Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #9,016 of 41,215
Quote:

I actually use a pair of Magnepan MGII's as mains, one Polk Monitor 7C as the center, and the Pioneer BS21's as the rears. Also running a Cambridge Basscube 8. It's a bit of a mix, but it sounds good to my ears 
smily_headphones1.gif

Although, sticking with the Pioneer towers, center, and sub isn't a bad way to go. They sound very good for their price point.

Yeah I just think the towers are kinda gross looking to be honest. Well I probably won't be updating for a while this was my splurge purchase along with a pait of m80's. Gotta save up some more for grad school and then many splurge again when there's another good deal haha.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #9,017 of 41,215
ok, finally getting around to posting a picture of my setup.  I just moved into a new place with three friends, and I'm pretty sure my room wins the stereo competition.

Sources:  Technics SL-23 turntable with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge sitting on a sand box, which runs into a Hagerman Buggle phono pre.  PS3, laptop both run into a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic.

All sources run into a 3 in 4 out switch box I made

Speaker Amp:  A Pioneer VSX-D498 that I've had since middle school, that I fixed yesterday, bad rotary encoder on the volume knob.

Speakers:  Tannoy DI6 that I have mounted on some MDF.

Headphone amp:  Beta 22 (3 Channel)

Headphones:  Audio-Technica M-50, Beyer DT-880 Pro (250 ohm), and a crappy turtle beach headset I use for gaming.

Flanked on both sides by my record collection, as well as movies.

It's so nice to be moved in.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #9,018 of 41,215
Very nice! I should probably look into getting a switchbox eventually. How difficult was it to make (I'm a complete electronics noob)

And wow, nice vinyl collection. Well its the first pic I've seem of one so far and its to me its impressive.

Or.. atleast I think those are vinyls right?

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #9,019 of 41,215
The switch box was pretty easy to build, time consuming, but it's a simple idea, signal comes in, goes through a relay, goes out through another one, and the knobs on the front pick which relay gets used.

Yep all vinyl, on the left shelf the top two cubes are metal, second down punk, third down on the right is country.  Top two cubes of the right shelf is pre 90's rock, second shelf down on the right is jazz, blues and post 1990 rock, and below all that on the third shelf down are my punk 7"s.  I'm a bit obsessive about organizing my records, separated by genre, alphabetical and chronological.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #9,020 of 41,215
Oct 11, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #9,021 of 41,215
Quote:

Nice rack! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Did you build it yourself?

Quote:
Love seeing other Maggie owners around head-fi....nice speakers, man! :)

Thanks! Yeah, once you hear planars, it's hard to go back. What do you use to drive yours? I think a power amp is going to be my next upgrade when the money supply allows for it.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #9,022 of 41,215
Quote:

Nice rack! 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Did you build it yourself?

Thanks! Yeah, once you hear planars, it's hard to go back. What do you use to drive yours? I think a power amp is going to be my next upgrade when the money supply allows for it.

Dude, depending on your price range, I'll give you one of the best kept secrets in Maggies...find yourself a used Butler 2250. I have used Butler amps for the past seven years and they are AMAZING with Maggies. BK Butler used to pair with Jim Winey at the larger audio shows like RMAF and CES. His amps are ideal for Maggies because they give you the balls of solid state and are stable down to and below 2ohms, but they also incorporate tubes so you get a very subtle amount of tube influence on the sound.  It's an unbelievable pairing. I was biamping my 3.6s with a 2250 and a 5150 until just recently and everyone who heard my Maggies was just floored. A new 2250 is nearly 3k, but on the used market not many people know about them and you can haggle someone down to around $1200. You'll never need another amp. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #9,023 of 41,215
Quote:

Dude, depending on your price range, I'll give you one of the best kept secrets in Maggies...find yourself a used Butler 2250. I have used Butler amps for the past seven years and they are AMAZING with Maggies. BK Butler used to pair with Jim Winey at the larger audio shows like RMAF and CES. His amps are ideal for Maggies because they give you the balls of solid state and are stable down to and below 2ohms, but they also incorporate tubes so you get a very subtle amount of tube influence on the sound.  It's an unbelievable pairing. I was biamping my 3.6s with a 2250 and a 5150 until just recently and everyone who heard my Maggies was just floored. A new 2250 is nearly 3k, but on the used market not many people know about them and you can haggle someone down to around $1200. You'll never need another amp. 

Yeah, probably looking for something under $1,000. Eyeing the Emotiva XPA-2 (500 wpc at 4 ohms, $799 new), or an Adcom GFA-555 (I've seen them on eBay around $500).

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #9,026 of 41,215
Oct 11, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #9,027 of 41,215
I had a pair of UPA-1s for my MMGs and they definitely did the job. The guy that bought them locally brought his own unit to try and avoid buying the monos with the speakers, but in the end he took the UPA-1s home.

Plus with their new Preamp finally being released...Now's the time to buy.

Quote:

Yeah, probably looking for something under $1,000. Eyeing the Emotiva XPA-2 (500 wpc at 4 ohms, $799 new), or an Adcom GFA-555 (I've seen them on eBay around $500).

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #9,029 of 41,215
Quote:

If you're considering those, I'd strongly recommend adding the Adcom GFA-5802 to your list.  Having heard the XPA-2 for a little while and Adcom 555, 5500, 565, 5800, and 5802 extensively, the 5802 is the winner in my book.  That thing will run at full power at 1 ohm for a day and not blow up.  It's a beast - an absolute beast.  There may be better amps (I've hear a few), but they cost >= 500% more.  I personally run tube amps, but in the budget SS category, I can't give a stronger recommendation.

Oct 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #9,030 of 41,215
Quote:
Man people and their DIY is so impressive; I probably can't even cut wood straight.

Won't know until you try...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back