour before I put them back in the box. They were not anything close to the pleasure I get from the 535s. Different strokes I guess....

Apr 17, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #2,053 of 4,022
Yes the SE535 bass might not be enough for bass fans (including myself but I'm not exactly a bass head).
That's why I use the bass boost 1 with the Arrow.  To my ears, perfect for most songs I listen (maybe too much for certain genre).

I used SE310 and SE530 both for about a year, they don't give out too much bass on it's own, but their drivers have enough potential.  That's what I like about Shure BAs.

Apr 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2,055 of 4,022

Quote:
tempting.. but the memory wire is still irritating D:

Yeah.  The cable is of superb quality, but I actually found the swiveling connector to be of primary annoyance.  After a few tries, you get used to it and it's no longer a problem.

Quote:
Wow, my TF10s didn't earn a listen beyond a half hour before I put them back in the box. They were not anything close to the pleasure I get from the 535s. Different strokes I guess....

I too wasn't particularly impressed by the TF10s.  I was expecting it to shine with classical music but actually preferred the ER4P over it despite the ER4P's obvious shortcomings.  Methinks the ER4Ps reproduce instrument timbre to a greater accuracy.

Quote:
I got my SE535s back in December, and have been listening to them on and off. I guess I was so naive when it came down to listening to these. However, I continuously put them down. I found the clarity to be beyond phenomenal, mids were crisp, and highs pretty nice. However, after listening to many different headphones, I started to realize exactly what the SE535s were missing, and the reason why I kept on putting them down. True, you would expect a pair of $400-$500 dollar headphones to sound better than a pair of $100 TF10s. However, I guess its not the case we me. I basically love my TF10s. There are many flaws to it, but with the extended sound stage with bold lows, it's hard to go wrong with that. Mids aren't great, but the lows are sometimes too beautiful to actually worry about the mids. There are many flaws to the TF10s, but the pro to con ratio is in the same ball park with the SE535s. Both flagship universals are nice in their own aspect and others. In my own opinion, the lows in the SE535s seem flat. Not a big problem in classical music (Mozart, Tchaikovsky, or Mahler) but it definitely cuts into my rock and hip hop (Rush, Dream Theatre, Five Finger Death Punch, All that Remains, Chris Brown, Bruno Mars, Michael Jackson, and Usher just to name a few). All these groups require a bass line that is quick and crisp while not being muddy and imprecise. SE535s doesn't do that for me. It makes it hard to listen to Rush when Pearts drum kicks fall flat in a sense. The highs sounds congested to me, and I really wish it sparkled as much as my customs. I might be because my customs poisoned my ear, but that is just what I feel. I still love these things, and they are beautiful as traveling headphones, but not my cup of tea in certain genres.  

Maybe you will like a pair of Monster Miles Davis Tributes.  They're like the SE535 on steroids: more powerful bass, lush midrange and good treble extension.  It's certainly too bold a sound for classical music, but the bass is very much alive.  More importantly, the powerful bass is pretty textured, especially considering its quantity, and does not smear into the upper registers.  It probably doesn't reveal as many nuances as its balanced armature counterparts, but it is by no means a slouch.  Still, they're pretty unsuited for classical.  The SE535 is a much better all-rounder whereas the MDT is a niche product.  Few products can beat the SE535 for build quality though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back