Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Sep 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #1,292 of 4,022
Isn't anyone afraid of putting the drivers in sub zero temperatures.? Not so sure about this fix.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #1,293 of 4,022

Quote:
Isn't anyone afraid of putting the drivers in sub zero temperatures.? Not so sure about this fix.

Only about 2 minutes for me and the ear tips just come right off. I feel it's the lesser of two evils really, that or struggle with them and risk damaging the IEM.

Thermal cycling for electronics isn't too much of an issue as long as it's just a kitchen freezer for about 2-3 minutes and not say a Canadian winter. And you keep the cycles to a minimum...like say 3 or 4 a year. Shouldn't be an issue.

Sep 17, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #1,294 of 4,022
Well the thing is that there shouldn't be a need to have this kinda of fix to take off an earphone tip that is made for this earphone.

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #1,295 of 4,022

With the stock black cables, the cord has the stiff memory material.  The iPhone adapter does not.  I.e. the iPhone cables are like the SE530 cables (except they detach).

I listened to my bass test play list and the 535s sound about the same as the SE530s.  Extremely low register bowed double bass notes are weak but that is par for the course.

Sep 19, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #1,296 of 4,022
Hello music_4321,

What about the quality of those 2 pins connecting the cable to the earphones (which are detachable)? I am just worried that it might easily bend or broken when tugged with force. I have to mention by accident of course as it tends to happen to me.

Seems that the SE535 - gold plated connector is a more superior one.

Please advice and have a great weekend.

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #1,297 of 4,022
^^ The SE535 is stronger in that respect, but I don't see the UM3X cable easily breaking or bending; of course, I cannot guarantee that wouldn't happen if you got them. My customs have the same mechanism as the UM3X and I've had no problems there, but the customs' housings are not made of plastic like the UM3X's but acrylic and, therefore, are more solid. The cable itself is the same.

However, if that really is a big worry for you and something that tends to happen to you rather often, perhaps you might be better off with the SE535s.

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #1,298 of 4,022
I just bought these, I've been a very long time e500 user but the cords on those phones are literally falling apart.  So I thought it was time to upgrade.

I LOVED the e500s.  I really like how shure fixed the cables on the SE535s, but my goodness listening through these is like listening to completely different music than what I'm used to.  The bass is much weaker and the mids are very very pronounced.  I suppose this is actually more balanced that what I'm calibrated to, but at this point I suppose I have off balance preferences.  I've seen people comment on how these compare to the SE530s, but I've never listened to those... can anyone comment on the differences between the e500s and the SE535s?

Listening to music with such strong mids is a little disorienting and tiring for me.  I'm thinking about maybe sending these back.  Can anyone make a recommendation on what other phones a loyal e500 user would like?  Something with replaceable cords?  Or should I wait a little longer to break these in and see if they open up?

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #1,299 of 4,022
You should give the se535 more time. They need like 100hour+ of burning in imho
It's not like se530 or e500 which sound good out of the box and don't change much after that

imo the se535 and the se530 isn't that different

Sep 19, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #1,300 of 4,022

Quote:
I just bought these, I've been a very long time e500 user but the cords on those phones are literally falling apart.  So I thought it was time to upgrade.

I LOVED the e500s.  I really like how shure fixed the cables on the SE535s, but my goodness listening through these is like listening to completely different music than what I'm used to.  The bass is much weaker and the mids are very very pronounced.  I suppose this is actually more balanced that what I'm calibrated to, but at this point I suppose I have off balance preferences.  I've seen people comment on how these compare to the SE530s, but I've never listened to those... can anyone comment on the differences between the e500s and the SE535s?

Listening to music with such strong mids is a little disorienting and tiring for me.  I'm thinking about maybe sending these back.  Can anyone make a recommendation on what other phones a loyal e500 user would like?  Something with replaceable cords?  Or should I wait a little longer to break these in and see if they open up?

The E500 & SE530 are exactly the same IEM, there was a difference in packaging, accessories or something but the IEMs themselves & the sound are identical.

As for the SE535 needing burning-in, I didn't notice any change in SQ -- balanced armature IEMs are not supposed to need any burn-in or maybe just a few minutes, so the sound you hear after 20 minutes or so is the sound you should always be getting -- but what I did notice was that my ears soon got used to the new sound (brain burn-in), but I never liked the overall sound right from the start, specially when I had other IEMs to compare directly to.

Top- tier IEMs with detachable cables I know of: SE535, Westone UM3X, Sennheiser IE8 & Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10. I've tried the first 3 and in order of preference: UM3X, IE8, SE535

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #1,301 of 4,022

Quote:

@nxmehta I know exactly what you mean with regards to the different sound signature of these headphones. i'm giving it a bit of time to decide how I go with these. btw how do the highs on your SE535 compare to the highs on the e500s?

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #1,302 of 4,022
Quote:

@nxmehta I know exactly what you mean with regards to the different sound signature of these headphones. i'm giving it a bit of time to decide how I go with these. btw how do the highs on your SE535 compare to the highs on the e500s?

I think the highs are a bit more clear on the SE535s, but the mids are so pronounced that it's a little hard for me to tell.

Sep 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #1,303 of 4,022
Can anyone comment on how the Sennheiser IE8s compare to the SE535s?  Do they have stronger bass (it seems like you can adjust the bass via a dial)?  I very much prefer warm IEMs.  How is the clarity of the highs and the soundstage?  And the fit?

Sep 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #1,304 of 4,022

Quote:
Can anyone comment on how the Sennheiser IE8s compare to the SE535s?  Do they have stronger bass (it seems like you can adjust the bass via a dial)?  I very much prefer warm IEMs.  How is the clarity of the highs and the soundstage?  And the fit?

IE8 = coloured basshead IEMs.
SE535s = balanced IEMs that go well with everything!

I prefer the SE535s by a large margin (I used to own the IE8s).

With regards to differences between the SE530 (used to own) and SE535s sonically, I would say the bass/mids are pretty identical, the differences lie in the improved treble performance on the SE535s (no longer rolled off) and improved sound stage as well.

Then the construction is a whole lot better on the SE535s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back