Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #1,231 of 4,022
Gonna let em grow on you huh?  Sort of like a fungus.  
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #1,232 of 4,022
Im telling you these do not have the "wow" factor but they really grow on you after a while.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #1,233 of 4,022

Quote:
Im telling you these do not have the "wow" factor but they really grow on you after a while.

I agree but that is just it.  Everything just sounds "correct" from both an accuracy and listening enjoyment perspective and it has you really focusing on the music which is the whole purpose anyway.

Aug 31, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #1,234 of 4,022
fit is a little uncomfortable compared to the 530's - with the hard connectors instead of the soft rubber cord directors, it's sort of hurting my ears in the spots where they hit.  I feel like I need to keep adjusting them.  Maybe they're just not angled right.

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #1,235 of 4,022

Quote:
fit is a little uncomfortable compared to the 530's - with the hard connectors instead of the soft rubber cord directors, it's sort of hurting my ears in the spots where they hit.  I feel like I need to keep adjusting them.  Maybe they're just not angled right.

Yes.
That could be it... Kind of fat and heavy too... like it's owner.
redface.gif

Aug 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #1,236 of 4,022
Returned the UM3x yesterday, Monster MD arrived today. And WOW the bass is so beautiful. I think i might be done with IEMs now :D Will post some comparisons. But 1 thing I MUST note.. The MDs came with like 18 pairs of tips wow..

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #1,237 of 4,022

Quote:

Thank you for pointing this out. Comfort is a primary consideration. I do not want an IEM that hurts my ears.

Can anyone say the same for the SM3?

Thanks.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #1,238 of 4,022
Quote:
Thank you for pointing this out. Comfort is a primary consideration. I do not want an IEM that hurts my ears.

Can anyone say the same for the SM3?

Thanks.

Every head/ear is different. I find the SE535s more comfortable as they are smaller than the SE530s and the swivel feature makes a big improvement with me.

Aug 31, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #1,239 of 4,022
I find the 535s really really comfortable.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:26 PM Post #1,240 of 4,022
Well I must say that the SE535 is the one IEM I don't mind using the EQ on to boost the bass. These 535 are sounding so good and clear to me, and if they have the same sound sig as the 530, I guess my ears just wasn't ready for Shures then because I don't remember the 530 ever sounding this good. At first I was a little bummed out over the anemic bass in the 535, but the bass isn't on ety HF5 or Fisher DBA level. I've heard way less bass in IEMs and still readily enjoyed them. But I've found giving the bass a nice boost a notch or two on my Sony S545 DAP or setting it on R&B suits me just fine (and as I recall, I use to play the 530 on the R&B setting too).

If I want bass - and a different sound sig - I have it plenty in a BA with the SM2, SM3, and my two dynamics >>> FX700 and DDM. These 535 are keepers for now. When I look at the construction, I think they're keepers forever until Shure does change the sound sig significantly.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #1,241 of 4,022

Quote:
Well I must say that the SE535 is the one IEM I don't mind using the EQ on to boost the bass. These 535 are sounding so good and clear to me, and if they have the same sound sig as the 530, I guess my ears just wasn't ready for Shures then because I don't remember the 530 ever sounding this good. At first I was a little bummed out over the anemic bass in the 535, but the bass isn't on ety HF5 or Fisher DBA level. I've heard way less bass in IEMs and still readily enjoyed them. But I've found giving the bass a nice boost a notch or two on my Sony S545 DAP or setting it on R&B suits me just fine (and as I recall, I use to play the 530 on the R&B setting too).

If I want bass - and a different sound sig - I have it plenty in a BA with the SM2, SM3, and my two dynamics >>> FX700 and DDM. These 535 are keepers for now. When I look at the construction, I think they're keepers forever until Shure does change the sound sig significantly.

Glad you like them. I certainly would not call the bass anemic. Look at the Headroom graph of the SE530s (very, very close to my ears with the SE535s)...flat all the way down to 10Hz. More so than many full sized and more expensive headphones.

But no worries, i too enjoy lots of bass from time to time (thus the Westone 3s and Denon D7000s).
smile.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #1,242 of 4,022
kinda came up with a theory..

i think..

since um3x is meant for stage monitor..
its been tweaked to kill sparkle (flavour) and mids / upper mids, since mids and flavour can overshadow micro details.
bass needs a quantity, since low note are not as clear as mid or high notes..therefore the amount should be higher.
that would allow the user to pick up the most details easily with pinpoint accuracy in terms of detail strength and position along the frequency spectrum.
obviously those tweaks would make it sounds dull, and taking treble sparkle and uppermids would definitely give a closed or boxed-in feeling on the sound, suppressed note will sound restricted in the soundstage.. for the sake of absolute positioning perhaps?

to add some more,
the opposite should hold true,
having more mids would drown treble details, clarity and extensions.. but having more mids and treble energy would also make the soundstage feels wider or clearer.. as the case of se535.. maybe. i have only heard and compared both briefly, but do not own them.

Sep 1, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #1,243 of 4,022

Quote:
Glad you like them. I certainly would not call the bass anemic. Look at the Headroom graph of the SE530s (very, very close to my ears with the SE535s)...flat all the way down to 10Hz. More so than many full sized and more expensive headphones.
But no worries, i too enjoy lots of bass from time to time (thus the Westone 3s and Denon D7000s).
smile.gif

I would agree... now. Since I trimmed the Comply's (as described before) these have been consistently good. No longer occasionally good, but solid, every time. They improved the bass, kept the clarity and are a very good fit. So for now, I'm keeping these. They produce a very enjoyable, non-fatiguing sound.

shane

Sep 1, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #1,244 of 4,022
The SM3 bi flange grey tips did the trick for me with the 535s. And if I ever want a more bass heavy phone I have my MD to cover me now.

Sep 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #1,245 of 4,022
I use that tip on my 535 too. It gives the most bass before eq-ing...

Quote:
The SM3 bi flange grey tips did the trick for me with the 535s. And if I ever want a more bass heavy phone I have my MD to cover me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back