Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #9,002 of 41,100
Quote:
I wish, would be probably nicer than the poltergeist always tangling my headphone cords

Crap, I have them too!

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #9,003 of 41,100
My setup is now complete for a some time :) Also no that is not how I store my HE6. It was just for the picture.

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #9,004 of 41,100
Quote:
Quote:
The Mjolnir is coming back to me today but I'm not home to pick it up so probably later this week I will be able to try them.

Right now the HD800 is my favorite headphone and pretty much suits me perfectly. The HE-6 I haven't had much time yet since I'm using the D1 dac/amp until my Mjolnir returns but it will have to be realy good to surpass the HD800. When I have a fair comparison which will be with that amp then i will know but it will take something special to surpass the HD800.

I think, in my experience, the only thing the HE-6 significantly passes the HD-800 in is bass.  The HD-800 sounds more open, has better separation, is more comfortable, and goes toe to toe in most other areas.  The only reason I use the HE-6 over the HD-800s is when I want more bass.  Bass aside, the HE-6s are a step above in most areas over the LCD-2.2s when amped properly, but I still prefer the LCD-2s because of the signature Audeze sound and oh, that sweet luscious bass.  I just can't go without it...  If bass was not something I was too concerned with, I'd go with the HD-800s and be done with it.  No second guesses or doubts about it.

Do you have a Gungnir on order? I bet your tune will change about the HD800's bass when you get that dac in your chain. The LCD-2's bass is a bloated fart cannon in comparison.

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #9,005 of 41,100
study set up .... 

MDAC, imac with Amarra, SBT via USB to MDAC (not pictured), wooaudio WA6... Senn HD650, Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables... 

I'm also testing here my newly received audioquest Dragonfly on my macbookpro with amarra .... sounds very decent indeed.... if I could just put a tube buffer inside!!! but wait.. my gobive portatube + does.... :wink: 

Oct 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #9,006 of 41,100
^^
Very nice collection. All great gear...
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #9,007 of 41,100
Quote:

Do you have a Gungnir on order? I bet your tune will change about the HD800's bass when you get that dac in your chain. The LCD-2's bass is a bloated fart cannon in comparison.

Sorry to stray from topic, but I do, in fact.  It hasn't shipped yet but should this week.   Then I will have the Gungnir / Mjolnir stack.  I am looking forward to trying the combo with all of my headphones.  Thanks for your input on what to expect though.

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #9,008 of 41,100
My setup is now complete for a some time :) Also no that is not how I store my HE6. It was just for the picture.

Did you buy your HE-6 used? Because that's the old v1 with heatshrink cable. I hate it, it touches my shoulders. Do you always have both headphones connected?

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #9,009 of 41,100
Quote:
Did you buy your HE-6 used? Because that's the old v1 with heatshrink cable. I hate it, it touches my shoulders. Do you always have both headphones connected?

Yes I got mine used. I don't mind the old cable but I was not aware there were multiple cables. I had originally hoped I could run both at the same time but the two headphones I use with that amp do not have similar specs so one either runs too loud or not loud enough. I just had them both plugged in at the time.

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #9,011 of 41,100
thats a great clean setup.
put those speakers on some cinder blocks or something
im a fan of those pioneers.  Killer small bookshelves.

which senn's are those?

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #9,012 of 41,100
hd 558s; cinderblocks.. are ugly though. I'm trying my hand at some woodworking this winter break with a friend. hopefully it doesn't look like a "5th grade arts and craft project" as he predicts it to turn out as.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #9,013 of 41,100
Oct 10, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #9,014 of 41,100
Quote:
I'm running a pair of those as rear surrounds in my home theater setup. I use these stands:

http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-BF-31B-Speaker-Stands/dp/B00006JQ5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349926045&sr=8-1&keywords=sanus+speaker+stands

They come with plastic feet and carpet spikes.

Thanks for the tip! I just spent like $400 monday so probably won't get those. I think DIY home project would be more fun anyways no matter how poorly it turns out, I like giving stuff a go myself sometimes. If that ends up going bottoms up; well I can always buy a premade one sometime later. 

Edit:

Also, just curious do you use the c21 and fs51's for your surround system or something else? I might upgrade eventually but not sure about what matches with what generally.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #9,015 of 41,100
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! I just spent like $400 monday so probably won't get those. I think DIY home project would be more fun anyways no matter how poorly it turns out, I like giving stuff a go myself sometimes. If that ends up going bottoms up; well I can always buy a premade one sometime later. 

Edit:

Also, just curious do you use the c21 and fs51's for your surround system or something else? I might upgrade eventually but not sure about what matches with what generally.

I actually use a pair of Magnepan MGII's as mains, one Polk Monitor 7C as the center, and the Pioneer BS21's as the rears. Also running a Cambridge Basscube 8. It's a bit of a mix, but it sounds good to my ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

Although, sticking with the Pioneer towers, center, and sub isn't a bad way to go. They sound very good for their price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back