Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Apr 19, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #5,611 of 41,068
Quote:
Left handed person spotted. Btw, does that trackpad right click and middle click if you were to use MagicPrefs?

I was stuck using a Macbook for quite a while and really got used to the trackpad to the point where I purchased the standalone one for my desktop. At this point (Lion), Apple actually supplies most of the gestures I'd ever use with it... except for middle-clicking, which quite a few non-Apple apps use.

I used MagicPrefs briefly but thought it was overkill in terms of customization but most importantly -at the time- wreaked havoc when inside a virtual machine. I also have to work on machines where I don't have permissions to install software or drivers, so I didn't want to become dependent on it.

However for my personal use I found MiddleClick, a tiny selfcontained open source app that does only this one thing (3 fingers to middle-tap or click), without any problems so far in (Snow) Leopard or Lion: http://clement.beffa.org/labs/projects/middleclick/ It can run in userspace, no installation required, just add it to your startup items if desired.

Oh, and recently I had to fix somebody's Windows 7 laptop and it reminded me why I used to hate trackpads and use an external mouse everytime
tongue.gif
Windows 7 is solid, but there are just some UI things that Apple's hardware/software/OS combo works out exceptionally well. OK, time to get back on topic...

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #5,612 of 41,068

Quote:

I understand the comfort issue, especially with the weighty metal housing of the PS1000, but I have found their build quality to be very good even in the lower models like the SR60 and SR80.

I'm talking in the sense of the PS1000's. Their build quality and choice of materials is terrible for $1695 considered to both the HD800 and the T1, and that's totally fair to say.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #5,613 of 41,068

Quote:

I'm talking in the sense of the PS1000's. Their build quality and choice of materials is terrible for $1695 considered to both the HD800 and the T1, and that's totally fair to say.

Makes you wonder where the money is going. I have never been able to get over the Grado build quality.
They could be the perfect phone, but they feel like duct tape, hot glue, and staples.

Grado fans don't take offense, it's just my perception.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #5,614 of 41,068

Quote:

Makes you wonder where the money is going. I have never been able to get over the Grado build quality.
They could be the perfect phone, but they feel like duct tape, hot glue, and staples.

Grado fans don't take offense, it's just my perception.

Everyone needs to spend their money in the way the feel is best for them. I had concerns about build quality after reading some of the posts on here when I first signed up and began participating. I ended up speaking to five people in the industry who had pretty extensive backgrounds with Grados, who were not associated with the company, and who would not have any particular bias or reason to not be up front with me (that I could determine). One person had a modification biz, two of them were well-established audio reviewers/critics, one is the founder of an audio company that focuses primarly on headamps, and the last one was someone I respect on another audio forum website with over 20 years experience in headphones.  Two OTHER manufacturers were mentioned as having relatively poor build quality - particularly over the last few years - but Grados, while simple in their design, aren't any more problematic than any other company. AFter that, I decided to buy a pair...and based on my admittedly limited experience thus far, I have found the concerns to be completely unfounded. Simple does not mean cheap. Retro doesn't mean cheap. Just with anything else, if you take proper care of your things, you'll likely encounter fewer problems. If you fail to take care of your gear, you'll likely have more.

It just seems that people on head-fi tend to overexaggerate a bit more than I've experienced on other forums.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #5,615 of 41,068

Quote:

Why in the world would you buy a $1695 headphone from a company you feel makes "terrible choices in materials" and has lousy build quality? I don't see the sense in that.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #5,616 of 41,068

Quote:

It just seems that people on head-fi tend to overexaggerate a bit more than I've experienced on other forums.

I'm not exaggerating. I literally and truly think the look and feel shoddy. The caveat is that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.So if you're happy, congratulations, but I'm not a fan of pizza boxes and foam bowls.
Simple is great, and often superior from design and engineering standpoints, fewer opportunities for failure.
Simplicity is not implicitly cheap though.  I expect more for my money, that's all.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #5,617 of 41,068
Don't now til you try? 

I'm also pretty sure those are a review sample.

Quote:

Quote:

Why in the world would you buy a $1695 headphone from a company you feel makes "terrible choices in materials" and has lousy build quality? I don't see the sense in that.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #5,618 of 41,068

Quote:

I'm not exaggerating. I literally and truly think the look and feel shoddy. The caveat is that beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.So if you're happy, congratulations, but I'm not a fan of pizza boxes and foam bowls.
Simple is great, and often superior from design and engineering standpoints, fewer opportunities for failure.
Simplicity is not implicitly cheap though.  I expect more for my money, that's all.

Yes, you've made it very clear that you don't like Grados. I wasn't referring to you specifically.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #5,623 of 41,068
Has there ever been a "Head-Fi'er at their Head-Fi station actively listening" image thread?  Because I think that would be cool, especially if the pics incorporated the music enjoyed by the subject.  Put a slightly more personal take on this "let's all show off our gear" type thing, which is cool enough, but rather impersonal, if you ask me.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #5,624 of 41,068
Good idea, you should start one. 
Quote:
Has there ever been a "Head-Fi'er at their Head-Fi station actively listening" image thread?  Because I think that would be cool, especially if the pics incorporated the music enjoyed by the subject.  Put a slightly more personal take on this "let's all show off our gear" type thing, which is cool enough, but rather impersonal, if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back