Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Aug 19, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #14,761 of 41,133
Quote:
Yeah, vintage receivers seem quite nice. The only problem I notice is that the output impedance is usually quite high, around 50 ohms or so, so they won't work very well with headphones like Grados and the Amperior almost as a rule.

Very true. That's why I mentioned orthos and hard to drive hp's. Some of the receivers like the sx-1280 have a -20db button that effectively filters the "hiss" from hp's like the hd650. 

Part of the fun for me is the hunt. It can be addictive though. The sx-1280 sells on ebay for $800-$1300 depending on condition. I paid $450 plus got a nice set of large Advent speakers as part of the deal. Now that's some good fun!!

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #14,762 of 41,133
Quote:
I'm into vintage receivers to drive hp's now. They offer the ability to drive orthos and hard to drive hp's with power and finese often at pennies on the dollar for what you'll pay for today's desktop amps. Of course there are drawbacks. They are often the size and weight of a mini fridge...well, not quite but close. There is no warranty so there can often be some DIY involved. But even at the purchase price plus plus a full restoration you can come out less than a lyr with nice tubes. 

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think that the 70 vintage look is just sweet. 
size]

when i lived in helen, a friend was cabin sitting , and when the owners sold the place, they left a bunch of stuff there, and told my friend she could have any of the stuff left, one thing they left was a pioneer , forget the model # vx, vsx 390, maybe 3390 , whatever it was, i looked it up, it was a mid, to late 70's , i snagged it, it was pretty dusty inside, but i got it pretty clean, it work, i ended up giving it to someone

Aug 19, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #14,764 of 41,133
Quote:

Very true. That's why I mentioned orthos and hard to drive hp's. Some of the receivers like the sx-1280 have a -20db button that effectively filters the "hiss" from hp's like the hd650. 

Part of the fun for me is the hunt. It can be addictive though. The sx-1280 sells on ebay for $800-$1300 depending on condition. I paid $450 plus got a nice set of large Advent speakers as part of the deal. Now that's some good fun!!

FYI~

Vintage receivers? We're feelin' the love... 
wink.gif
 way out west. My HD650 exhibits no hiss when paired with the Sansui G-22000 or Pioneer SX-D7000 without the -20db Audio Muting engaged.

That, and I've a mini-fridge smaller/lighter 
tongue_smile.gif
 than the G22k.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #14,766 of 41,133
Quote:
Yeah, vintage receivers seem quite nice. The only problem I notice is that the output impedance is usually quite high, around 50 ohms or so, so they won't work very well with headphones like Grados and the Amperior almost as a rule.

I must be the luckiest guy there is because I hear no hiss, never have heard a hiss, nada, zilch from any headphone out of 5 different vintage receivers/amps.  Never had to use the audio attenuator switch to reduce the db.  Multiple easy to drive headphones in the mix as well and they all sound good.  I have no concerns over output impedance........what exactly is the difference with Grados that cause a "problem"? 

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #14,768 of 41,133
And here's station 2..................HP Laptop feeding a FiiO D-3 amp/dac, using only the dac with a line out to the Kenwood KA-5700 vintage integrated amp.  Feeds headphones (here the D600's) and/or Cerwin Vega bookshelf speakers (4 total, with 2 under the desk). 

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #14,770 of 41,133
I have the same exact sound card. Do you feel they are inadequate to drive high impedance headphones without an amp?

It absolutely depends on the headphones. It didn't drive my 300ohm 580's poorly, but not great either. It has plenty of power for my X1's, but they sure sound a lot better out of the Starlight :)

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #14,771 of 41,133
My Modi evolved, and my listening station has reached The Endgame. Went all out and got it with Uber and USB. It is mindblowing. My desk at work is now even moreso one of my favorite places to be.

This is absolutely beautiful, especially with the beyer's. one of the best looking phones IMHO

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #14,772 of 41,133
I have no concerns over output impedance........what exactly is the difference with Grados that cause a "problem"? 

Grados universally have very low impedances, which is why I used them as an example. Using a low impedance headphone sensitive to output impedance (I've read that headphones like the ones made by Denon, despite low impedance, are not susceptible to this problem, so YMMV) on a high-impedance output means improper driver damping, which can mean loose, uncontrolled bass, frequency response colorations, and distortion in general.

If anyone else can elaborate on this better than I can, feel free to step in... I am by no means an authority on this subject.

Aug 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM Post #14,773 of 41,133
Quote:
It absolutely depends on the headphones. It didn't drive my 300ohm 580's poorly, but not great either. It has plenty of power for my X1's, but they sure sound a lot better out of the Starlight
smily_headphones1.gif

Sweet! That's a sick looking Amp, though! I have the Sound Blaster Z and I'm looking into getting the AKG Q701 soon. It looks like you game with your system. BF3 by any chance?

Aug 20, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #14,774 of 41,133
Sweet! That's a sick looking Amp, though! I have the Sound Blaster Z and I'm looking into getting the AKG Q701 soon. It looks like you game with your system. BF3 by any chance?

Yep, it's the only game I play regularly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back