Show us your vintage headphones!
Aug 23, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #331 of 3,143
Quote:

II just think they look like some one murdered the design team halfway though production and they had to slap a few other parts from different headphones on it to hold it together.

That's my LCD-1 on that picture :)

All LCD1 owners got a huge discount on the LCD2, so it ended up being very cheap (for the people who also bought an LCD2, that is).
Great sound cheap. Just like vintage headphones should be. (Except that this time it was amazing sound, cheap)

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #332 of 3,143
Quote:

That's my LCD-1 on that picture :)

All LCD1 owners got a huge discount on the LCD2, so it ended up being very cheap (for the people who also bought an LCD2, that is).
Great sound cheap. Just like vintage headphones should be. (Except that this time it was amazing sound, cheap)

Wow, you have an LCD-1? I'm so envious. I've been keeping an eye out for them on the internet for a long time and nothing has ever come up.  I'd really like to own Audez'es first headphone. Why oh why did they have to limit it to 25 units...

Aug 23, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #333 of 3,143
Quote:
There's a picture floating around somewhere of those headphones where the Audeze logo on the side has been replaced by another logo; presumably that of (one of) the original brand(s).

This one? 

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #334 of 3,143
Aug 23, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #335 of 3,143
Nady QH560. There strangely isn't anything about them here, but they've been around for a while.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #336 of 3,143
oops wrong post srry  but thanks for reminding me about the NADY looks like it may work for a project shell!

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #337 of 3,143
Quote:
Nady QH560. There strangely isn't anything about them here, but they've been around for a while.

Well then, I'll just have to be the guinea pig and buy a set myself. I'll make sure to post about them.

Aug 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #338 of 3,143
Telephonics TEL-111.

I have used these for about 30 years now. My old man bought them back in the mid 70s or so. I love them and they sound amazing still. The transformer is starting to go bad so if any one knows a source for a set of these I am all ears.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #339 of 3,143
Quote:
Telephonics TEL-111.

I have used these for about 30 years now. My old man bought them back in the mid 70s or so. I love them and they sound amazing still. The transformer is starting to bad so if any one knows a source for a set of these I am all ears.

Looks like its just a converter box, like what was made for the SE-500s. Does it plug into speaker taps?

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #340 of 3,143
Yes it hooks up to the left and right speaker jacks on the amp. All it has in side are two transformers and a few small caps. Also two fuses.

I have tried a bunch of the newer cans and they just do not do it for me like these do. The sound stage is huge with these, almost like being in a big room with good speakers.

Maybe I will look into a modern set.

Edit to add...   My old man always called the box the transformer. Said it upped the voltage enough to drive the phones.  

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #341 of 3,143
 unplug it first if it has a power cable and don't touch anything just in case.
 Take some closeup pictures of the adapter box interior construction for people to look at maybe that will help figure it out.

Those sets come up very infrequently from what I have seen anyhow it's too bad you didn't post up  a few weeks ago there was some for sale then but the auction is over.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #342 of 3,143
Quote:
Yes it hooks up to the left and right speaker jacks on the amp. All it has in side are two transformers and a few small caps. Also two fuses.

I have tried a bunch of the newer cans and they just do not do it for me like these do. The sound stage is huge with these, almost like being in a big room with good speakers.

Maybe I will look into a modern set.

Edit to add...   My old man always called the box the transformer. Said it upped the voltage enough to drive the phones.  

If it doesn't plug into the wall outlet it's almost certainly just a converter. However, if it DOES plug into the wall, then they might be an electrostat... do you know anything about them technology-wise?

Could you unplug the box and take a look inside for us? I'm really interested in this set.

EDIT: Just found some info. Looks like they're an Electret headphone, which is like an electrostat but requires significantly less voltage to drive than electrostats. Probably why the soundstage is huge. The converter box seems to be one of those things that's commonly lost, I've seen a couple on eBay before, but neither had the box with the headphones. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #343 of 3,143
Quote:
 unplug it first if it has a power cable and don't touch anything just in case.
 Take some closeup pictures of the adapter box interior construction for people to look at maybe that will help figure it out.

Those sets come up very infrequently from what I have seen anyhow it's too bad you didn't post up  a few weeks ago there was some for sale then but the auction is over.

I will try to get some pics up Friday eve sometime. The box is a PITA to open but I will get some pics up for you guys to look at.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #344 of 3,143
Quote:
If it doesn't plug into the wall outlet it's almost certainly just a converter. However, if it DOES plug into the wall, then they might be an electrostat... do you know anything about them technology-wise?

Could you unplug the box and take a look inside for us? I'm really interested in this set.

EDIT: Just found some info. Looks like they're an Electret headphone, which is like an electrostat but requires significantly less voltage to drive than electrostats. Probably why the soundstage is huge. 

Yes you are correct, I just got off the phone with the old man and he said the "transformer" dropped the voltage from the source to drive the phones. I had it backwards.

I do not know much tech about them. My old man says they have a membrane of some type that is the driver.   

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #345 of 3,143
Quote:
Yes you are correct, I just got off the phone with the old man and he said the "transformer" dropped the voltage from the source to drive the phones. I had it backwards.

I do not know much tech about them. My old man says they have a membrane of some type that is the driver.   

Hm that makes sense. 

If I find a pair of these I might play around with them to see if they can be driven without the converter box. This would of course involve reterminating them so I wouldn't suggest trying anything yourself, I can tell you really like this set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back