Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 6, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #10,922 of 41,110
Had a 2270 for awhile myself. My favorite vintage gear. Old Pioneers didn't match up, IMO.

Quote:
Not really my place to respond, but that's a Marantz 2230 stacked on top of a 2220 (30 and 20 wpc respectively).  I've got a 2270 on the bench at home.  Great receivers.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #10,923 of 41,110
ahhh beautiful AT-705. Have a NOS one here also. Love the thing.

And an SR-80 too I'd say you are doing pretty good so far there.
Nice picture. Thanks for posting

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #10,924 of 41,110
Quote:
Hey guys just started getting into headphones in the past couple months. Figured I would put up a couple pictures

Not all of my audio stuff but a good amount of it

Love the look of that Marantz, have always had a thing or so for the clean, retro looks of Luxman, Marantz and McIntosh gear.

Also see a few vintage electret goodies, SR-80's? and a AT electret? forgot the model. Say what do you like about those SR-80's?

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #10,926 of 41,110
Quote:
Hey guys just started getting into headphones in the past couple months. Figured I would put up a couple pictures

Not all of my audio stuff but a good amount of it

Great photos and great gear in general, but you gotta love vintage receiver glory.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #10,927 of 41,110
Quote:
Just started? *Shudder* I hate to think where you'll end :p

Haha! I tend to get a little carried away in my hobbies. Did the same with cars, motorcycles, speakers and now headphones lol
Quote:
I normally don't quote photos, so please mind me on this one. I would love to see a full photograph of your loudspeakers (despite this being a headphone station thread).  What are they and what Marantz receivers are those as well.

Here's some quick pics I just took of the speakers. They are KEF Fivetwo model 11's 

Quote:

Love the look of that Marantz, have always had a thing or so for the clean, retro looks of Luxman, Marantz and McIntosh gear.

Also see a few vintage electret goodies, SR-80's? and a AT electret? forgot the model. Say what do you like about those SR-80's?

Thanks for the great comments guys! I love Marantz receivers and the headphone out on them is fantastic.  The SR-80's are fantastic, they are very open and have a wonderful soundstage. I love listening to live recordings on them and am constantly playing Daft Punk Alive 2007, it just sounds so real as if I was there in the crowd.  The AT-705's are great electrets as well and have a fantastic high end. I think my next purchase will be either a dac or a set of Stax electrostatics, haven't quite decided yet. It doesn't help looking at all of your rigs! lol

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #10,929 of 41,110
Heya,

Most recently primary setup that I'm enjoying.

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2, tube pre-amp output to the Little Dot MK III, pre-amp out to the Emotiva a-100 mini-X. Outputs to a recabled Hifiman HE-500, cable is balanced XLR to 4x banana plugs, sheathed braided cable by Brian over at BTG Audio.

Butter. Syrup. And beautiful.

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:34 PM Post #10,930 of 41,110
Quote:
Heya,

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2, tube pre-amp output to the Little Dot MK III, pre-amp out to the Emotiva a-100 mini-X. Outputs to a recabled Hifiman HE-500, cable is balanced XLR to 4x banana plugs, sheathed braided cable by Brian over at BTG Audio.

Very best,

And of course a pic from Mal wouldn't be complete without a tobacco pipe. :D

Great looking HE-500. They look a lot more comfy than the stock ones. :wink:

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #10,931 of 41,110
Quote:

SO. MUCH. AMPAGE. 0_0 I would love to hear that setup. How warm is it in relation to the HE-500's normal sound sig? 

Feb 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #10,932 of 41,110
Quote:
Heya,

Very best,

Awesome setup, how do you like the D2?I've been looking at dac options and its one of my top pics. I love Emotiva gear, great choice

Feb 6, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #10,933 of 41,110
Quote:
SO. MUCH. AMPAGE. 0_0 I would love to hear that setup. How warm is it in relation to the HE-500's normal sound sig? 

It's actually just a lot of volume control and tubiness. The HE500 is already on the warm side of neutral, like almost all of Hifimans' HE series. The warmth from the D2 alone is nice, it's not a big difference, but a nice little tube pre-amp out stage that is adding some butter to it all. The LDMK3 OTL acting as a pre-amp between the D2 and Emotiva is not just adding more tubiness but also giving me a great deal more of volume control on the Emotiva so that I can flex it's muscles even more. The warmth overall is definitely warmer than stock HE500 from a very reference level solid state (such as the O2 which I also have an have tested with). It's about as close sounding to that "speaker sound" that I like as I've found so far.

Quote:
Awesome setup, how do you like the D2?I've been looking at dac options and its one of my top pics. I love Emotiva gear, great choice

I really like the D2. I spent quite some time with it now. But I can't comment on how the DAC chipset sounds compared to another chipset. I don't think my ears can hear micro or nano differences honestly. But I can definitely hear the difference of the tube pre-amp stage of the unit compared to my other solid state DACs with their solid state pre-amp stages. Adding a tube without using a tube amplifier as the main power unit was the point. And as a DAC, otherwise, it performs wonderfully and has all the digital connections I need (usb, coax, optical). It would be near perfect if it just had analog intput as well, but alas, so far most gear is not perfect as it is.

Very best,

Feb 6, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #10,934 of 41,110
Feb 6, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #10,935 of 41,110
Send him a pm about it so we don't drag this thread off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back