Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #6,271 of 41,248
I appreciate the input and the opportunity for an exchange. That said, I notice both of you in the quotes above express phrases (bold type) that suggests what you're thinking. That's great. But, what have you tried inside the listening room? Would love to share in your joy and experiences with this kind of thing. You needn't read very many of my posts on the matter going back 60 days. In any of them, my adventures will be obvious - trying this, that and the  other. Results are like running water, they vary. And above all, it's been fun.

This really is all about tuning, and tuning is definitely not for everyone. Also, what I have discovered with footers, spikes and platforms, is that there is no free lunch. Same could be said when rolling tubes. Your sonic presentation give you anything new? Then it taketh away something on the backside. 

Enjoyed the NFB illustration. Though, it did leave me wondering, if you too, were vibrating while listening for vibrations then....:blink:

Isn't everything about what we're thinking.
Just because you think there is a difference doesn't meant there is one. :wink_face:

But I'll leave my skepticism for another day. Discussing it here has no benefit for either of us, and this will therefore be my last post regarding the matter.

Have fun with your rig. It looks awesome in any case.
:beerchug:

May 24, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #6,272 of 41,248
Quote:

I appreciate the input and the opportunity for an exchange. That said, I notice both of you in the quotes above express phrases (bold type) that suggests what you're thinking. That's great. But, what have you tried inside the listening room? Would love to share in your joy and experiences with this kind of thing. You needn't read very many of my posts on the matter going back 60 days. In any of them, my adventures will be obvious - trying this, that and the  other. Results are like running water, they vary. And above all, it's been fun.

I'm not denying that your experiences are valid.  I've never done any kind of dampening because I don't believe in it, but I suppose that's kind of confirmation bias.  I'm not sure if picking up my NFB, shaking it and wobbling it around is a good enough experiment, but that's what I'm basing my opinion on.  I will, however, be purchasing component feet in the fall when I get the Koss ESP-950 so the NFB can have proper airflow with the E90 on top of it.

May 24, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #6,273 of 41,248
even if dampening does make a difference, i sho ain't payin' $500 for a piece of wood.
and a non-exotic softwood species at that.

sorry, but mapleshade is some overpriced stuff.
no offense intended to their customers.

man, they gotta be making a thousand percent profit on some of that stuff.

i get their catalog.  and i'm not even sure who sold my name to them.  probably audio advisor or music direct or somebody.  but when i get it in the mail, it is opened, laughed at heartily, and then put in the recycling box where it belongs.

May 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #6,274 of 41,248
I've gotten a couple of blocks from this guy, more variety and better prices:
http://www.timbernation.com/mapleplatform_popup.cfm

May 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6,275 of 41,248
Quote:
even if dampening does make a difference, i sho ain't payin' $500 for a piece of wood.

i get their catalog.  and i'm not even sure who sold my name to them.  probably audio advisor or music direct or somebody.  but when i get it in the mail, it is opened, laughed at heartily, and then put in the recycling box where it belongs.

Couldn't agree more, and also ended up with their catalogue without requesting it, prolly via AA. Their music selection has some interesting offerings though.

May 24, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #6,276 of 41,248
I've gotten a couple of blocks from this guy, more variety and better prices:
http://www.timbernation.com/mapleplatform_popup.cfm

If you can sell expensive products like that, why not pay $100 and get a proper looking website?
It always annoys me to see how badly some companies (audio related or otherwise) can just fail at marketing, while it shouldn't be expensive/difficult to do a decent job at it.

May 24, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #6,277 of 41,248
I could get one just because they look great. = )

May 24, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #6,278 of 41,248
Quote:
Isn't everything about what we're thinking.
Just because you think there is a difference doesn't meant there is one.
wink_face.gif

But I'll leave my skepticism for another day. Discussing it here has no benefit for either of us, and this will therefore be my last post regarding the matter.
Have fun with your rig. It looks awesome in any case.
beerchug.gif

Thanks, Tilpo. Seems, this single thought has gotten buried with the amusing comments that followed. The Sound & Science Forum should be the destination for a lot of today's opinions. But this is my view.

What's more, everyone has a different reality and their perspective around it. Being skeptical has its place. And in this hobby, rightfully so. Life really is precious. If you don't like something, move on and try something else....if at all. What, some don't find this hobby to be fun or fun anymore? Passion! I like that in my fellow head-fier's. Though, many tend to misplace their energy, as evidenced by posts. This isn't unique to Head-Fi.

You and others would be hard-pressed to duplicate many of your own listening experiences on a daily basis. Let alone, try to call others out on their experiences. "Prove it!" "Do a test with..." "If you don't do it like this, then it doesn't count" and...
rolleyes.gif
 The mind. Memory and the brain. Emotions. Factors that will leave many with different experiences over the same thing. Throughout one's life. Further, just because someone doubts my shared experiences, doesn't mean I did not have them. 
wink_face.gif

Perhaps, we'll return to our regularly schedule program later today. 
beerchug.gif

May 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #6,279 of 41,248
My new setup in my bedroom:

Dual CS-5000 Turntable>NAD Phono Stage PP-1>Audio-gd Compass in Super mode (amp only, bypassing internal DAC) by RCA>Sennheiser HD650s with stock cable>Me :)

and for digital: My Computer by USB>PS Audio DLIII DAC>Audio-gd Compass in Super mode (amp only, bypassing internal DAC) by cheap RCA cable>Senn 650s>Me :)

May 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #6,280 of 41,248
Quote:

sorry, but mapleshade is some overpriced stuff.
no offense intended to their customers.

man, they gotta be making a thousand percent profit on some of that stuff.

I'm always pulling for the small independents. They really can make a difference in this hobby. Having options is a wonderful thing too. I don't think I'd pay $500 for a piece of wood either. Now, Tea or Champagne on the other hand...
wink.gif

And it really shouldn't matter but, I only paid for the original 2" end-grain Maple block from Bed, Bath & Beyond. And I thought it cost way too much. 

May 24, 2012 at 5:23 PM Post #6,281 of 41,248
Quote:
I'm not denying that your experiences are valid.  I've never done any kind of dampening because I don't believe in it, but I suppose that's kind of confirmation bias.  I'm not sure if picking up my NFB, shaking it and wobbling it around is a good enough experiment, but that's what I'm basing my opinion on.  I will, however, be purchasing component feet in the fall when I get the Koss ESP-950 so the NFB can have proper airflow with the E90 on top of it.

Will you test for optimum airflow? Our hobby was made for exploration.
popcorn.gif

May 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #6,284 of 41,248
Quote:

Will you test for optimum airflow? Our hobby was made for exploration.
popcorn.gif

I've not taken thermodynamics yet, so my scientific perspective is clouded. *wink*
I'm using my Zune in its aluminum case as a heatsink right now, but I think not covering the top vent with an amp/energizer that is known to get extremely hot is a good idea.

May 24, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #6,285 of 41,248
I've not taken thermodynamics yet, so my scientific perspective is clouded. *wink*

I'm using my Zune in its aluminum case as a heatsink right now, but I think not covering the top vent with an amp/energizer that is known to get extremely hot is a good idea.

My vintage amp performs best hot(with something over the vent), but it also has trouble getting going if I don't play something through it for a while(have to crank it and play something a little loud to get it going again). Could just be that the old caps are starting to go, it was only $40 and in it's current state still beats my old Burson so I put up with it's few issues. As for vibration dampening; we must remember that science doesn't have the answers to everything and our knowledge on things is constantly evolving, old theories are being proved wrong almost daily, and the only way to further advance our knowledge is through experimenting. As for me, I'll just remain in the 'ignorance is bliss' category for now. I don't have the money to spend on such things, but my CD player sounded many times better when it was on my amp(and it's airvent) as opposed to my computer desk. I know for a fact my computer is pumping vibrations through the desk as I can see the water in my cup moving whenever the computer is on.
I'd post a picture of my rig and my new cassette deck if I had the camera, but unfortunately it'll have to wait until my dad gets back from his trip. Until then you'll have to live with the stock picture here. :wink:
http://www.vintagecassette.com/tandberg/tcd_300
It's a very good sounding deck, and if you can get past the tape hiss you'll notice a very accurate timbre. I tried a Yamaha 1020 a few weeks back and this deck sounds many times better. Plus it's nice having gear so old that it's not at all computerized. As you start cramming more circuitry in the sound gets more congested, or so I've found at least.

edit: Well, that's interesting. My amp hasn't had any problems all day with the channels going out, maybe my heat theory was right after all. The hottest day of the year so far and my amps working better than ever, can't be a coincidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back