Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
May 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #3,091 of 4,022

+1 Headphone Lounge cables. I will be buying my new cable from Ted once I get the cash & my iem replaced. Still waiting for an email from SFM.. sigh. Our service lady is on vacation so I can't get our inside contact to expedite the process.

May 15, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #3,092 of 4,022
I picked up the 535 red special edition about a week ago now and it's probably the best iem I've heard to date. Which includes the w4r. I'm not putting down the w4r I just like the 535 reds better. The bass is great. Tight and fast and very accurate. The mids are great like the se535 ,, which I have had two pairs of. The highs are more sparkly then the se535 . They ain't as soft that's for sure. And there is more detail and better seperation. :) I don't know I'm loving these things. I'm not to sure it's really worth the extra 500 bucks or so to go to the 846. Or the w60 when they come out or if they are already out. All these companies have priced me right out of their TOTL stuff. I don't know. After having and hearing these I really don't think it's worth it. Just my opinion though :) great phone .. Very happy listener.

May 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #3,093 of 4,022
I picked up the 535 red special edition about a week ago now and it's probably the best iem I've heard to date. Which includes the w4r. I'm not putting down the w4r I just like the 535 reds better. The bass is great. Tight and fast and very accurate. The mids are great like the se535 ,, which I have had two pairs of. The highs are more sparkly then the se535 . They ain't as soft that's for sure. And there is more detail and better seperation. :) I don't know I'm loving these things. I'm not to sure it's really worth the extra 500 bucks or so to go to the 846. Or the w60 when they come out or if they are already out. All these companies have priced me right out of their TOTL stuff. I don't know. After having and hearing these I really don't think it's worth it. Just my opinion though :) great phone .. Very happy listener.

Pacman,

I am truly happy for you and I agree the SE535 Special Edition is a great IEM. I had mine for over a year before I bought the SE846. To answer your question, is the 846 twice as good as the 535 SE, no.

I love the 846 but the law of diminishing returns tells us that after a certain level it is incremental improvements. From the 535 to the 846 is not night and day and do not let anyone tell you differently. People here on Head-Fi tend to over exaggerate the improvements to justify the greater cost. Do I love my 846, absolutely, would I buy it again also absolutely. However, I still have my 535 Special Editions (when I can steal them back from my wife) and still enjoy them as when I first purchased them.

Rock on Packman and enjoy.

May 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,094 of 4,022
Pacman,

I am truly happy for you and I agree the SE535 Special Edition is a great IEM. I had mine for over a year before I bought the SE846. To answer your question, is the 846 twice as good as the 535 SE, no.

I love the 846 but the law of diminishing returns tells us that after a certain level it is incremental improvements. From the 535 to the 846 is not night and day and do not let anyone tell you differently. People here on Head-Fi tend to over exaggerate the improvements to justify the greater cost. Do I love my 846, absolutely, would I buy it again also absolutely. However, I still have my 535 Special Editions (when I can steal them back from my wife) and still enjoy them as when I first purchased them.

Rock on Packman and enjoy.
Thanks spook76. :) I'm really quit surprised how good these sound. They have defintly tuned these different then the se versions. And your rite the returns of going and spending another 500 bucks or more for say the 846 or whatever TOTL iem just ain't worth it for me anyways. Would I like to have the 846 or w60 or the even more expensive 3003? Sure I would lol I just ain't going to spend that much,,in my opinion these companies have just gone crazy with the pricing of these things. And they have to follow suite. I understand that,,,, I actually found found these like new on here from a fellow hifi'er for 350. ,, anyways thank you and happy listening :)

May 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #3,095 of 4,022
Yesterday I received my Shure SE535 (bronze) IEMs, so I am very much in the initial impressions stage:

• Stupidly took shower at exact moment when postman brought the package requiring signature.  Heard my dogs barking from his ringing the doorbell while I'm in the shower...hopped in car and chased the postman four houses down the street to sign for and retrieve my package;
  • Opened outer box, then for the life of me could not figure out how to get the metal cube box that contains the headphones out of the tight outer box;
  • Spent at least 30 min, armed with mirror, instruction book, iPad looking for pictures on the web, and this thread to try to learn how to insert these silly things!  Taught my dogs several new words in the process.
  • Finally got them in (with the rubber tips that came on them).  Played my customary test piece and marveled at how "shouty" and free from the normally-strong bass line they sounded.  Taught my dogs some more words in my concern.
  • Decided I didn't have a tight fit and decided to try the largest Comply foam tips.  Couldn't get the rubber tips off.
  • Read the extremely useful post by S1rrah ("... A few tidbits/hacks...") that told about placing them in the freezer for 20 min to allow tip removal.  Did so and put the new tips on with success.
  • Listened again.  SOOOOOO much better. Fed my dogs in joy!
  • Ordered the optional cable with in-line iPhone (pause, skip, and volume) control;
  • Continued to listen to all sorts of my music, finding things I'd never heard, reminiscent of when I was trying out my new Grado PS500s a few weeks ago with exclamations of delight;
  • Installed optional cable today, and continuing to listen to these at any possible time.

So like a fine woman, the SE535s must be *wooed,*  not just thrown over your shoulder and carried off! 

So far I most enjoy:

1. The no-nonsense secure sealed fit, aided by the stiff wire that fits over the ear (only true on the cord that came with it... the cord with the remote, though built by Shure, just has floppy wire over the ear... still OK though);
  2. The sense of durability -- these are not going to break (or fall out!)
  3. Most of all.... The Sound! Very highly transparent, very large sound stage, excellent mids and treble, clear, accurate, but somewhat light bass - I am considering the addition of some of the bass-enhancing sleeves.

I have pined for a pair of these for years.  Now, I'm very pleased.

May 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,096 of 4,022
Yesterday I received my Shure SE535 (bronze) IEMs, so I am very much in the initial impressions stage:

• Stupidly took shower at exact moment when postman brought the package requiring signature.  Heard my dogs barking from his ringing the doorbell while I'm in the shower...hopped in car and chased the postman four houses down the street to sign for and retrieve my package;
  • Opened outer box, then for the life of me could not figure out how to get the metal cube box that contains the headphones out of the tight outer box;
  • Spent at least 30 min, armed with mirror, instruction book, iPad looking for pictures on the web, and this thread to try to learn how to insert these silly things!  Taught my dogs several new words in the process.
  • Finally got them in (with the rubber tips that came on them).  Played my customary test piece and marveled at how "shouty" and free from the normally-strong bass line they sounded.  Taught my dogs some more words in my concern.
  • Decided I didn't have a tight fit and decided to try the largest Comply foam tips.  Couldn't get the rubber tips off.
  • Read the extremely useful post by S1rrah ("... A few tidbits/hacks...") that told about placing them in the freezer for 20 min to allow tip removal.  Did so and put the new tips on with success.
  • Listened again.  SOOOOOO much better. Fed my dogs in joy!
  • Ordered the optional cable with in-line iPhone (pause, skip, and volume) control;
  • Continued to listen to all sorts of my music, finding things I'd never heard, reminiscent of when I was trying out my new Grado PS500s a few weeks ago with exclamations of delight;
  • Installed optional cable today, and continuing to listen to these at any possible time.

So like a fine woman, the SE535s must be *wooed,*  not just thrown over your shoulder and carried off! 

So far I most enjoy:

1. The no-nonsense secure sealed fit, aided by the stiff wire that fits over the ear (only true on the cord that came with it... the cord with the remote, though built by Shure, just has floppy wire over the ear... still OK though);
  2. The sense of durability -- these are not going to break (or fall out!)
  3. Most of all.... The Sound! Very highly transparent, very large sound stage, excellent mids and treble, clear, accurate, but somewhat light bass - I am considering the addition of some of the bass-enhancing sleeves.

I have pined for a pair of these for years.  Now, I'm very pleased.

Try search for the acoustic damper thread for the SE535s. Changing the dampers to brown / 1000 ohm seemed to make them a little more bassy

edit: now that I'm home, here's the link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/663273/se530-535-acoustic-filter-mod-more-sq-improvement-than-cables-dampers

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

May 18, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #3,097 of 4,022
How much do cables really make a difference? I am considering the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. 

May 18, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,098 of 4,022
How much do cables really make a difference? I am considering the Moon Audio Silver Dragon. 

I have yet to be persuaded by the gospel of St. U-Need-My-Cable that that will improve my sound. But the Shure SE535 Bronze comes with a cable that has stiffeners to improve placement of the earbuds, but no iPhone in-line remote. The added cable I bought adds that remote, but at the expense of those stiffeners. No change in sound.

May 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #3,099 of 4,022
Quote from Tyll Hertsens (11/2012)...

"I wouldn't call the 535 analytical or strident at all. It's pretty much my favorite generic fit IEM, and I would say it's about as similar to the 600/650 as IEMs get."

Does anyone else agree with this?  

The HD600/650 are my favorite full-size cans so that is high praise indeed. I have narrowed down my choices to the SE535 or one of the new Westone models (which are confusing as hell).

May 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #3,100 of 4,022
Quote from Tyll Hertsens (11/2012)...

"I wouldn't call the 535 analytical or strident at all. It's pretty much my favorite generic fit IEM, and I would say it's about as similar to the 600/650 as IEMs get."

Does anyone else agree with this?  

The HD600/650 are my favorite full-size cans so that is high praise indeed. I have narrowed down my choices to the SE535 or one of the new Westone models (which are confusing as hell).

Hd650s and SE535s are my babies. :D I think they compliment each other well

May 23, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #3,101 of 4,022
My HD650s were my favourites before I sold them off. I paired them with a darkvoice tube amp. I compared them to other over ear phones like beyer and they won out. I bought the SE535 because they are meant to replicate the Sennheiser sound the most in IEM form. I'm happy with them. I'm using the grey damper mod and an HRT microstreamer and this is a great setup for me. The yellow tips are also my favourite. I think they sound just a tad bit better than the olive tips for whatever reason.

May 26, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #3,102 of 4,022
I have a pair of Shure 535 Model SE-535 CL bought them January, 2014. Those are the Middle East model which does not come in metal case but a normal case. I want to know how much those will sell. 
I bought another pair which is Westone W4R which i liked more than the Shure 535 so i want to sell the Shure but i wanted to know how much they will sell. 

Note:  used them for around a month only.

Thanks and Best Regards

May 28, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #3,103 of 4,022
You could probably get $300-350 for them.... maybe $400 if you're lucky but I've seen new on sale for about that price. 

After using the knowles brown dampers for the longest time, and switching to the grey dampers when I got my replacement earbud, I've completely fallen in love with me SE535's again. They get me moving now :wink:

May 30, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #3,104 of 4,022
u9uvana5.jpg

Both hd650 and se535 share delicious mids if you're still wondering

May 30, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,105 of 4,022
so I got my red 535's yesterday

on first impressions, quite a nice upgrade from my razer brand earbuds haha

(sorry, please bear with my noobie lingo)
pros:
mids and highs are really clear and defined
highs, mids, and lows don't seem to have any "overlap" in sounds
bass has thickness
very detailed, I hear new things on almost every song on every repeat
sound stage is large, and separation is good and detailed (depending on the recordings xD)
comfort in ear is alright, still getting used to this new style of IEM's, you kinda forget its there after 10-15 mins in

cons:
bass seems to be lacking a tiny bit, doesn't have the rumble or punch I was sort of expecting
(I will re-evaluate this after some burn in time)
cord around the top of the ear doesn't stay too well, will come loose when I turn my head
even though I don't feel the IEM's in my ear, I do feel the cable most of the duration the IEM's are in my ear
foam tips are a hassle to remove, and a hassle waiting for it to expand

this my 2 cents for the first few hours of listening to these
any idea how I can increase the punch on the bass?
and any good recommendations for the ear tips? im currently using the soft pad ones (foam was weird, and triple F didn't fit for me)

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back