Shure SE535: Reviews and First Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #2,221 of 4,022

Quote:

First impression, after listening to just two songs, is that they sound great.  Very warm to my ears.  But the left side has a rattle if I lightly tap on it.  I removed the cable and the tip to verify that its coming from within the earphone itself.  Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Sorry mate ... haven't heard that phenomenon when tapping the housing...

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #2,222 of 4,022
If it's a crackling, it's most probably due to driver flex. I've (unfortunately) experienced a good deal of it with my FXT90 and TFTA 1V.

Nov 11, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #2,223 of 4,022

Quote:
Sorry mate ... haven't heard that phenomenon when tapping the housing...

I've had a cut-out with two sets of SE535. It was a cable/connector issue. I live close to Shure's HQ and a cable exchange was the fix.

Nov 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #2,224 of 4,022

Quote:
I've had a cut-out with two sets of SE535. It was a cable/connector issue. I live close to Shure's HQ and a cable exchange was the fix.

But I hear it even with the cable disconnected.  It could be the jack for the cable, but that would still require repair/replacement of the earphone itself.

Nov 19, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #2,225 of 4,022
Anyone with SE535-CL who could post pictures of how they look together with blue/red Comply Tips T-100?

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #2,226 of 4,022
Are these a good upgrade for someone who really likes their Shure E4c's?

Edit:  Also, what are people doing to reduce the sensitivity of the SE535's?  The E4c's are 109dB/mW efficient and they reveal background hiss in a lot of gear.  The SE535's are 10dB more efficient at 119dB/mW.  I shudder to think how much worse they'd be.  Is everyone using the inline volume control to dial them back?

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #2,228 of 4,022

Quote:
All SE535's are detachable versions???

shure, they all do! 
L3000.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2,229 of 4,022
agred!  :wink:

Quote:
I just received my pair of SE535's today and have listened for a while now...

As a very long time fan/user of the SE530's, I can honestly confirm that the sound signature is indeed a bit different than the 530's... albeit, not too drastically so.

Like the 530's before them, the 535's are on the warmish side, even a bit moreso than the 530's, I think.

Also, the bass is definitely more pronounced/up front...not in an exagerrated way but certainly ticked up in the mix over the 530's more neutral bass. In fact, for most music, I no longer feel the need to use my Arrow amps bass boost in the least as the 535's default signature sounds about like the 530's with the Arrows bass boost enabled (setting 1). The bass is without a doubt of the same flavor as the earlier 530's, but there's more of it. 

The treble/highs is as well slightly more present; this is a welcome change in my book.

And finally, strangely enough because I had doubts about this, the sound stage/spatial qualities of the sound are ever so slightly improved as well. 

All in all, I'm pleased. The slightly different tuning will take some getting used to as my brain still expects the super flat/neutral tone of the 530's but in the end, I think the 535's, though employing the same drivers as the 530's, is nonetheless a slightly bit more refined design than is the earlier Shures... 

And the detachable cables are awesome.

Rock.

.joel

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #2,230 of 4,022

Quote:
agred!  :wink:

Quote:
Are these a good upgrade for someone who really likes their Shure E4c's?

Edit:  Also, what are people doing to reduce the sensitivity of the SE535's?  The E4c's are 109dB/mW efficient and they reveal background hiss in a lot of gear.  The SE535's are 10dB more efficient at 119dB/mW.  I shudder to think how much worse they'd be.  Is everyone using the inline volume control to dial them back?

Oh yè!  i have own the e4c few years ago. have the se535v and also se425c and thet beat that e4c.. go for it dude!  
wink_face.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #2,232 of 4,022

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.  FWIW, I ended up going with the Westone 4's instead of the SE535 after a lot of thread reading in this section of Head-Fi.  We'll see if I made the right choice or not.

I owned both for quite a long time, but in the end, I had to part with one of the two to help subsidize my LCD-3s.....needless to say, I kept the Westone 4s. I think you made the right choice.
smile.gif

Dec 9, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #2,233 of 4,022
Well well well, finally I got my SE535's after waiting like three weeks on them. I'm amazed how forward the mids are, as expected, really liking the soundstage as well. The bass is not overwhelming, I got the iPhone on Bas reduction EQ setting and it works very well. Tho I used SonicMaxPro earlier with my Miles Davis Trumpet, I didn't feel the improvement with the SE535's.

EDIT: Still waiting for my Pico Slim and custom cable done by Chris_Himself, I'll write a new post then.

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2,234 of 4,022
I'm a long time Shure fan and have invested a lot of £££'s into the brand - no more., E2/E4/E530 & E535.  I've never been enamoured by them and have sold each after 6months or so. I'll be honest I got sucked in by the hype from reading threads on Head-Fi etc.  The build quality and soundstage of the E535 was the best out of all of them - very happy with that aspect.  It's a toss up on the bass between 530 & 535, both are Bass light, don't buy these IEM's if you like Bass as you will be dissapointed - strokes DT770's & JLF113. 

I want to go custom, however my concerns are price/performance, what IEM can give me something approaching the Bass of my 770's?

All in my opinion of course, each to their own.

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2,235 of 4,022
Just got the Shure 535 after using the 500's for several years. Ergonomically this are superior. Once you get them set in your ear, they feel comfortable and have a better fit than I achieved with the 500s. They just dont stick out as far :) which is a good thing!
My initial impression is that the soundstage separation is improved and that the midrange is more pronounced.
Can't wait to see if I can get better isolation during air travel. I'll find out next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back