Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #1,248 of 4,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoleen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really want to get these Shures but the price is kind of high. Anyone know a legit etailer selling them for under $499?? Great thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswold /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have bought one from this guy and he is legit. i confirmed it on my shure dealer here in my place. LINK REMOVED BY JUDE

I am 100% sure that Shure would never say the above eBay listing is legit. This has been confirmed by Jude, Head-fi founder & administrator, who says the above listing looks quite suspicious.

Also, the person recommending this seller has no credibility at all here in Head-fi

EDIT: The eBay seller also changed item description yesterday and has added:

"I will increase price to $340 when stocks arrive. Hurry up and get one now!"

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #1,249 of 4,022

Quote:

I am 100% sure that Shure would never say the above eBay listing is legit. This has been confirmed by Jude, Head-fi founder & administrator, who says the above listing looks quite suspicious.

Also, the person recommending this seller has no credibility at all here in Head-fi

EDIT: The eBay seller also changed item description yesterday and has added:

"I will increase price to $340 when stocks arrive. Hurry up and get one now!"

it seems to me your always looking for a reason to call it "suspicious fake etc"
just because the price is a steal doesn't mean its a copy

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #1,250 of 4,022
Quote:
2rooi123 said:

it seems to me your always looking for a reason to call it "suspicious fake etc"

Jude, our main Head-fi administrator, has already stated the listing looks quite suspicious and I believe he sent you and somebody else a private message regarding your sale.

BTW, I never said they're fakes. My suspicions are of a different nature, which may be as bad or worse than selling fakes..

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #1,251 of 4,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoleen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really want to get these Shures but the price is kind of high. Anyone know a legit etailer selling them for under $499?? Great thread too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griswold /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have bought one from this guy and he is legit. i confirmed it on my shure dealer here in my place. LINK REMOVED BY JUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry to say, but I too think this is more than strange. A newbie with post count 2 asking for a legit seller and another newbie with post count 2 answering just 13 minutes later and giving that ebay link? What a happy coincidence!
wink.gif

And on top of that, there's this quote from the Q&A:

Quote:
Q: How much is the shipping to Quezon City, MetroManila? What is the mode of shipment?

A: All local shipments will be shipped through LBC it will cost around $200

$200 for local delivery? Seems like the seller doesn't want local customers. Not exactly unsuspicious, if you ask me.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #1,252 of 4,022
There are no SE535 fakes.yet.

I would like to buy one more pair of SE535  but I have a big problem: Taxes, which are around 22% of item value .

Its a good amount of money to take the risk,but you can pay with paypal so if there is any problem you would get your money back.

Sep 4, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #1,253 of 4,022

Quote:

Sorry to say, but I too think this is more than strange. A newbie with post count 2 asking for a legit seller and another newbie with post count 2 answering just 13 minutes later and giving that ebay link? What a happy coincidence!
wink.gif

And on top of that, there's this quote from the Q&A:

$200 for local delivery? Seems like the seller doesn't want local customers. Not exactly unsuspicious, if you ask me.

Lol.I never though on that point.
Youre a astute person
biggrin.gif
Personally I would not take the risk of buyin these.

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #1,254 of 4,022
How about a veteran asking for a good price on the 535s??
I accidentally posted on my girl's account and was too lazy to log off.

Sep 5, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #1,255 of 4,022
I've had these for about a month now - and I love 'em. I'm returning the un3x's and keeping the 535's. Here's my opinion on the two:

- build quality on the 535's is on another level. These feel and look like highend equipment.

- shure olive tips are perfect for me

- I only use these with my iPhone, so having the option of a replaceable cord with phone and iPod controls built in (extra $50 is a bummer) is nice.

- the cord on the um3x cord felt a little short to me, but I'm a big guy, so for others this may be a plus

- connectors on 535 are much better thought out. Two pronged conn on um3x is not as friendly and I could see it getting bent

- standard cord on 535's does conduct more sound when you tap it, um3x does not. Bui haven't actually found this to be an issue. Jus a note.

Now the sound:

- um3x def has more bass... But it also puts the bass into the low-mid range which I did not like. I.e. Voices have more bass in them as well. Or you hear the low-end 'hit' of a piano hammer.

- I'm a musician and my preference is to have the bass only be where it's supposed to be.

- I did find the non-eq'd sound of the 535's was a little lite for me. But my solution is to use the 'classical' or 'electronic' eq settings in my iPhone. This sound to me is perfect.

- The 535's with this eq setting sparkle, punch, are warm, crystal clear and do not fatigue the ear.

- the um3x's I did not feel had as much clarity. Their overall feel was too bass heavy for me. And I really didn't care for the way their low-end intrudes into the mid's.

- I commute 50 mins each way to work and have listened to both of these for these amounts of time multiple times and neither iem was fatiguing.

So, there you go! That's my $.02. If there's anything I've learned from forums it's that different people like different things. I was hoping to like the um3x's more since they're cheaper, but i.simply prefer the 535's.

Cheers,

Jared

Sep 5, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #1,257 of 4,022

Quote:
Whoops - the 535's did NOT fatigue the ear. Forgive the typo.

Yeah.I can be listening to them for hours.

They are super comfortable and the sound is so clean it doesn't make headaches
biggrin.gif
.and I use to listen to Rock and Heavy Metal
tongue.gif

Btw do you guys think that changing equalizer settings on my music player would be  a good option to take more advantage of this earphones?

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #1,258 of 4,022

Quote:

- I'm a musician and my preference is to have the bass only be where it's supposed to be.

There was a time when I suppose you could say I was a musician - played guitar & bass guitar - and I have to say I find the UM3X's bass closer to where it "is supposed to be" than the SE535's bass.

I used to have a 160GB iPod Classic and occasionally I'd use its EQ, but always felt it added a very slight amount of distortion; perhaps the iPhone's EQ is better than the Classic's? My Sony X has an excellent 5-band EQ -- to me certainly better than the iPod Classic's EQ -- and 2 custom settings on top of the usual Jazz, Pop... I tried EQ'ing the SE535 with my Sony X to bring out the bass and lower the highs and got good results but, call me a purist if you like, I prefer a flat EQ 98% of the time. With the SM3s I had to EQ them a lot more to get a more convincing (to these ears) sound, though it never quite got there.

I totally agree with you and did say so before: the SE535 looks better - maybe even MUCH better - than the UM3X, has more solid build quality and this alone would appeal to (many) more people. I remain convinced, though, that on purely SQ terms the UM3X would appeal to more people, and NOT necessarily bass-heads.

To me personally microphonics AND flexibility are (quite) important, and as beautiful and high-end as the SE535 cable seemed, it just wasn't right for my needs on those two aspects.

And yes, it's been said here many times already that people prefer different things, it's very true -- glad you did find the IEM for you. The SE535 is a very good IEM, no question about that.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #1,259 of 4,022
Guess some of us are addicted indeed, and can't leave........ the SE535. lol. We say we are gone like others say, yet we are still here. I am addicted to the 535s for sure, but still have favorites in the FX700, SM2/SM3. The 535s are up there though. Oh, by the way, smh yet again. 
deadhorse.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #1,260 of 4,022
Glad you are enjoying them @ jaredalv... Happy listening.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
I've had these for about a month now - and I love 'em. I'm returning the un3x's and keeping the 535's. Here's my opinion on the two:

- build quality on the 535's is on another level. These feel and look like highend equipment.

- shure olive tips are perfect for me

- I only use these with my iPhone, so having the option of a replaceable cord with phone and iPod controls built in (extra $50 is a bummer) is nice.

- the cord on the um3x cord felt a little short to me, but I'm a big guy, so for others this may be a plus

- connectors on 535 are much better thought out. Two pronged conn on um3x is not as friendly and I could see it getting bent

- standard cord on 535's does conduct more sound when you tap it, um3x does not. Bui haven't actually found this to be an issue. Jus a note.

Now the sound:

- um3x def has more bass... But it also puts the bass into the low-mid range which I did not like. I.e. Voices have more bass in them as well. Or you hear the low-end 'hit' of a piano hammer.

- I did find the non-eq'd sound of the 535's was a little lite for me. But my solution is to use the 'classical' or 'electronic' eq settings in my iPhone. This sound to me is perfect.

- The 535's with this eq setting sparkle, punch, are warm, crystal clear and do not fatigue the ear.

- the um3x's I did not feel had as much clarity. Their overall feel was too bass heavy for me. And I really didn't care for the way their low-end intrudes into the mid's.

- I commute 50 mins each way to work and have listened to both of these for these amounts of time multiple times and neither iem was fatiguing.

So, there you go! That's my $.02. If there's anything I've learned from forums it's that different people like different things. I was hoping to like the um3x's more since they're cheaper, but i.simply prefer the 535's.

Cheers,

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread

Back