Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #6,301 of 41,111
Quote:

Yup, a cat named Ben and his son I believe. In person, these examples are very nice. And wood offers an appealing quality about the home as well. 

heck yeah, it's beautiful work...I had some speaker plinths from mapleshade....the finish on them was amazing. Unlike the guy who said he laughs at the catalog and tosses it, I will pretty much listen to anything Pierre wants to tell me about audio. He's one of the most interesting people in audio and even though the music his studio puts out isn't really the type I listen to, the recording quality is just incredible. I have four mapleshade albums and I use them for reference all the time. I wish all artists would record that way...

May 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #6,302 of 41,111
Quote:

heck yeah, it's beautiful work...I had some speaker plinths from mapleshade....the finish on them was amazing. Unlike the guy who said he laughs at the catalog and tosses it, I will pretty much listen to anything Pierre wants to tell me about audio. He's one of the most interesting people in audio and even though the music his studio puts out isn't really the type I listen to, the recording quality is just incredible. I have four mapleshade albums and I use them for reference all the time. I wish all artists would record that way...

Pierre is just the kind of person this hobby needs. While Best Buy has its place in Corporate and Urban/Suburban America, without efforts from the Pierre's of the world, this hobby would be in trouble. 

I'm looking forward to purchasing some of his recordings out of appreciation for his craftsmanship. And none of the titles are grabbing at me! 
biggrin.gif
 Perhaps, you could PM or state the four titles here for me. It would serve as a starting point....thanks.

May 25, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #6,303 of 41,111
Quote:

Pierre is just the kind of person this hobby needs. While Best Buy has its place in Corporate and Urban/Suburban America, without efforts from the Pierre's of the world, this hobby would be in trouble. 

I'm looking forward to purchasing some of his recordings out of appreciation for his craftsmanship. And none of the titles are grabbing at me! 
biggrin.gif
 Perhaps, you could PM or state the four titles here for me. It would serve as a starting point....thanks.

Absolutely! The two I always recommend off the bat are the ARC choir and the Sampler CD, which is called the Mapleshade Music Festival. If you only pick one, go with the Sampler first. The other two I have are the "Best of Mapleshade Vol 1" and one of the "Asante" albums, which is sort of like a one man drum band.  If you've never heard any of his recordings, you're in for a sonic treat...even if you don't care for the music genre, you'll be amazed at the quality of the recording. 

May 25, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #6,304 of 41,111
Quote:

Absolutely! The two I always recommend off the bat are the ARC choir and the Sampler CD, which is called the Mapleshade Music Festival. If you only pick one, go with the Sampler first. The other two I have are the "Best of Mapleshade Vol 1" and one of the "Asante" albums, which is sort of like a one man drum band.  If you've never heard any of his recordings, you're in for a sonic treat...even if you don't care for the music genre, you'll be amazed at the quality of the recording. 

Great! It'll be nice to have something to look forward right after the Memorial holiday weekend.
beerchug.gif

May 25, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #6,305 of 41,111
Quote:

Great! It'll be nice to have something to look forward right after the Memorial holiday weekend.
beerchug.gif

Let me know what you think...I'm glad you asked for suggestions, cause when I get home I'm going to give a listen...been a while since I fired one of them up :)

May 25, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #6,306 of 41,111
May 25, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #6,311 of 41,111
Not bad for a college student, I'd say, eh?
Sorry about the poor picture quality.

I might buy some decent near-field monitors too in the near future.

How are the KRK's compared to your headphones?
I would personally want the a passive monitor though, to save on amplifier costs since I already have a suitable speaker amp.

May 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #6,312 of 41,111
Quote:
I might buy some decent near-field monitors too in the near future.
How are the KRK's compared to your headphones?
I would personally want the a passive monitor though, to save on amplifier costs since I already have a suitable speaker amp.

The KRK's are easily best in their price range if you want to go the powered route.  $500 for the pair.  Really neutral sounding, maybe slightly bass-deficient if you don't have a woofer.  This is totally room dependant, however.  I'd compare them to a DT880 - 600 Ohm if I had to, but it's really hard to compare phones and near-fields.

If you've already got an amp, I might look to some passive monitors like you said, but it is really handy being able to "plug and play" the KRK's anywhere in the house if I'm having people over.  They also get surprisingly loud, which may/may not be important for you.

May 25, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #6,313 of 41,111
The KRK's are easily best in their price range if you want to go the powered route.  $500 for the pair.  Really neutral sounding, maybe slightly bass-deficient if you don't have a woofer.  This is totally room dependant, however.  I'd compare them to a DT880 - 600 Ohm if I had to, but it's really hard to compare phones and near-fields.

If you've already got an amp, I might look to some passive monitors like you said, but it is really handy being able to "plug and play" the KRK's anywhere in the house if I'm having people over.  They also get surprisingly loud, which may/may not be important for you.

Aren't they near fields, meaning that they are not so much room dependent? At least significantly less than normal speakers.

May 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #6,314 of 41,111
Quote:
Aren't they near fields, meaning that they are not so much room dependent? At least significantly less than normal speakers.

True, I was talking about cases where you're playing them louder/not using them strictly as nearfields.  I use them for entertaining a lot, and as such they need a bit of help in the bass department at times (Bigger rooms, non-optimal spacing, etc...).  For personal (read: intended) use, they're great.  

May 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #6,315 of 41,111
Quote:

I'd like to recommend the Tannoy Reveal 501A. I never tried them anything more than out of the headphone jack on my computer (I probably didn't even really know what an external DAC was back then :p) but auditioning them at Guitar Center against the 6 inch KRKs I can say the Tannoys have a lot more treble, like the KRKs sounded like they had no treble in comparison, like not bright but after hearing both I couldn't believe the extra presence with the Tannoys. But like I said I never tried them out in a quality setup, so I don't know how their performance is quality-wise but they had a lot more/better (IMO) treble presence (vocals were more present too, that's probably where I noticed the difference at first, but this is like 2yrs ago keep in mind) and they did get loud! They punched hard, but I doubt they had very deep bass for 5" woofers (I think they're 5 inch anyway), but they were loud :)
Just wanted to toss that out there, and the "a" is for active BTW.

Edit: I just saw on this one review I was skimming for the woofer size that there was a trim switch for the treble, and I don't remember it but maybe that accounted for the difference. Oh well still..if you can try both I'd recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back