Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Feb 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #4,156 of 41,170

Quote:
JUST got the 1200 so I have a bunch of reading to do and have not done any mods yet...am already interested in rolling an MC cart, though...
The Sansui is a 5000A and already showing a lot of promise with HD 800. @purrin is kind enough to help me re-cap the Sansui at the Bay Area Meet next weekend so I'm excited to see if I can reclaim some of the top end FR. Also hoping the Sansui can serve as my first pre-amp so I can borrow some pre-amps and see what would work best over some time getting to know everything together...thanks!!!

Ooo I've been thinking about getting an MC cart as well. Been eyeing the NOS SAE 1000LT because there are so many positive reviews about it. What cart(s) are you looking at? 

I have a Pioneer SX-850 that I would like recapped as well. It hisses throughout the volume range. I wonder what the problem is.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #4,157 of 41,170
 @AuralRelations:  It will take me awhile before I make any recos...but I have a Stanton 680 EL on it and just bought a Shure M97XE to keep me going until I know enough to "need" more...

If you get that NOS SAE 1000LT cart, please PM me with your report (after you have lived with it a leetle bit)!  I'll try to remember to let you know if re-capping takes some "hum" out of my Sansui.  Ping @shipsupt with Pioneer vintage receiver questions, he replaced a 950 with a re-capped 950 IIRC...
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuralRelations /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooo I've been thinking about getting an MC cart as well. Been eyeing the NOS SAE 1000LT because there are so many positive reviews about it. What cart(s) are you looking at? 

I have a Pioneer SX-850 that I would like recapped as well. It hisses throughout the volume range. I wonder what the problem is.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #4,158 of 41,170

Quote:

I'm not against alcohol, but I absolutely understand your point.  Sitting down and listening to music can always put me in a the perfect mood, regardless of what's going on.  That's something alcohol could never do.

this is true but under the influence of some chemical the interaction between music and mind can honestly leave you breathless. 

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #4,159 of 41,170

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #4,162 of 41,170
Feb 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #4,163 of 41,170
JUST got the 1200 so I have a bunch of reading to do and have not done any mods yet...am already interested in rolling an MC cart, though...
The Sansui is a 5000A and already showing a lot of promise with HD 800. @purrin is kind enough to help me re-cap the Sansui at the Bay Area Meet next weekend so I'm excited to see if I can reclaim some of the top end FR. Also hoping the Sansui can serve as my first pre-amp so I can borrow some pre-amps and see what would work best over some time getting to know everything together...thanks!!!

bringing the sansui up to spec will probably bring the high frequency response back defiantly if having issues in that range. i never had high frequency issues with my sansui before and never had humming issues with it either and it still has the original power filter caps inside. it should also make a great preamp as well since it can output up to 1.5v rms which is basically a +4dbu gain and what lot of professional power amps need to run at their fullest. people don't know but sometimes an under-powered power amp can sound too lean and bright and not performing way it should due to not enough voltage feeding the inputs. my yamaha likes lot of voltage from balanced outputs feeding it's inputs i found out and what got me reading up on pre-amps bit more and the whole -10dbv,0dbv,+4dbu gain thing.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #4,165 of 41,170
@RexAeterna,  that is great news- thanks!!  Would be nice if I could go 1200 > Sansui > EC Super 7 or SS amp > HD 800 and not need a separate pre-amp.

Yep- PRETTY photo, @zhenya!

Quote:
bringing the sansui up to spec will probably bring the high frequency response back defiantly if having issues in that range. i never had high frequency issues with my sansui before and never had humming issues with it either and it still has the original power filter caps inside. it should also make a great preamp as well since it can output up to 1.5v rms which is basically a +4dbu gain and what lot of professional power amps need to run at their fullest. people don't know but sometimes an under-powered power amp can sound too lean and bright and not performing way it should due to not enough voltage feeding the inputs. my yamaha likes lot of voltage from balanced outputs feeding it's inputs i found out and what got me reading up on pre-amps bit more and the whole -10dbv,0dbv,+4dbu gain thing.

Feb 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #4,169 of 41,170

Quote:
Beautiful.  Should have bought a Panamax instead of a Monster, but, eh. 
tongue_smile.gif

+1

i love my monster power center though

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #4,170 of 41,170

Quote:
Beautiful.  Should have bought a Panamax instead of a Monster, but, eh. 
tongue_smile.gif

Ha, not at the price I paid!  I just needed a pretty way to plug everything in and give some basic protection! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back