Show us your vintage headphones!
Aug 24, 2012 at 5:08 AM Post #346 of 3,137
Quote:
Hm that makes sense. 

If I find a pair of these I might play around with them to see if they can be driven without the converter box. This would of course involve reterminating them so I wouldn't suggest trying anything yourself, I can tell you really like this set.

That will not work with an electret. Don't even bother trying...
Some info http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electret_Driver_Principle
(Feel free to add photos etc about your headphones to the wiki)

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #347 of 3,137
Quote:
That will not work with an electret. Don't even bother trying...
Some info http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Electret_Driver_Principle
(Feel free to add photos etc about your headphones to the wiki)

What a shame, I saw a pair of these for sale last night(without the energizer) and if they would work without the energizer I would buy them...

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #349 of 3,137
Quote:
Who had just the cans for sale? What did they want for them?

<pix snip>
The guts

They're on eBay for $100. Since they're useless without the transformer box I don't see it selling anytime soon, because that's a pretty high pricetag, especially for a vintage can. However I do know you're looking for a second set in case yours finally give out, so I PM'd the link to you.

But, seeing that, There's just two transformers, and it doesn't plug into the wall... that's weird. To be honest I've never seen anything with a transformer in it that didn't plug into a wall outlet, and I've been dealing with electronics for upwards of 13 years. This has me stumped.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #350 of 3,137
Since it doesn't need an additional bias charge like full biased stats( the electret stats are permanently polarized diaphragms )   all it needs is the current off the speaker terminals.
 All dedicated electret adapters should only run off the terminals, even some Stax adapters for the Full bias do ( SB- Self Bias Adapter models ).

You will also be able to find similar drivers I think in the Playback 80 models of electrets( same housing anyhow ), and there is even another one  I'll go get pics Audiotronic - model LSH 50 yep.
 SO there's more to look for. Always ask about channel imbalance in the right/left volume and if so how much. BUT honestly if it's a reasonable price just the idea of having spare driver(s) at this point would be nice.

Pretty sure, well mostly, well maybe
cool.gif
that it was Telephonics that made the things for others, they ended up doing military Aerospace stuff later on and currently unless my mind is playing tricks on me. Pics from an auction recently, not mine.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #351 of 3,137
Aug 25, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #352 of 3,137
These remind me of the difference in sound between say digital and analog or CD & Vinyl. They sound great on songs that use equipment like the old Emu samplers or 12bit. Its a darker old school sound. I have not modified mine they are very nice sounding as is.

I have actually used these for mixing without bad results.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #353 of 3,137
Quote:
Since it doesn't need an additional bias charge like full biased stats( the electret stats are permanently polarized diaphragms )   all it needs is the current off the speaker terminals.
 All dedicated electret adapters should only run off the terminals, even some Stax adapters for the Full bias do ( SB- Self Bias Adapter models ).

You will also be able to find similar drivers I think in the Playback 80 models of electrets( same housing anyhow ), and there is even another one  I'll go get pics Audiotronic - model LSH 50 yep.
 SO there's more to look for. Always ask about channel imbalance in the right/left volume and if so how much. BUT honestly if it's a reasonable price just the idea of having spare driver(s) at this point would be nice.

Pretty sure, well mostly, well maybe
cool.gif
that it was Telephonics that made the things for others, they ended up doing military Aerospace stuff later on and currently unless my mind is playing tricks on me. Pics from an auction recently, not mine.

Thanks for the info. What is the imbalance problem you mention? One side does not play at the same level as the other I am guessing. Is this caused by the transformers going bad or some other problem?

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #354 of 3,137
Quote:
They're on eBay for $100. Since they're useless without the transformer box I don't see it selling anytime soon, because that's a pretty high pricetag, especially for a vintage can. However I do know you're looking for a second set in case yours finally give out, so I PM'd the link to you.

But, seeing that, There's just two transformers, and it doesn't plug into the wall... that's weird. To be honest I've never seen anything with a transformer in it that didn't plug into a wall outlet, and I've been dealing with electronics for upwards of 13 years. This has me stumped.

Thanks for sending the PM but I did not get it.

Could the transformers just be step down or maybe just like a big choke to drop the voltage down from the speaker terminals? Would step downs need wall power to work? I don't really know much about electric stuff.

Aug 25, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #355 of 3,137
Quote:

Thanks for sending the PM but I did not get it.

Could the transformers just be step down or maybe just like a big choke to drop the voltage down from the speaker terminals? Would step downs need wall power to work? I don't really know much about electric stuff.

Well it could either knock the voltage down or bring it up. My guess is the latter because the electrostatic principle requires high voltage. One way to test would be to use a multimeter on the leads from the speaker terminals and on the output from the transformers to see which is higher. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #356 of 3,137
Hey now, this thread is losing its life force again. Keep it alive!

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #357 of 3,137
radA21DF092007427.JPG

not my picture but i got these about a month ago, my aunt has a whole bunch of my grandmas stuff in her garage and let me have them.
They sound pretty decent, not even any crackling on the volume adjustors, but my god are they uncomfortable, maybe a future DIY project

Users who are viewing this thread

Back