Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #1,277 of 4,022

OK - so next-to-last final post on my personal SE535 v UM3X experience.  As bg, I'm a musician and singer, and also work in sound reinforcement for a mid-size church.  I'm also a music lover with Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis on my iPod to Bruno's little release, Red Hot Chili's, Santana, Latin Electronica.... and even one London Symphony's Carmina Burana.  Oh yeah - and gospel contemporary and black gospel.  Pretty much all over.

So first ever high-end IEM's was 535's.  WOW!  Incredibly impressed.  Read music_4321's endorsement of the UM3X's and ordered them for comparison, intending to keep whichever IEM worked best for me.  UM3X they shipped me had a defective left monitor.  Sent it back.  Also in that time I bent the 535 nozzle trying to change the tip.  So I had to send that back as well for replacement.  (btw: earphonesolutions.com has been excellent in working to help me.).

Got the 535's back and sound was still amazing.  Though I did find I needed to play with the EQ settings to boost the low-end, I was still amazed at the clarity, detail, separation and presence in my head of the sound.

Got the UM3X's back and man, the bass was just everywhere.  All in the voices, in high-end instruments, there was a general low-mid emphasis on everything that was not a good thing.  But definitely more bass overall - thumped in my ears.  
smily_headphones1.gif
 So I decided to keep the 535's.

But freakin' music_4321's post and endorsement kept bugging me.  
smily_headphones1.gif
 So I ordered a THIRD pair of UM3X's and guess what: they're different.  They're very nice.  Lots of low-end with none of the low-mid intrusion that bugged me.  Now I truly have a 535 competitor.

>>>

So two points: First, to have gotten TWO bad (one defective, one with low-mid intrusion) sets from Westone is kind of weird?  I know they're a great company, etc.  I guess I was just really unlucky - but there is a very noticeable difference in this 3rd set and the 2nd set.

Secondly, I'm really digging these.  There is so much low-end presence.  Very nice.  And that's with the EQ left 'off' on my iPhone4.  Maybe not quite the sparkle of the 535.  Definitely a different sound signature.

>>>

So a big thanks to music_4321.  I love these.  You were SO convinced in the quality of these that I had to give 'em one last try.

And now on to listening to my library again with these and the 535's.  Lots of comparison, A/B'ing.  In a while, I'll let you know which way I go and maybe see if I can sell the other set here on the forum.

Cheers,
Jared

Quote:

There was a time when I suppose you could say I was a musician - played guitar & bass guitar - and I have to say I find the UM3X's bass closer to where it "is supposed to be" than the SE535's bass.

I used to have a 160GB iPod Classic and occasionally I'd use its EQ, but always felt it added a very slight amount of distortion; perhaps the iPhone's EQ is better than the Classic's? My Sony X has an excellent 5-band EQ -- to me certainly better than the iPod Classic's EQ -- and 2 custom settings on top of the usual Jazz, Pop... I tried EQ'ing the SE535 with my Sony X to bring out the bass and lower the highs and got good results but, call me a purist if you like, I prefer a flat EQ 98% of the time. With the SM3s I had to EQ them a lot more to get a more convincing (to these ears) sound, though it never quite got there.

I totally agree with you and did say so before: the SE535 looks better - maybe even MUCH better - than the UM3X, has more solid build quality and this alone would appeal to (many) more people. I remain convinced, though, that on purely SQ terms the UM3X would appeal to more people, and NOT necessarily bass-heads.

To me personally microphonics AND flexibility are (quite) important, and as beautiful and high-end as the SE535 cable seemed, it just wasn't right for my needs on those two aspects.

And yes, it's been said here many times already that people prefer different things, it's very true -- glad you did find the IEM for you. The SE535 is a very good IEM, no question about that.

Sep 16, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #1,278 of 4,022

Quote:
i own the SE530's. Do the SE535's have less bass? 

To my ears they are the same in the bass/mids. The difference really is threefold:

1.) Treble is much better extended on the SE535s (not rolled off as the SE530s).
2.) The sound stage has opened up to the level of the Westone 3s on the SE535s. I found the SE530s a little to "in your head" sounding.
3.) The construction makes them the most durable IEMs out there (and a user replaceable cable too).

Sep 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #1,279 of 4,022
I'm not sure how much of a difference there was between the E500's and 535's...but I am definitely happy with the 535's.

I hated the non-memory cable of the 500's (could only use with sunglasses) and the feebleness of the 500 cable. The 535's have a lower profile, memory for around the ear, and obviously the detachable cable. I'm not sure if I am the only one that feels this way (reading about the general consensus that the 535's are just a 530 with a better cable), but I feel that the 535's sound is more refined than the 500's along with the overall output. I don't know the facts from Matt whether or not the crossover or the armatures have been tweaked, so I can only go by what I hear. on the scale for me.
And, right now, I am hearing a better headphone. The price is expensive, but I feel it is the best IEM you can get without going the custom route. IMO, they are a league above the MTPC's and quite a few steps behind the UE-10's and the JH-13's. Not sure if it's a fair comparison to vie the Universal against a custom mold. As far as tips, I am a baby blue triple flange man for ease of use, but I feel that nothing tops the foamies. 
The foamies offer better ambient sound isolation and their comfort level is high. I fly on planes weekly, and the foamies definitely isolate the best (but then again, I can't wear normal size triple flanges). Even though I have a big head, I have small ear canals,

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #1,280 of 4,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredalv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I bent the 535 nozzle trying to change the tip.  So I had to send that back as well for replacement.  

Not to swing off topic intentionally, but I thought this worth mentioning in light of the above:

I just today received a brand new replacement pair of SE530's from Shure (my previous had damaged drivers after 1.5 years of use). 

The new set that came in today shipped with the large black Shure "olives" already installed on the nozzle; wanting to switch to my preferred yellow foamies, I went to twist the olives off but they seemed literally *glued* on to the nozzle. I didn't want to apply too much pressure as I had heard horror stories (like the above) about damaging the nozzles when trying to twist/pull off the tips.

So, I phoned Shure and talked to their earphone folk about it and the lady I spoke with ("Max") ... very knowledgeable, BTW ... said that this can happen when the earphone goes through an extreme change in temperature, generally from very cool to very warm. She called this "plastic migration" ... in other words, when one plastic surface slightly binds to another. That said, she recommended placing the earphone in the freezer for 20 mins (approx) and then attempting the twist off again, saying that it should be effortless.

So that is just what I did. And, it worked like a magic trick. Twisted very easily (though I had to pull a bit to get the tip over the "bump" in the nozzle). But it solved the problem of possibly breaking the nozzle, quite nicely. Very effective little trick for the few of us who have run into stuck tips.

So, sorry to ramble, this applies just as much to the SE535's and, relating to "jaredalv"'s experience, I figured I'd post it for future reference.

Best.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #1,281 of 4,022

Quote:

Not to swing off topic intentionally, but I thought this worth mentioning in light of the above:

I just today received a brand new replacement pair of SE530's from Shure (my previous had damaged drivers after 1.5 years of use). 

The new set that came in today shipped with the large black Shure "olives" already installed on the nozzle; wanting to switch to my preferred yellow foamies, I went to twist the olives off but they seemed literally *glued* on to the nozzle. I didn't want to apply too much pressure as I had heard horror stories (like the above) about damaging the nozzles when trying to twist/pull off the tips.

So, I phoned Shure and talked to their earphone folk about it and the lady I spoke with ("Max") ... very knowledgeable, BTW ... said that this can happen when the earphone goes through an extreme change in temperature, generally from very cool to very warm. She called this "plastic migration" ... in other words, when one plastic surface slightly binds to another. That said, she recommended placing the earphone in the freezer for 20 mins (approx) and then attempting the twist off again, saying that it should be effortless.

So that is just what I did. And, it worked like a magic trick. Twisted very easily (though I had to pull a bit to get the tip over the "bump" in the nozzle). But it solved the problem of possibly breaking the nozzle, quite nicely. Very effective little trick for the few of us who have run into stuck tips.

So, sorry to ramble, this applies just as much to the SE535's and relating to "jaredalv"'s experience, I figured I'd post it for future reference.

Best.

Works like a charm...I've used this method exclusively with Shure IEMs and it is amazing how well it works. Somebody should make this a sticky.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #1,282 of 4,022
@jaredalv...
Interested in hearing your final comparisons between the UM3x and the SE535.
Keep us posted.

shane

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #1,283 of 4,022

Quote:

OK - so next-to-last final post on my personal SE535 v UM3X experience.  As bg, I'm a musician and singer, and also work in sound reinforcement for a mid-size church.  I'm also a music lover with Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis on my iPod to Bruno's little release, Red Hot Chili's, Santana, Latin Electronica.... and even one London Symphony's Carmina Burana.  Oh yeah - and gospel contemporary and black gospel.  Pretty much all over.

So first ever high-end IEM's was 535's.  WOW!  Incredibly impressed.  Read music_4321's endorsement of the UM3X's and ordered them for comparison, intending to keep whichever IEM worked best for me.  UM3X they shipped me had a defective left monitor.  Sent it back.  Also in that time I bent the 535 nozzle trying to change the tip.  So I had to send that back as well for replacement.  (btw: earphonesolutions.com has been excellent in working to help me.).

Got the 535's back and sound was still amazing.  Though I did find I needed to play with the EQ settings to boost the low-end, I was still amazed at the clarity, detail, separation and presence in my head of the sound.

Got the UM3X's back and man, the bass was just everywhere.  All in the voices, in high-end instruments, there was a general low-mid emphasis on everything that was not a good thing.  But definitely more bass overall - thumped in my ears.  
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />  So I decided to keep the 535's.

But freakin' music_4321's post and endorsement kept bugging me.  
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="http://files.head-fi.org/images/smilies//smily_headphones1.gif" title="
smily_headphones1.gif
" width="" />  So I ordered a THIRD pair of UM3X's and guess what: they're different.  They're very nice.  Lots of low-end with none of the low-mid intrusion that bugged me.  Now I truly have a 535 competitor.

>>>

So two points: First, to have gotten TWO bad (one defective, one with low-mid intrusion) sets from Westone is kind of weird?  I know they're a great company, etc.  I guess I was just really unlucky - but there is a very noticeable difference in this 3rd set and the 2nd set.

Secondly, I'm really digging these.  There is so much low-end presence.  Very nice.  And that's with the EQ left 'off' on my iPhone4.  Maybe not quite the sparkle of the 535.  Definitely a different sound signature.

>>>

So a big thanks to music_4321.  I love these.  You were SO convinced in the quality of these that I had to give 'em one last try.

And now on to listening to my library again with these and the 535's.  Lots of comparison, A/B'ing.  In a while, I'll let you know which way I go and maybe see if I can sell the other set here on the forum.

Cheers,
Jared

jaredalv,

Thanks for your comments & impressions - glad you seem to have finally found that 'magic' sound on a fully working pair of UM3Xs that I (and others) have been talking about.

And yes, keep those impressions coming!

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #1,284 of 4,022
Damn, I am torn in between the debate of UM3X and SE535 but the finale post from jaredalv seems to have swing things westward, for now. Have to test drive the 2 before plunging my cash on either one. Thank you, music_4321 for the persistent stance on behalf of UM3X. Hopefully my choice will not be a wrong one.

Sep 17, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #1,285 of 4,022

Quote:
Damn, I am torn in between the debate of UM3X and SE535 but the finale post from jaredalv seems to have swing things westward, for now. Have to test drive the 2 before plunging my cash on either one. Thank you, music_4321 for the persistent stance on behalf of UM3X. Hopefully my choice will not be a wrong one.

Well, I'm not used to saying this this often but thank you for your comments.

My "persistent stance", as you put it, mostly stemmed from a) the fact I was fortunate enough to be able to compare directly 4 IEMs (UM3X, SE535, SM3 & my customs (ES3X), and b) because I have noticed how very many comments written here and in other threads seem to me to be way off the mark, and this often being more evident when a new product comes out. If this product, like the SE535, also happens to be very appealing because of its design & construction, then there is, I believe, an even bigger unconscious wish to 'have to like/ prefer' its sound.

But, I'll say this again: there are those who will still genuinely prefer the SE535's SQ over the UM3X. But if it was possible to do a proper blind test where people really didn't which IEM was which to only test SQ, I'm convinced more people would prefer the UM3X.

If you do get the new UM3X (with detachable cable), I hope you get a set that is 100% in good condition -- there seems to be a fault with some sets from the first batch of the new UM3X, see this: http://www.westone.com/warranty

My pair was OK, but I still sent it back to get a replacement as suggested by Westone; they say that even if your new pair seems to be fine, they'll send you a replacement to make sure you have a product that is 100% OK. They'll pay for shipping both ways via FedEx (48hrs to Europe!), who come and collect the UM3X,so there's no need to waste time going to the post office or long delivery times if you happen to live outside the US like I do.

So, keep us posted!

EDIT: Re: FedEx shipping from Europe it's "International Priority Service" (48 hrs) when sending the UM3X to Westone, but "International Economy" (5 days) when shipping replacement. Still, very reasonable shipping times.

Sep 17, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #1,286 of 4,022

Quote:
Is there anyone out there who currently has both, the SE530 and the new versions, to do a direct comparison? 

While I appreciate both Spyro and MacedonianHero's impressions of the 535, from personal experience, I find that "auditory memory" is a very fleeting thing and without direct comparison not as informative.

So...anyone? 

I'm a shure fanboy and have never gotten a chance to try the other high end IEMs like Westons.  I own SE530s but have been disgusted with ruggedness issus compared with E5s I had a while back.  I'm perfectly happy to suffer worse microphonics in exchange for E5 like ruggedness on the cables.

The fact that the cables are replacable is a huge increase in ruggedness as I have gone through several sets of IEMs because the cable eventually goes bad even though the monitors are fine.

Since I use mine with a iPhone, I look forward to the new microphone + volume control instead of merely having microphone + pause/play.

FedEx says the 535s are arriving today
smily_headphones1.gif

TANGENT1: it is not that I don't want to try other high end IEMs, just never had a chance and can't see spending hundreds simply to try something else when I 'm happy with what I have.

TANGENT2: how many folks have gotten ear molds taken?  I would like to give this a try with my 530s/535s.  Currently I use either 3-flange or comply foamies.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM Post #1,287 of 4,022
So I just got my pair in the mail and right out of the box, I love the sound.  Incredible mids and the soundstage is very nice for an iem.  My only negative so far has been trying to change out the stock foam tip.  It took me about 20 minutes to finally get the foam and piece of plastic under it off the nozzle.  I just hope I didn't damage the iems trying to do this
confused_face.gif

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #1,288 of 4,022

Quote:
a pic from shure brochure.

I ordered the bronze model.  The cable above looks like what comes on the E5 (very rugged but more microphonics).

The black cable that came with my bronze model feels just like the SE530 cable.  Likewise, I got the CBL-M+-K iPhone accessory and it also has the softer black (SE530) like cable

pictures below:

As I said before, I actually prefered the E5 cable when a damage cable meant useless IEMs but since bad cables can now be replaced I guess less rugged + less microphonics is probably better.

It does not look as if the iPhone cable is available in the clear style.

Haven't had a chance to listen yet but since I don't have anything other than E5s and SE530s to compare to I probably won't post comments on sound quality.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #1,290 of 4,022

Quote:
So I just got my pair in the mail and right out of the box, I love the sound.  Incredible mids and the soundstage is very nice for an iem.  My only negative so far has been trying to change out the stock foam tip.  It took me about 20 minutes to finally get the foam and piece of plastic under it off the nozzle.  I just hope I didn't damage the iems trying to do this
confused_face.gif

Can't say it enough: freezer for 20 mins when the tips get stuck and they will slip right off.  

(IEM only the messenger!)

:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back