Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 14, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #10,533 of 41,103
The EarMax (I had the AE version which this looks like it might be) was a very nice amp but it didn't really synergize well with the L3000 I had at that point so I sold it

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #10,534 of 41,103
Its a strange little amp.  Everyone loves earmax OTL amps with senns.  No disappointment there.  Great extension at the ends of the spectrum and plenty of bass impact without disrupting the Senn house sound in my HD580.  I LOVE it with my koss A250 though.  The OTL tube "tubbyness" work wonders with the A250 upper midrange coloration its a very "FUN" presentation for jazz, vocals and ambient recordings.  Its one of my fave setups Earmax => A250 for stuff like Carmen Lundy, Rene Marie, Diana Krall, Alan Parsons project, Moody Blues stuff like that.

I'm still tweeking around with my Grados.  I think I got it dialed in now though with an impedance adapter.  I only have flat pads though... no bowls which is generally my preference for the added sense of "air" around notes.

The other thing is I ditched the stock power supply long ago.  I am using a 51W (20.5V - 2.5A) military surplus power supply to push it.  The amp seems to strain less at louder volumes.  Even with lower impedance cans.  The OEM wall wart supply runs out of steam earlier in the volume knob sweep.

FWIW I am running a Sylvania ECC81 in between two AEG/Telefunken ECC86 tubes.  I haven't spent much time tube rolling though.  Theres probably some room for improvement there.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #10,539 of 41,103
Quote:
Welcome back Kramer. Been a long time. Still rockin' the Number Cruncher I see. I still have mine as well. First dac I ever purchased. Good times indeed.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YUP!! absolutely rockin'  a Queen data-stream through the Koss A250 as I type this.  There are better DACs, but I just love the OPA2107 this ones been modded with.  Were you the one who bailed me out on my ill-fated DIY?  I can't remember.  If that was you big thanks!!  Its still going strong and sounding better than ever.  Truth is I never really left, I listen to headphones all the time.  But thanks for the warm welcome back.
Quote:

Dido. The first time I clicked into Head-Fi over 5 years ago was in his Kramer Modded KSC75 thread. Good times.

LOL you're not the first to recall all that KSC75 hype, that was a lot of fun.  I think I'll be forever linked to those cheap little silver clips.  and yes I still listen to mine all the time.

thanks for the warm welcome. 

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #10,540 of 41,103
Always nice to see a 16610 :wink:

Quote:

Crummy picture, but whatever. Headphone setup at the front (RS325is to the extreme right, and left is my laptop). Main system is rather obvious lol.

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #10,544 of 41,103
MDCLXVI:  Nice clean system!  BTW...London Fire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back